Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have no idea.

And you don't understand Twitter won't actually comply with all 200 countries laws, just the economically important ones.

Why were you claiming expertise in this area ?

If you want anyone in any of those 200 countries to use Twitter you gotta comply with their laws. Humans will need to manage and maintain it over time.

Running this thing with a fleet of robots is science fiction, emphasis on the fiction. Twitter is headed below critical mass on people who know how to run the thing, and operate its processes. A complete rebuild will be needed with chaos between here and there - and hilariously getting the new thing stable and into most international markets will require the expertise they just fired and drove away. So Elon paid billions for all that smarts, will lose it and then have to spend even more to try and hire replacements to be successful.

Here's another gas can Elon - pour away - I'm very entertained.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
If it weren’t for all these news stories, I wouldn’t even know the headcount at Twitter is dramatically smaller.

George Hotz thinks 40 good engineers could run Twitter. This may actually turn out to be one of those things that seems like a mistake at the time but turns out to be brilliant.

In software, as team size gets larger you get diminishing returns. At some point, you get negative returns.

What if this is all a way to whittle down the headcount to a small set of hardcore employees who can run the show without a bloated headcount? Twitter profitability could shoot up massively.

07E00FCC-C29E-4343-912F-5FDDB1DA95F8.jpeg

Now is a nice time for Elon to appoint a CEO, say he will not interfere in TWITr day to day, and get TWITr back to normal ...
wash hands and absolve yourself ;)

The rumor I hear is Elon is considering a replacement CEO at TESLA because he's over-booked playing with his new $44B political speech toy.

Does anyone remember how the Elon-Fanboys promised us that this Twitter thing would not be a distraction?

Haha. I actually said this was a good decision. I may have been wrong. I don’t see how this is reversible though. If you search for 🫡💙 it certainly does look like a lot of people are leaving. And we all know Twitter is the most reliable source of news.
Well, IMO, it was a good decision for the employees that remained at Twitter as it gave them the option to leave with a reasonable severance. Turned out to not be such a good decision for Twitter 2.0 so far. We will see how it truly plays out in the time to come.

One point that I saw made was that the initial round of cuts also eliminated quite a few people who wanted to stay on. Probably should have switched the sequence around - give notice of having to be "hardcore" to stay on board by X date with a nice severance, but let people know that additional cuts would be coming at a less-nice severance.

Either way, the dumpster fire continues to impress.

If it weren’t for all these news stories, I wouldn’t even know the headcount at Twitter is dramatically smaller.

George Hotz thinks 40 good engineers could run Twitter. This may actually turn out to be one of those things that seems like a mistake at the time but turns out to be brilliant.

In software, as team size gets larger you get diminishing returns. At some point, you get negative returns.

What if this is all a way to whittle down the headcount to a small set of hardcore employees who can run the show without a bloated headcount? Twitter profitability could shoot up massively.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to it.

Reactions: 30seconds
Well, IMO, it was a good decision for the employees that remained at Twitter as it gave them the option to leave with a reasonable severance. Turned out to not be such a good decision for Twitter 2.0 so far. We will see how it truly plays out in the time to come.

One point that I saw made was that the initial round of cuts also eliminated quite a few people who wanted to stay on. Probably should have switched the sequence around - give notice of having to be "hardcore" to stay on board by X date with a nice severance, but let people know that additional cuts would be coming at a less-nice severance.

Either way, the dumpster fire continues to impress.

I'm just fascinated watching Elon pay $44B for a company with thousands upon thousands of experienced employees, and in just weeks he's burning it down to what could be just the hundreds of those who can't find a good alternative job or are on Visa's that don't allow them to switch.

If ya wanted to create a fresh startup in the social-media space, this is probably the least cash efficient way to do it in the history of mankind. You should have bought the rights to "Twatter" as a name, offered extreme salaries to people who wanted to volunteer to build the amazing Twitter 2;0 idea, and you still would have had around $43.5B in reserve for advertising and growing the thing.

Last edited:
The fact that Tesla continues, despite Elon, diverting his attention to other endeavors is a huge bullish sign which the media and market chooses to ignore but buyers of cars and trucks are taking notice
Then: "Tesla would be better off if Elon stepped away from managing Tesla and just played the visionary role."

Now: "Elon is too distracted with Twitter. Sell TSLA!"

The rumor I hear is Elon is considering a replacement CEO at TESLA because he's over-booked playing with his new $44B political speech toy.

Does anyone remember how the Elon-Fanboys promised us that this Twitter thing would not be a distraction?
The good news is that Twitter might not be much of distraction much longer.

Last edited:
The good news is that Twitter might not be much of distraction anymore.

The bad news is that Elon's adventure at Twitter seems to have pushed him to seriously consider stepping AWAY from his leadership role at Tesla where he's done some of his best work. That is NOT a net-win for Tesla and it underscores that those of us who were concerned about losing his engineering and design skills were very much right to be concerned

Elon doesn't seem very stressed out about the situation

It's not just total-remaining headcount. If you fire half of everyone, then lose 75% of the surviving half, you've now got roughly one in every 9 former employees still on staff. Some of those 9 guys will have been the only ones who knew how to do certain things. When something breaks, there may be no one who knows how to fix it, and no one in management who even knows who used to know. I read a report of one Twitter-survivor who indicated they had 5 new bosses in the last week.

Sure, you may have 800 of the former 6000 employees still around, and that COULD be enough headcount to keep the wheels on the thing, but only if you had exactly the RIGHT 800 remaining guys instead of 700 janitors, 50 middle managers, 20 night guards, 10 perl programmers, 10 wiring experts and 10 lawyers. :) Yes that example is a joke, but it makes the point.

Take that kind of attrition to ANY organization and ask if it'll keep functioning perfectly fine.

Last edited:
It's not just total-remaining headcount. If you fire half of everyone, then lose 75% of the surviving half, you've now got roughly one in every 9 former employees still on staff. Some of those 9 guys will have been the only ones who knew how to do certain things. When something breaks, there may be no one who knows how to fix it, and no one in management who even knows who used to know. I read a report of one Twitter-survivor who indicated they had 5 new bosses in the last week.

Take that kind of attrition to ANY organization and ask if it'll keep functioning perfectly fine.
But aren't they all woke layabouts? (Musk's strategy has the hallmarks of a plan laid out ion a cocktail napkin at 3 in the morning, then retrieved crumpled and indecipherable the next day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.