Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has only owned Twitter for a month and a half. Of course he could just turn off the whole shadowban system.
He promises more transparency, we'll see what happens.

I found this hilarious. Exposure to Qanon will move the center rightward? I actually think suppression of the right fringe has hurt the left.

Big Tech is decidedly already right wing. Even studies on Twitter show that amplification of right wing posts exceeded liberal posts.

Seems that Sacks and other conservatives were terrified that Twitter was trending towards actual democracy.

Big Tech is decidedly already right wing. Even studies on Twitter show that amplification of right wing posts exceeded liberal posts.

Seems that Sacks and other conservatives were terrified that Twitter was trending towards actual democracy.

Amplification by the algorithms I believe. However I'm sure Twitter's human judgement was biased against the right. Not necessarily because their policies were applied unevenly but because the policies themselves contradicted right wing opinion (e.g. COVID misinformation policy, misgendering)

He has only owned Twitter for a month and a half. Of course he could just turn off the whole shadowban system.
He promises more transparency, we'll see what happens.

During that time he has demanded "transparency" while not only giving none, but presenting a series of self-contradictory claims that he would make "Free speech absolutism" allowing any speech that didn't violate federal law.... err wait, not actually that, but "free reach" where twitter downranks and suppresses bad stuff but still claims that speech is "free", but wait doing EXACTLY that at Twitter 1.0 is now what they're against, and they'll use a blue-ribbon panel of experts to establish standards for conduct... err wait that's been abandoned since Elon's mad at various people, so um.... yeah the new Twitter 2.0 will be doing.... something... using someone's standards... with maybe some free-ish speech, and maybe downranking/no-free-reach unless maybe doing that is bad, with a non-existent review panel...

Oh hell let's confess - Twitter 2.0 will work almost exactly like Twitter 1.0 did, but with Elon making the political bias decisions. the end

There's a lot of transparency. Elon pretty much blurts out everything he's going to do.

There's just not a lot of consistency or direction.

Elon has mostly blurted out inconsistent things he DOESNT do. "Free Speech Absolutism" never happened, probably never was even considered. Downranking was going to be the amazing innovation, except now it's what was wrong at Twitter 1.0 so instead of adding it, they'd seemingly be removing what they said they'd add under the 'freedom of speech not reach" flag.. Anyone remember that panel of experts to decide a well reasoned set of unbiased rules of conduct which would make all major reinstatement decisions? Oops - abandoned and reinstatements are done personally by Elon. Blanket amnesty! Oops no it's not blanket it's just for some unknown subset of people picked to be mostly likely to include Elon's friends.... on and on it goes

I would love it if Elon actually had a well thought out plan for Twitter. That idea to have an expert posting standards panel with published criteria sounded promising, but as best I can tell it's abandoned. Serious work to stamp out mis-information would be exciting - however Elon seems mostly oriented the opposite direction other than discovering Twitter had existing community-notes mechanisms he likes to take credit for and randomly retweeting lies about Pelosi's husband.

Last edited:
You make an interesting point but there is an element that will tell you that not suppressing the fringe left has a desensitization effect toward their…..diversity of tactics.

I say let the fringe on all sides speak their mind so long as they’re following the law and the best ideas in the marketplace will prevail.
The best ideas often don't prevail, it's usually the most persuasive that do, even when they're bad.

Reactions: advocate8
Elon and Pepe is such a high level meta. Like the Chinese holding up a white paper. Pepe got popular because he was versatile. At one point someone one made up joke that white nationalists were supposed to be using Pepe and ofc the media swallowed the story because they wanted to believe it. Then some alt right started to actually use pepe making the joke true. Then Trump used Pepe and later Hilary denounced Pepe. Even protestors in Hong Kong used Pepe. A very versatile frog living his viral evolution.

Sources

Some journalists will read whatever they want into the poor frog. And Elon is playing on that, in a very high level meta that only super-intelligent autists will find funny, meanwhile lazy unintelligent journalists will act like lazy unintelligent journalists, and he sure doesn't mind that world get to see them for what they are.

very high level meta frog memes. OK.

But with fair and balanced enforcement and transparency going forward.

It’ll be refreshing to see.

Nothing stated shows anything about it being "fair and balanced" going forward. Just bc Elon says it doesn't make it true.

Find any questionable tweet or account. Now think how a right-leaning person would treat it and a left-leaning person. There are no neutral or unbiased people. Everyone has bias.

One of the examples last night came from November 21, 2022. Gee, who owned Twitter then?

Anyway, we knew all this stuff two and a half years ago.

Elon desperately wants there to be a controversy here. The two file drops so far have been roundly roasted by people who can read.

He doesn't seem very focused on the mission anymore, tbh.

This chart comparison clearly illustrates the strong influence the Twitter saga has had upon TSLA when compared to AMZN over the past year.

TSLA - Black
AMZN - Green

1670593803940.png

Hopefully this comprehensively demonstrates once and for all just how the Twitter deal has negatively affected TSLA in a markedly different way than the Macro environment's effect upon both of these stocks.

I had no idea the Twitter purchase had also affected AMZN in such a similar way. 🤔

/s

You make an interesting point but there is an element that will tell you that not suppressing the fringe left has a desensitization effect toward their…..diversity of tactics.

I say let the fringe on all sides speak their mind so long as they’re following the law and the best ideas in the marketplace will prevail.
Define far left.

Actually Elon called San Francisco far left last night and SV as centrist. He actually used the chart that shows political donations by tech companies which shows Twitter employees (not executives) at 98% Democratic donations and of course ignored that Tesla was 94%. Ok so why does the right always use San Francisco as the picture of far left. I have one idea. Whats yours?

At least you had the /s.

Replace AMZN with ENPH and see what you get :)

We all know what they say about statistics.
Yes, when making comparisons it is always a good idea to compare stocks that are in as different a league as possible.

Here's a comparison with a few more closely related charts added. (you CAN tell that they are related, can't you?)

TSLA-black
AMZN-green
SPX-orange
NDX-blue
MSFT-pink
META-violet

1670596609995.png

There seems to be a trend here... though Facebook seems to have been hit harder by the Twitter purchase than were the others.

I guess that TSLA was lucky to have fared so well. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.