Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have I heard this argument before . . .

Oh yeah, now I remember. When Elon set out to build the best CAR in the world, which happens to be an EV. And when Elon set out to build the best ROCKETS in the world . . .
It just doesn’t work like that. Those analogies unfortunatley suck in practise.
You cannot compare engineering tasks with the prediction of human behavior.
Twitter is like FSD. Much too complex for an Elephant even on its toes.

If Apple cuts the Twitter app, there’s a good chance they cut the Tesla app, then we are all left in limbo.
The Moment Elon stops roaring is the Moment Twitter will get successful.

What part of the constitution enables the government to set pricing policies upon private businesses for the products they have created?
It's allowed during war time and emergencies. There are also some measures like when there are natural monopolies (example being government regulated utility pricing) as part of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
https://rooseveltinstitute.org/wp-c...strial-Policy-Price-Controls_Brief-202111.pdf

There are also measures like rent control. Rent control however has been challenged in court as unconstitutional and the justification to allow it to continue is largely based on the "emergency" of limited housing supply. As such they have been largely implemented in areas where housing supply has historically been limited.
Are Rent Control Laws Unconstitutional?

It would be very hard to argue there is an "emergency" that requires generally setting an upper limit on the share that app stores can take however (I don't believe there was even an attempt to argue that). The argument instead has focused on "monopoly" and anti-trust, but Apple seems to have won that battle already (other than the allowing of links to other payment methods). I haven't followed the case, but obviously Epic games runs their own store also, also distributes their games for multiple platforms (iOS is not an exclusive platform) and Apple does not have a monopoly position in the smart phone market either (they don't even have majority position). Many of the same arguments will apply to Twitter.

Last edited:
The guy whose very own car company refuses to deliver spare parts to independent repair shops complains about Apple's app store. You really couldn't make it up.
Additionally, if you were running a company and you had considered to start advertising on Twitter, would you even dream of starting to do so now (unless you want to sell pillows, that is)?

It just doesn’t work like that. Those analogies unfortunatley suck in practise.
You cannot compare engineering tasks with the prediction of human behavior.
Twitter is like FSD. Much too complex for an Elephant even on its toes.

If Apple cuts the Twitter app, there’s a good chance they cut the Tesla app, then we are all left in limbo.
The Moment Elon stops roaring is the Moment Twitter will get successful.

Truth Social, Trump's app, is still on the Apple and Google marketplaces.

ZERO chance Twitter gets removed. Zilch.

This interview of Kara Swisher from a week or so ago has a fair amount of insight into what's been happening to Elon. I listened to the podcast interview and it's well worth the time.

This is a great podcast covering Elon & Twitter from Kara Swisher's perspective, which I think mirrors a lot of people's opinions here on the topic.

I recommend everyone on this thread listen to or read it, and try putting yourself in Kara's shoes for a minute.

This is a great podcast covering Elon & Twitter from Kara Swisher's perspective, which I think mirrors a lot of people's opinions here on the topic.

I recommend everyone on this thread listen to or read it, and try putting yourself in Kara's shoes for a minute.
I just read the interview, and it really resonated with my thinking too. I've always been worried about Musk's circle - I said a few times on this forum also - so I completely agree with her on this. Tesla vocal fanboys do share part of the responsibility.

The guy whose very own car company refuses to deliver spare parts to independent repair shops complains about Apple's app store. You really couldn't make it up.
Additionally, if you were running a company and you had considered to start advertising on Twitter, would you even dream of starting to do so now (unless you want to sell pillows, that is)?

Bahaha, if Elon owns a car company that won't sell to local repair shops, then Tim Cooke's Apple is like the pimp who's peddling your sister for an obscene mark-up. Additionally.

Truth Social, Trump's app, is still on the Apple and Google marketplaces.

ZERO chance Twitter gets removed. Zilch.

TS isn't making any changes to the underlying economic liability of it's host. ;)

b7be340c3f791f085e33dac3d6c0117f.jpg

Does he really believe this stuff? This isn’t a rhetorical question.

Yes, he really believes this stuff (free speech being under threat). He bought Twitter because of the issues he had with their 'woke' (not my words) moderating and banning policy and now he sees the ‘woke' ones trying to cancel it.

First activists started pressuring companies not to advertise on Twitter (they said so themselves) and a lot of them have bowed to that pressure, which ofcourse they are not going to admit as it would make them look bad. And now those activists are pressuring Apple and Google to remove Twitter from their app stores (the activists said so themselves).

If the word ‘cancelling’ was ever appropriate it is in this case. It’s making Elon mad. You may say he brought it upon himself, but this is not how he sees it.

