Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - Twitter has to handle laws in every country it accept users from. This might be why they had some staff in that area. Had.

And it's another reason why Elon ranting that he'd allow any speech on twitter which didn't directly violate federal law was so hopelessly uninformed. Federal law doesn't apply in, for example, Europe and Twitter is very much a global platform despite Elon seeming to think of it as his pet US political vendetta engine.

It's a moot point, we're all armchair quarterbacks. Our opinions matter squat. Free speech, say your peace, but don't think it will make any kind of difference in the world to how this plays out.

Elon is going to run this as he sees fit, and he has the funds to keep it going for years even if it's losing a ton, if he wants.

Last edited:
US laws only apply to the US. My POINT was that there is a mosaic of legal frameworks that apply here. In some countries, laws for free speech are more restrictive, even in democracies (i.e. Germany and their more strict anti-hate speech laws).
But I don’t have any say over laws in Germany. He said that allowed speech should only by limited by the will of the people.

Reactions: advocate8
Well, since we’re in the US, speech is covered by federal law. Duh. If you remove the word federal the point still stands perfectly well so you’ll have to find another straw man argument.

Don’t you get tired of being wrong?

We're human, we all should be tired of being wrong, you included.

Don't you get tired of talking about something pointless? I mean, seriously, WTF is the point of this back and forth in this thread? It's like screaming underwater, it just doesn't matter.

But hey, have at it. Someone will tell you "you were right", and guess what, it STILL won't matter. ;)

I’m saying Elon forgot or didn’t think of it. That’s all.

It was a phrase. No one specifically said it but I am implying that if you don’t think Elon forgets stuff or doesn’t think of stuff then you are expecting the impossible.

Sorry for implying! 🙄

You're all over the road. I suggest letting off the gas.

Elon did not "forget" that he planned for free speech absolutism on Twitter. He meant it, and then when it failed he had to reverse himself.

He did not "forget" his design for selling unvetted blue checkmarks - he MADE that change while ignoring (and often firing) anyone who told him it was a bad idea, and then he had to pull it out because it was a horrible failure.

I'm glad you've noticed that no one actually asked for perfection from Elon. You may want to now feed back that reality into future rants you make towards others on the angle of "putting words in others mouths that never happened".

You're all over the road. I suggest letting off the gas.

Elon did not "forget" that he planned for free speech absolutism on Twitter. He meant it, and then when it failed he had to reverse himself.

He did not "forget" his design for selling unvetted blue checkmarks - he MADE that change while ignoring (and often firing) anyone who told him it was a bad idea, and then he had to pull it out because it was a horrible failure.

I'm glad you've noticed that no one actually asked for perfection from Elon. You may want to now feed back that reality into future rants you make towards others on the angle of "putting words in others mouths that never happened".
I think it’s very reasonable to think that people here are expecting perfection out of Elon when they say that he should have thought about such and such.

I’m implying people are expecting perfection out of Elon. I see nothing wrong with this based on the evidence.

I actually don’t know how else to label the hypocrisy but whatever. I’ll be more careful next time. Thanks for the advice! Next time I’m implying I’ll right I’m implying even though it’s blatantly obvious haha

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see how Twitter evolves over the next 6 months or so. It will probably be a very different experience a year from now, hopefully much better. I think Elon has botched the transition, but I would like to see him prove the naysayers and haters wrong.
Hopefully it will be much the same with a lot of the rough edges sanded off.

Better video on the platform will be interesting for sure.

Lots of other potential improvements. Its a good platform that has suffered a lot of neglect over the past 5+ years.

Reactions: 30seconds
I get so annoyed reading what people write here with no sense of actual thinking and wish to point a few things out over the last pages of discussion. Yes Elon is very talkative, yes he makes mistakes, yes he has not handled the transition politically correct and surely have also caused other issues at the same time.

However, these points below are in my honest opinion something that most any decent human, capable of having a normal conversation and discussion as it should always be should agree with. Without cancel culture influences or claiming that if one calls a Diver who insulted oneself a pedofile it cancels out all prior and future good deeds.

1. Free speech does not mean that people can impersonate others and pretend to act as another person to deceive or cause harm. That is not what free speech is about whatsoever. If anything, the key to free speech is transparency and faking comments is the opposite of transparency.

2. Free speech does not mean that one publicly can criticize ones own company and it never has, this is a given at any normal company these days as well as prior days. One does not go around in a town square saying the products one's company sells are *sugar* and expect to be praised for it.

3. The same thing applies to internal gossip and slandering of ones current company and leadership in corridors, in slack or other meeting areas, this does not constitute a normal acceptable working environment in most normal places. If one expects this to be acceptable throughout, especially at a transition time then one is a fool and people believing that is fine are also fools or are fooled by other fools. If you however make the same comments at home, with friends and family it is a different matter.

4. The last point, most successful transitions or change management at companies, from a poor performing company in decline comes from a sense of crisis and an urgency to get the needed change done ASAP. This has to be communicated and clearly understood and followed by the employees of a company. Not doing this will lead to a sub-par change and possible failure of the change. As the culture needs changing to achieve the goal set, you need to take drastic action to make it happen unless you want it to remain as prior or drag out the pain even further.

Those are the points I wish to make, make of it what you wish...

Interesting perspective from the CEO of Coinbase that was re-tweeted by Whole Mars Catalog.

1668654645691.png

But I don’t have any say over laws in Germany. He said that allowed speech should only by limited by the will of the people.
Just to point out ... After Musk bought, he was specifically asked by EU and he assured them that EU countries' laws would be followed.

So, I've always assumed EM meant that in each country local laws would be respected.
PS : I can't find the old article, here's a recent article.

Last edited:
Isn't that what Twitter does now ? Nazi symbols are banned in Germany but you can see them on Twitter here.
It is to some degree, but it seems staff intensive. And it appears that staff is significantly reduced.

I'd argue that they have some more global (Twitter-wide) rules today that govern all speech without regard to locale legality. If those rules are stricter, so be it. But if the goal is to allow everything permissible by law per locality, it is probably more challenging.

2. Free speech does not mean that one publicly can criticize ones own company and it never has
Actually it does. You have an absolute right to criticize your own company, the companies you buy stuff from, the companies you don't buy anything from, your local officials, and the government, without the government going after you for speaking out. Well, at least up to the point where your speech becomes threatening.

Being disciplined or fired by your company for criticizing your company is outside the bounds of free speech because a company is not the government, and (in the US) the First Amendment applies to and constrains the government. Although unfortunately for Elon, he's also railed against "cancel culture" -- how dare someone actually make you deal with the consequences of your speech.
Yes I know the case.

The point is - can someone start posting as a famous personality not a Twitter... and deprive that personality of using their name.

Esp. matters if the first Twitter users real name is not the one they are using on Twitter.
Wait until people start changing their usernames to Santa Claus and posting messages for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.