Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting perspective from the CEO of Coinbase that was re-tweeted by Whole Mars Catalog.

View attachment 875386
Not really. Some revelations on a single story is a pretty tiny piece of data to make that assumption.
First, understand citizen journalists are going to mainly be unable to dig into controversial stuff in the same way.

Elon is trying to spike the ball with the “coverage” on twitter but this is a pretty big misunderstanding of the full breadth and depth of journalism.
A “citizen journalist” isn’t going to be able to reliably cover your local city hall or school board meetings, changes in garbage collection, or spend 8 hours a day for a couple weeks digging out a case of nepotism in your county government...
Let alone write the big stories without the cover of insurance and lawyers that MSM has.
Any litigious person can take your house if you try “citizen journalism” and either get something seriously wrong or get it right but don’t meet the letter of the law for libel, slander etc. because you have zero training.
In short, you can’t crowd source 98 percent of what you need to know about.

Last edited:
You're not being honest.

"I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law." -Elon Musk. You quoted him, remember? Do you not understand the First Amendment? There's no such thing as Free Speech Absolutism EVEN UNDER THE LAW. Elon uses laws AND facts as a starting point. Remember this going forward. Legacy Twitter didn't even do that. They used their Leftist/feminist/woke narrative as a standard even though it's not illegal to be conservative, not a feminist, non-woke, etc. So, Elon has *already* improved Twitter by simply bringing leadership (his) back to the center.

Show me how this is 'free speech absolutism'. How's your reading comprehension?
Goalposts moved again!

This is parody. This isn't illegal.

Understand?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Intentionally misquoting someone is unethical, though the legality can be a gray area where there's plausible deniability. Impersonating someone in order to harm their reputation is wrong, even if smart people can see through the ruse. Why do you think phishing and various scams work? Why do people pay pet 'psychics'? Just because smart people might catch the ruse doesn't change the fact that the ruse is unethical, and often illegal as well.

Is it wrong to make your newborn vegan even if it hurts their cognitive and motor development? Nope. Not illegal, but scientifically it WILL harm (or kill) the child. It's illegal in a few states, but that has no bearing on whether it's actually harmful given the overwhelming scientific consensus.

Is it illegal to be an anti-vaxxer? Depends on the area. Are you okay with this even if it's 'legal'? How about spreading anti-vaxx nonsense (a la Jenny McCarthy) and creating a viral (pun fully-intended) disinformation campaign?

Would you have supported miscegenation laws before the landmark Loving v. Virginia case in 1967? I hope not. The law often lags behind ethical standards, often dismally so. Slavery was legal at one time. Didn't make it ethical. Segregation used to be legal. Still unethical. Child-labor was legal at one time. Didn't make it ethical. Coca-Cola put friggin' Cocaine in their drinks early on. Didn't make it right because it was legal, and sometimes the fact that something is illegal doesn't make it wrong. Prohibition. Unfair anti-drug laws. Illegal marijuana, many restrictive morality laws, etc.

Prostitution is illegal in most places, but divorce ruins people much more thoroughly. At least prostitution is honest, but it's mostly illegal. Yet, if you buy a woman a cheap dinner and she gives herself to you for free, that's legal. George Carlin has a whole bit on this. Basically it boils down to, "Selling is legal. F*cking is legal. Why isn't selling f*cking legal?" He's got a point. Legality is a bad angle when you're trying to be so literal, but for speech it's a good starting point as well as whether that which is being said is actually true. Impersonating another user or company to cause mayhem/chaos/harm (wittingly or not) violates the 'Is it true?' test.

Don't forget that lots of people aren't smart or observant and some just want to confirm what they already think without nuance or fact-checking. Remember the dopey reporters who breathlessly reported on Ligma/Johnson losing their Twitter jobs?

Don't be one of those people who need to be PERSONALLY affected by bad actors to finally 'get it', like homophobic people who blasted out hate until someone in their family came up gay. Understand how impersonation can hurt you too, or people who think like you, or whether your candidate will win the presidency in 2024.

Isn't FUD dangerous because it's built on twisted nugget of truth, taken out of context or dishonestly amplified to be sufficiently believable and sensational for people who don't know better? There's a reason why it works, and it's not because the masses are so astute. Spreading FUD about people via impersonation is unethical, just like misquoting someone.

You are spreading FUD about someone spearheading Tesla, a company in which you are presumably invested, thinking you're scoring points of some kind. All you're doing is contributing to the firestorm of hate that's already out there for Elon and for what, to prevent a conservative from being too candid on the world's 'town square'? Remember, tolerance is a good thing, and that must include diversity of viewpoint, 'ZenRockGarden'.

The name unfortunately does not check out.

Thankfully, I'm not a free speech absolutist, and there's excellent human moderators on this board to enforce the local standards which include mis-quoting people on purpose - something that's not a federal crime, but isn't tolerated here.

I'm so glad you could give us this example of non-criminal free speech being unacceptable. Keep up the good work!

To be a conservative? To have a different opinion about feminist ideology? BLM? Antifa? Trans women in women's sport? To not march in lockstep with Marxists? To disagree with any trending ideology or narrative? To disagree that impersonating someone is A-OK? To EXPRESS YOUR CONSCIENCE HONESTLY?

You make this too easy.

