Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh wasn't this the crux of Epic VS Apple? This whole 30% cut will probably die in the next few years as ppl realize it costs them nothing (hyperbole I know) to run the store. Real costs have been estimated at 8% ish. 30% cut for doing nothing all day 24/7/356 is kind of insane. Countries aroudn the globe are starting to take notice.

I was more interested in seeing if people wanted the government to step in and regulate perceived excesses in the free market... or not ;)

What I would endorse is specifically going after Apple for it's tendency to try and punish apps that offer their customers the -alternative- to pay elsewhere. That feels genuinely anti-competitive imo.

I was more interested in seeing if people wanted the government to step in and regulate perceived excesses in the free market... or not ;)
I thhink it's excessive. They do jack for 30%. Credit card companies front orders of magnitude more risk for 3%. That said, you bring up a good point. However capitalism unchecked is bad, like all the botters scooping up all the gpus during supply chain shortages, etc etc.

This interview of Kara Swisher from a week or so ago has a fair amount of insight into what's been happening to Elon. I listened to the podcast interview and it's well worth the time.

Ummm. A "standard" retail store markup is 50%. These guys are putting Walmart at an average markup of 32% on in store items and that's at the low end of retail markups. Investor blog discusses retail markups
Right, retail markup is typically much higher than 6-15%. You can argue if the app store warrants as much of a mark up, but as an absolute percentage it isn't out of line. There is also a lower mark up for smaller developers.

Ugh wasn't this the crux of Epic VS Apple? This whole 30% cut will probably die in the next few years as ppl realize it costs them nothing (hypervbole I know) run the store. Real costs have been estimated at 8% ish. 30% cut for doing nothing all day 24/7/356 is kind of insane. Countries aroudn the globe are starting to take notice.

In a "free market" country however, companies are not obligated to provide a service at close to real costs. In fact, they are expected to do the exact opposite and maximize the margins they can get. The issue is anti-competitive behavior, but not the percentage they take per se. Note the Epic vs Apple lawsuit is still ongoing due to appeal, although the last round Apple mostly won (they were deemed not acting as a monopolist, although Apple is unhappy about the order requiring them to allow links to alternative payments, so is also appealing).

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/14/the-epic-games-apple-antitrust-battle-resumes-today-in-appeals-court/

Reactions: sunwarriors
should the government regulate apple and google fees in their respective stores? What level of fees are "acceptable" and who should decide that threshold?
Easy there cowboy, that's a can of worms you're baiting me with. Ask me specifics, well neither of us are in a position to dictate terms on a can of worms. lol, that rhymed. But if you ask me if 30% is high, I'd say hell yea.

Right, retail markup is typically much higher than 6-15%. You can argue if the app store warrants as much of a mark up, but as an absolute percentage it isn't out of line. There is also a lower mark up for smaller developers.

In a "free market" country however, companies are not obligated to provide a service at close to real costs. In fact, they are expected to do the exact opposite and maximize the margins they can get. The issue is anti-competitive behavior, but not the percentage they take per se. Note the Epic vs Apple lawsuit is still ongoing due to appeal, although the last round Apple mostly won (they were deemed not acting as a monopolist, although Apple is unhappy about the order requiring them to allow links to alternative payments, so is also appealing).

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/14/the-epic-games-apple-antitrust-battle-resumes-today-in-appeals-court/
Ugh, things also change and the definitions of things change.

YALL remember when you were charged per freaking text?? Or single phone calls?? Why's that? Cuz it really costs them next to nothing, but that's a whole other thing. Just cuz something is one way at first doesn't mean its gonna be that way forever.

YALL remember when you were charged per freaking text?? Or single phone calls?? Why's that? Cuz it really costs them next to nothing, but that's a whole other thing. Just cuz something is one way at first doesn't mean its gonna be that way forever.
I remember monthly plans with no minutes included and $.25-40/min after your first incoming minute free.

Reactions: cdub

They just switched from pay per use to a mandatory more expensive unlimited plan. They still got the margins they wanted. When the tech allowed them to reduce the costs of each text message it made sense do so, and it also swept in people that had low text volume.
AT&T streamlining individual messaging plans August 21st, leaving unlimited as the sole survivor | Engadget
They recently are getting new revenue also from bulk texters:
Nextup - Wireless Carriers Impose New Fees for SMS

They are making the same moves with data plans. The older grandfathered plans are having forced rate increases which pushes people to "unlimited" plans they don't even need.

Note as it relates to my comment, all of the above were largely driven by market forces. They weren't required by law to stop charging per text.

Easy there cowboy, that's a can of worms you're baiting me with. Ask me specifics, well neither of us are in a position to dictate terms on a can of worms. lol, that rhymed. But if you ask me if 30% is high, I'd say hell yea.

I'm absolutely asking those who demand Apple be forced to change it's fee structure within it's app store eco system who should decide what's reasonable, and what governmental authority should enable such forced change.

i think their fees are high, but they get to do what they want on their system. I don't believe they have the right to exert pressure on what app makers do outside the store which is where I think the anti-competitive problem exists

I'm absolutely asking those who demand Apple be forced to change it's fee structure within it's app store eco system who should decide what's reasonable, and what governmental authority should enable such forced change.

i think their fees are high, but they get to do what they want on their system. I don't believe they have the right to exert pressure on what app makers do outside the store which is where I think the anti-competitive problem exists
Price controls are constitutional as far as I can tell (though probably ill-advised IMO). I think the appropriate compromise is allowing apps to direct customers to go to a website to make payments.
Anyway, Twitter works fine on a web browser so that's an easy way around App Store policies. I bet this Apple storyline won't last long and there will be some new drama (psyop?) soon.

Price controls are constitutional as far as I can tell (though probably ill-advised IMO). I think the appropriate compromise is allowing apps to direct customers to go to a website to make payments.
Anyway, Twitter works fine on a web browser so that's an easy way around App Store policies. I bet this Apple storyline won't last long and there will be some new drama (psyop?) soon.

What part of the constitution enables the government to set pricing policies upon private businesses for the products they have created?

Status
Not open for further replies.