Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon basically promoting the idea that many former twitter employees were apologists for child abuse. This is basically a continuation of Qanon/pizzagate type conspiracy theories. Although he has tried to spare his friend, Jack Dorsey, from the insinuations, it looks like Jack has sustained some collateral damage if you read the commentary on Twitter.
I'd like to see Elon suspended from Twitter for promoting violence.

Some points about what worries me about Elon & Twitter, not in order:
  • the circle of yesmen and conservative or libertarian folks that speaok to Elon. He wishes to be politically neutral, he is not
  • every philosophy/social science books published since the '60 asserts that there is no "political neutrality". In a way, everything you do is political: of course, some words/actions more than others. So not only Elon is not practically political, he theoretically can't be.
  • never seen Elon so inconsistent. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant!", "Free speech!", ***leaking internal mails and DMs and chats from Twitter emplyers years ago and then today's email about suing employees violating NDAs. I could even agree with the second part, but not if you're the first violating that privacy. He decides everything.
  • Again, this is the center of it all: he decides everything. He decides what Twitter is what is not, what free speech is and what is not. No debate, no arguments, just his decision, on a whim.
  • Never seen Elon so inconsistent with people: first Yoel is a good guy in Trust and Safety, then he throws him under the bus with allegations, 12-years old quotes, etc.

In the end, I hope Tesla and Tesla's board will never let Elon be the chaotic dictator he's at Twitter.

Some points about what worries me about Elon & Twitter, not in order:
  • the circle of yesmen and conservative or libertarian folks that speaok to Elon. He wishes to be politically neutral, he is not
  • every philosophy/social science books published since the '60 asserts that there is no "political neutrality". In a way, everything you do is political: of course, some words/actions more than others. So not only Elon is not practically political, he theoretically can't be.
  • never seen Elon so inconsistent. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant!", "Free speech!", ***leaking internal mails and DMs and chats from Twitter emplyers years ago and then today's email about suing employees violating NDAs. I could even agree with the second part, but not if you're the first violating that privacy. He decides everything.
  • Again, this is the center of it all: he decides everything. He decides what Twitter is what is not, what free speech is and what is not. No debate, no arguments, just his decision, on a whim.
  • Never seen Elon so inconsistent with people: first Yoel is a good guy in Trust and Safety, then he throws him under the bus with allegations, 12-years old quotes, etc.

In the end, I hope Tesla and Tesla's board will never let Elon be the chaotic dictator he's at Twitter.
There is no inconsistency, the NDA limits what employees can leak to the public, it doesn't mean the company itself cannot release internal information to the public, that's the whole premise behind the concept of company PR.

As for Elon Musk decides everything, well duh, he paid tens of billions for it, of course he gets to decide everything. Musk haters cheered repeatedly for the court to force him to pay billions for twitter, now you guys find it hard to swallow that he gets to decide everything inside the company he paid billions for? Tough.

I'm trying to understand how Elon is ranting about "shadow banning" which is basically EXACTLY what he said he plans to do with "freedom of speech but not freedom of reach".....

Go ahead - explain to us the absolute horrific evils of one, and how it's different from the other. Give details.
Simple, one is secret practice without appeal which can and has been misused, the other is/will be a transparent process where people know what happened to them and can appeal the decision.

Basically the difference between a Chinese prison and a US prison, both incarcerates people but it's the process that makes one evil, the other not so.

There is no inconsistency, the NDA limits what employees can leak to the public, it doesn't mean the company itself cannot release internal information to the public, that's the whole premise behind the concept of company PR.

As for Elon Musk decides everything, well duh, he paid tens of billions for it, of course he gets to decide everything. Musk haters cheered repeatedly for the court to force him to pay billions for twitter, now you guys find it hard to swallow that he gets to decide everything inside the company he paid billions for? Tough.
I'm not saying that's illegal, I'm saying that's inconsistent with his own motto.
Musk long ago entered the political/moral/ethical realm with his own "free speech absolutism".
You can't really be a champion of free speech and transparency, so much you actively leak internal communication, and then punish/sue people who do the exact same thing.

I'm not saying that's illegal, I'm saying that's inconsistent with his own motto.
Musk long ago entered the political/moral/ethical realm with his own "free speech absolutism".
You can't really be a champion of free speech and transparency, so much you actively leak internal communication, and then punish/sue people who do the exact same thing.
Everything you do and say while on the clock are considered to be company property and have not violated any privacy of individuals as the company can do whatever it wants with its property. Anything you know after signing of a NDA are also considered company property and you can be sued for giving it away without permission.

I'm trying to understand how Elon is ranting about "shadow banning" which is basically EXACTLY what he said he plans to do with "freedom of speech but not freedom of reach".....

Go ahead - explain to us the absolute horrific evils of one, and how it's different from the other. Give details.
You will be notified why your tweet is not amplified and how to appeal. So essentially the "shadow" part of banning is gone.

Elon has done a great job at Tesla, but being CEO of the company with the world’s most important mission and >100,000 employees is not a part-time job! Promote him to Chief Product Officer (he would like that job more anyway!) and have another talented person take over the role of chief executive officer. I would love someone like Satya Nadella running Tesla.

Besides that I hope he just focuses on SpaceX! Focus your time on getting humans to Mars, that would be humanity’s greatest achievement since the dawn of mankind! And a much more admirable goal than “absolute free speech” (not even a good thing!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.