I was not aware that existing Twitter prevented anyone from "being conservative". I'd mostly seen them banning people for advocating and encouraging insurrection, violence, racial hatred, and intentional misinformation.

Or are those two an overlapping set? :)

Elon uses laws AND facts as a starting point. Remember this going forward.
He literally said that going beyond the law is contrary to the will of the people. That doesn't sound like a starting point to me...
Censorship on Twitter goes FAR beyond the law (not impersonating people is a VERY small part of that). Which is fine! He changed his mind.
1668700254349.png

Guess Elon gave George Hotz the source code to twitter and now he's just messing around to see how twitter works live....cause why not.

No one gave him the code. He just started inspecting pages and making his own code. Literally nothing given to him that you couldn't do if you never met anyone at twitter.

Him live streaming on Twitter needed access he couldn't get otherwise but the site code was NOT given to him.

Reactions: Ogre
No one gave him the code. He just started inspecting pages and making his own code. Literally nothing given to him that you couldn't do if you never met anyone at twitter.

Him live streaming on Twitter needed access he couldn't get otherwise but the site code was NOT given to him.
I don't think he would waste his time on this if he couldn't get access to some of the code. Not a ton of details about what exactly he's getting access to, but I can't imagine he'd bother if all he could do is give tips based on sipping from the firehose. He suggests here that accessing the source is going to be a part of this here:

George Hotz is a believe in independent/ citizen journalism. He sees our country as being run by a deep state and the media is controlled by the deep state. The only way to break the monopoly on power which the deep state holds over us is by

If you want to understand why the former CEO of a major AI company is dabbling in Twitter, he's told us as much. He sees it as a tool to fight the deep state.

If someone has the fight in them, I think a great step would be to start documenting the power structure. Build a GitHub repo of all the laws. Discover who wrote which part of each bill. Track the financial relationships and flow of money. Build a Wikipedia to document our oligarchs. Reverse engineer their schedules. Trace their lineage. Document the behaviors in real time, do not let the regime continue to hide.

This isn't speculation. He's said this is outright.

I kind of think this would be the perfect candidate for what Musk sees as the next CEO of Twitter. He's deeply technical and his beliefs mesh quite well with Musk's ideas of citizen journalism. I'm not advocating for Hotz driving Twitter here. I'm not quite sure what to think about his take on society. I'm just pointing out that his world view and Musks are... fairly compatible and he has the skills to run Twitter in a similar way to how Musk runs many of his companies.

Alternatively, if you look at Hotz's blog post above, it seems possible he's just interested in the challenge and doing this for the sake of preserving Twitter regardless.

But, but, but I keep reading here & elsewhere that no outstanding engineering talent would want to work with Musk at Twitter.

To be fair- he clearly said he does NOT want to work there long term and specifically said he's not a good choice for a leadership role there either.

He offered to come do some fun stuff there for 12 weeks if they cover room and board.

To be fair- he clearly said he does NOT want to work there long term and specifically said he's not a good choice for a leadership role there either.

He offered to come do some fun stuff there for 12 weeks if they cover room and board.

As I said in the tail of my comment above, it’s quite possible Hotz just dips his toes and leaves. But he was CEO at Comma AI and his and Elon’s goals are similar enough they might come to an agreement even if Hotz doesn‘t intend to step in now.

But odds are you are right and he is gone after 12 weeks. Either way it’s likely a big win for Musk’s re-invented Twitter.

Yeah, but remember all those humans Elon fired? A lot of them were moderating this kind of stuff
My understanding is they were only responding to complaints. Not pro-actively moderating such content.

Does twitter have automated image recognition to remove content ... ?

I know Facebook uses lots of people in US & Asia to look at content that needs to be removed. An extremely painful job, BTW.

This is what Twitter does ...

Twitter is still using automated content moderation tools and third-party contractors to prevent the spread of misinformation and inflammatory posts while Twitter employees review high-profile violations, Bloomberg said.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Nothing like a quick 12-week stint from a consultant to set things straight.

He may be able to help streamline their TPS report flow.

In the programming world, there is a phrase "10x developer". It is literal. Some developers bat way outside their league.

Hotz is talented and highly motivated, 12 weeks is plenty of time for him to have a significant positive influence on Twitter's code-base. Particularly if it's been poorly put together by typical corporate developers. In the software world, great developers are gold. I'm not a great developer, but I've done projects where I came in and sped processes up 100x in just a few weeks. Nothing on this scale, but I suspect Hotz is on another level than I am.

My understanding is they were only responding to complaints. Not pro-actively moderating such content.

Part of a complete moderation system involves an efficient feedback loop where end user complaints are checked by humans who can then block the source of violations and even inform/update the automation to block further examples of the same abuse.

Policing a service like this is HARD, and it can't just be done with AI, so yeah firing most of the humans does impact its effectiveness

I don't think he would waste his time on this if he couldn't get access to some of the code. Not a ton of details about what exactly he's getting access to, but I can't imagine he'd bother if all he could do is give tips based on sipping from the firehose. He suggests here that accessing the source is going to be a part of this here:

Will he have access to code later if he is hired, sure.

But the video in question twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1zqJVPnYLYdKB is him just playing around with publicly available information without logging in to twitter in any way. No inside access. He literally says he has no special access to twitter multiple times in the video.

I'm not sure why you are commenting on it if you aren't willing to either watch the video or accept the word of someone that has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.