Yes, he really believes this stuff (free speech being under threat). He bought Twitter because of the issues he had with their ‘woke’ moderating and banning policy and now he sees the ‘woke ones’ are trying to cancel it.

First activists start pressuring companies not to advertise on Twitter (they said so themselves) and a lot of them have bowed to that pressure, which ofcourse they are not going to admit as it would make them look bad. And now those activists are pressuring Apple and Google to remove Twitter from their app stores (the activists said so themselves).

If the word ‘cancelling’ was ever appropriate it is in this case. It’s making Elon mad. You may say he brought it upon himself, but that’s not how he sees
Yes, understand that he was upset that a version of his politics were censored on Twitter. But how myopic can you get to then extrapolate a disagreement about terms of service to a Braveheart-style fight against “tyranny?”

I’m still a Musk fan so I guess I would prefer to believe that he’s a cynical bastard—whipping up his fan base with this kind of stuff—as opposed to being My Pillow stupid.

Yes, he really believes this stuff (free speech being under threat). He bought Twitter because of the issues he had with their 'woke' (not my words) moderating and banning policy and now he sees the ‘woke' ones trying to cancel it.

First activists started pressuring companies not to advertise on Twitter (they said so themselves) and a lot of them have bowed to that pressure, which ofcourse they are not going to admit as it would make them look bad. And now those activists are pressuring Apple and Google to remove Twitter from their app stores (the activists said so themselves).

If the word ‘cancelling’ was ever appropriate it is in this case. It’s making Elon mad. You may say he brought it upon himself, but this is not how he sees it.
The origin from Musk's rhetoric and him wanting to own twitter started because twitter banned Babylon Bee. He feels that even comedy is not safe because it leans right wing while the majority of comedians are left wing.

Yes, understand that he was upset that a version of his politics were censored on Twitter. But how myopic can you get to then extrapolate a disagreement about terms of service to a Braveheart-style fight against “tyranny?”

I’m still a Musk fan so I guess I would prefer to believe that he’s a cynical bastard—whipping up his fan base with this kind of stuff—as opposed to being My Pillow stupid.
Mark said it better than me:

He is getting closer and closer every day

The origin from Musk's rhetoric and him wanting to own twitter started because twitter banned Babylon Bee. He feels that even comedy is not safe because it leans right wing while the majority of comedians are left wing.

I'm not familiar with all the old Elon/Twitter comments, but my problem with a lot of things pushed off as a "joke", kidding, comedy is that a lot of times, it's just not anymore nor funny. You see this a lot of times with sexual harassment at work, bullys in general, everything is passed off as a joke when someone is caught saying something way off, threatening, etc...and the bully just hope it dies down and goes away.

Especially in this age of daily mass shootings (I think we're over 600+ a day now in USA), jokes tied to any of those topics have stopped being funny long ago. Some dude smashing a hammer at someone's head and actually hitting someone's skull deserves it?

I read that Kara Swisher article above (didn't listen to the podcast) and I'd say it's spot on. Elon is sorta like Putin and surrounds himself with folks that only agree with him and I think most of us will agree that's typically bad for a company/business. Flaws are not fixed/brought up because the leader has simply no flaw and is better/smarter than everyone else. His power/wealth (extreme/#1 in the world now) just makes him/people be extremely arrogant. I agree with her that he's like a celebrity/star athelete and needs to have a bit more thought in what he says/does. Him doing the whole woe is me, poor me is sorta an insult to all of us regular shmoes who really have little no wealth/power/food/etc.

There's nothing like failure though in life/things that allows one to re-evaluate things and be a bit more humble so maybe whatever happens with Twitter now will teach Elon to simply be better. Sorta like a 1 step back, 2 steps forward thing. Maybe this is all part of the grand scheme of things for him to get folks to Mars or some other thing.

I don't think the 1st amendment applies to private companies so Elon can still do whatever he wants. He just needs to deal with/accept the consequences of such an action (like being banned from App store/Google Play or losing advertisers) if that's where he wants to go.

As long as a company isn't breaking some other federal/state law (like discrimination laws or stuff like that), a company is free to do as they please.

Twitter was never a free for all and most companies also aren't because they don't want to piss off their customers and lose business.

I forgot to add that I think Amazon and Samsung has their own app stores as well which bypasses the Apple and Android fees. Amazon and Microsoft too has tried to make phones before in the past and it's not easy with how tough the competition is for that mature market.

Probably because said car company doesn't have enough spare parts to service their own cars, as evidenced by customers having long waits? Idk. Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.