Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several banks specifically allow cardholders to generate disposable numbers for the users security (Citi and Cap One were cited previously- though I suspect others may offer it too).
American Express pioneered it (AFAIK) back in the late 90's. It's not only not new, it isn't even recent.

He didn’t “free the bird.” He hasn’t changed enough yet to claim that.
More to the point, that wasn’t the mission.
That was just the rationalization for the hasty impulse purchase. And wastin all this time on something so esoteric.

Sure, and the day Trump lost the presidency you had no reason to celebrate, right? After all, no material changes had occurred at that moment, right? Do you think that's an honest argument for anyone to make?

And yet, everything had changed on that day.

This is the point I'm making about Elon replacing a despicable engine of censorship and divisive and damaging ideology. The thing is, not everyone agrees about the ideology or the censorship, because it's easy to support the 'thought crime' tyranny that one agrees with. This is a psychic trap we must actively resist when we see it happening.

Sure, there are people complaining about the rubble and the upheaval, but that was the point. Reconstructing Twitter was always going to look like this, especially under Elon who works quickly and isn't afraid to disrupt. The screams from the sidelines will eventually subside, and this too shall pass.

How much would you pay if you had the means to take over a company and fix it? How about an app which affects an entire world of communication, now and into the future?

I'd say Starlink is another Elon gift that keeps on giving, for similar reasons...freeing people of that which inhibits their communication due to lack of comms infrastructure.

I say just give it time and enjoy the show.

I confess I didn't read the article, only excerpts posted here. I find that many media hit-pieces use a misleading headline and first paragraph, then correct them "a few paragraphs later," where the truth is missed by busy people (and algos) who read only the headline and first paragraph. Now why would the media do that?

If you were publishing a piece about EV ownership, why would your example be an ID4 owner, despite the fact that 75% of EV owners in the US drive Teslas? (more in California) Why would you describe the EV owner's extreme hardship in detail, then mention Tesla in one sentence "a few paragraphs later"?

It's quite a mystery. You tell me.
Um. It’s not even faintly a mystery Because the WHOLE STORY was about EV ownership spreading to less expensive vehicles -- and buyers able to afford 20,000-30,000 after incentives etc... It wasn’t about the Tesla, Mercedes BMW price point. It was about how the market has made a leap to a new and much larger tier of buyer.
It’s good news. And it DID note the important fact that once issue that continues to constrain the Id4 etc is lack of a reliable charging network, meanwhile it notes Tesla owners have confidence in theirs.

Last edited:
Technical question, couldn't Twitter just implement unique ID's and screen names, including blocking visually similar substitutions like 0 for O and 1 for l to completely stop fake accounts? Why even allow screen names that are different from account names?
Biggest issues would be people like Mary Smith. How many Mary Smith's exist?

Technical question, couldn't Twitter just implement unique ID's and screen names, including blocking visually similar substitutions like 0 for O and 1 for l to completely stop fake accounts? Why even allow screen names that are different from account names?

Not really. It's like the age-old problem of fighting SPAM. The target is constantly moving.

A few years ago I had a customer so irate that they kept getting lots of SPAM, even after being placed behind a filtering appliance. After a long long conversation with him, it finally sunk in when I told him "listen, I could be easily the richest man on the planet if I had found a bullet-proof solution to this problem."

I expect the bot and fake accounts problem to improve, Elon will bring to bear some good tools and new approaches, but it will continue to be a game of whack-a-mole.

Biggest issues would be people like Mary Smith. How many Mary Smith's exist?
Emails have to be unique, why not Twitter IDs? Mary Smith1, Mary Smith2, etc.
Not really. It's like the age-old problem of fighting SPAM. The target is constantly moving.
Same reply. I can't have the same email address as someone else.

Emails have to be unique, why not Twitter IDs? Mary Smith1, Mary Smith2, etc.

Same reply. I can't have the same email address as someone else.

Emails are not really unique, there are so many ways to game that system, it's why SPAM persists. It's easy to send an email "as" someone else, it's called spoofing, and while you can tighten up SPAM filtering to compensate for it, doing so also increases the false positive rate of blocking legitimate emails.

Emails are not really unique, there are so many ways to game that system, it's why SPAM persists. It's easy to send an email "as" someone else, it's called spoofing, and while you can tighten up SPAM filtering to compensate for it, doing so also increases the false positive rate of blocking legitimate emails.
I can't say I've ever had a spoofed email that didn't have a unique identifier which was different from the legitimate one.

Um. It’s not even faintly a mystery Because the WHOLE STORY was about EV ownership spreading to less expensive vehicles -- and buyers able to afford 20,000-30,000 after incentives etc... It wasn’t about the Tesla, Mercedes BMW price point. It was about how the market has made a leap to a new and much larger tier of buyer.
It’s good news. And it DID note the important fact that once issue that continues to constrain the Id4 etc is lack of a reliable charging network, meanwhile it notes Tesla owners have confidence in theirs.
Thank you. Next time I'll defer judgment until I read the whole article, instead of relying on excerpts and reviews posted here by fellow fanboys.

The trouble this time was that the article is paywalled and I can't bring myself to support the house of Broder.

Thank you. Next time I'll defer judgment until I read the whole article, instead of relying on excerpts and reviews posted here by fellow fanboys.

The trouble this time was that the article is paywalled and I can't bring myself to support the house of Broder.

just clear out your cache and you can usually read a couple more. It is also the house of Ross Douthat, Brett Stephens and David Brooks. You may find the first two more reasonable.

thank you. I just don't get it why Elon needs to get personally involved in every HOT TOPIC controversial issues and voice his opinion while he is seen as "the face of Tesla / Twitter and Space X". Zero upside and potentially harmful to the brands...

It's almost as if the guy doesn't have enough on his plate . . .

thank you. I just don't get it why Elon needs to get personally involved in every HOT TOPIC controversial issues and voice his opinion while he is seen as "the face of Tesla / Twitter and Space X". Zero upside and potentially harmful to the brands...
He can believe in free speech, but not hang around and amplify conspiracy theory nut job people. Even today amplifying people being critical of Kyle Rittenhouse tweet are bots because they dont have blue checkmarks. For F's sake Blue Checkmark verification was only released on iPhone anyway. I also believe that it is suspended anyway. Then throw in people like me who think the whole idea is dumb, and I wont purchase it just because I believe in Tesla and SpaceX like a lot of other Elon supporters do.

He can believe in free speech, but not hang around and amplify conspiracy theory nut job people. Even today amplifying people being critical of Kyle Rittenhouse tweet are bots because they dont have blue checkmarks. For F's sake Blue Checkmark verification was only released on iPhone anyway. I also believe that it is suspended anyway. Then throw in people like me who think the whole idea is dumb, and I wont purchase it just because I believe in Tesla and SpaceX like a lot of other Elon supporters do.
yeah. the "non verified = bot" is laughable. i bought the verification just to see if it changes anything for me... experience, reach, interactions, ads... and no... not really. immediately cancelled so I'm only paying for this one month. I'm certainly not a bot only because i don't want to pay ~$100/ year for something i dont value

Status
Not open for further replies.