Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Experts.
Few if any of these kings of the boardroom have done anything close to what Musk has done to benefit the country & humanity. Focused on MBA manipulating of corporate accounting to drive executive bonuses with crumbs falling to investors. As someone who was a VP 0f R&D and a direct report to CEOs and was at board meetings I can't say how unimpressed I was with most every one of those pontificators I knew. Let Elon have a few bad quarters or a bad year and suddenly the gutsy visionary CEO is Rocket Man Bad. The positivist in me rejoices in that the sane 20% still appreciate Elon's talents.
I think Tesla succeeded in spite of him and not because of him.

How exactly does a tongue-in-cheek change of his bio, which will likely be different again in a few weeks, go at the expense of his supporters, customers and other companies?

What damage does it cause? Does it change anything about how people nowadays view Elon? More importantly: does anybody even notice, except for a bored journalist at BS who feels the need to write another thirteen-in-a-dozen article about Elon to generate clicks?

News flash: no one cares anymore.
The highlighted statement is false. See Dave Lee's video posted just a few posts down from yours (quoted below).

Dave Lee did a video discussing possible brand damage done to Tesla by Elon's Twitter actions. Seems the general consensus in the comments is that damage has indeed been done.

The question (as others have already mentioned) - is how much damage to the company as a result of brand damage has Elon done... How much profit has Tesla lost because of Elon's actions?

But this has all been hashed out ad-nauseum already - queue up the following arguments:
  • Tesla is production limited, so it doesn't matter (would Tesla have had to reduce their prices recently if this didn't matter?)
  • Tesla wouldn't be here without Elon, so he can do what he wants (This is irrelevant - a red herring)
  • No one really cares (see brand damage survey results above)

I think Tesla succeeded in spite of him and not because of him.
It's not really possible to know much about Tesla's history and think that, so all you're actually saying is that you know almost nothing about Tesla's history. Ashlee Vance's book would be a good place to start if you want to remedy that.

Last edited:
The highlighted statement is false. See Dave Lee's video posted just a few posts down from yours (quoted below).

The question (as others have already mentioned) - is how much damage to the company as a result of brand damage has Elon done... How much profit has Tesla lost because of Elon's actions?

But this has all been hashed out ad-nauseum already - queue up the following arguments:
  • Tesla is production limited, so it doesn't matter (would Tesla have had to reduce their prices recently if this didn't matter?)
  • Tesla wouldn't be here without Elon, so he can do what he wants (This is irrelevant - a red herring)
  • No one really cares (see brand damage survey results above)
When we only had three channels and a couple of local/national news rags, you kinda had to take things at their word. If a lie was repeated enough, “truth” it was.

Today people have a choice and people who can think for themselves aren’t buying the FUD and MSM lies.

So easy to click on something else to read, listen to, or watch, it’s lovely!

• Disagree
Reactions: philw1776 and TSLY
Not because I think he walks on water, but because simply I've seen no proposed candidates that I can think do even 1/5th as good a job as Elon, despite him being a controversial figure.
I think at this point a less controversial CEO would be better for Tesla if they were reasonably competent. Elon could remain as CTO or whatever so his technological inputs would still benefit the company.

First part first - most CEOs have NOT been with their respective companies for as long as Elon.

There is a reason for that, companies at different stages need different leadership. Tesla is no longer a struggling startup fighting for it's life. More mature leadership would be beneficial at this point and Elon seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

I think at this point a less controversial CEO would be better for Tesla if they were reasonably competent. Elon could remain as CTO or whatever so his technological inputs would still benefit the company.

There is a reason for that, companies at different stages need different leadership. Tesla is no longer a struggling startup fighting for it's life. More mature leadership would be beneficial at this point and Elon seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

Well, since we are expressing our opinions, I totally disagree. A traditional CEO would mire Tesla in the "status quo" and many of the things that differentiate Tesla and how they are constantly pushing the envelope in technology, would disappear. Elon's ability to stand up to the BS has been instrumental in pushing Tesla forward. Remember how crappy a company it was before he showed up? It would have been dead by 2009 if he hadn't taken over. Even the members of the board at the time said as much.

Tesla is just entering the steep portion of the S-curve of growth, with a goal to > 10X output in cars and > 100X output in stationary storage in the next 7 years. Elon has the perfect technical chops for that AND to keep Tesla's technical/competitive edge. Without him, the pace of innovation is likely to slow. I've seen not a single candidate proposed by anyone in this group to replace hime. Anyone? Lot's of armchair quarterbacking because people are butt-hurt over Elon's change in political affiliation, but no one ACTUALLY that has said "hey, this guys is AVAILABLE and would ACCELERATE the mission". Tim Cook type people are actually a lot harder to find that you realize. Drew B is not even a Tim Cook, not even close. Neither is Zach. And neither of them hold a candle to Elon in technical chops

And as I said earlier - it's a moot point. No one can get Elon voted out. No one can overcome the 2/3'rds majority vote needed to do that.

Indeed, the history of business is replete with talented entrepreneurs who were amazing at getting a new company going and then weren’t equipped to manage a mature, major corporation. Two greatly different skills with not a lot of overlap and in fact some required characteristics that clash.
It’s a business school cliche, it is so common.

A traditional CEO would mire Tesla in the "status quo" and many of the things that differentiate Tesla and how they are constantly pushing the envelope in technology, would disappear.
I didn't say "traditional" I said less controversial and more mature. Anyone working at Tesla for an extended period is obviously well acquainted with pushing the envelope and not doing things in a traditional manner. There is this false impression that Elon is the only person on the planet who knows how to think differently, he is not. There is also a failure to acknowledge how many of Elon's ideas not only failed but slowed the company progress. Until recently Elon's actions were overall a net positive for the company but many of his actions last year started reversing that trend.

I didn't say "traditional" I said less controversial and more mature. Anyone working at Tesla for an extended period is obviously well acquainted with pushing the envelope and not doing things in a traditional manner. There is this false impression that Elon is the only person on the planet who knows how to think differently, he is not. There is also a failure to acknowledge how many of Elon's ideas not only failed but slowed the company progress. Until recently Elon's actions were overall a net positive for the company but many of his actions last year started reversing that trend.

Well, like many things, we'll agree to disagree. If this ever comes up for a vote, my thousands of TSLA shares will back Elon to stay as CEO.

How exactly does a tongue-in-cheek change of his bio, which will likely be different again in a few weeks, go at the expense of his supporters, customers and other companies?

What damage does it cause? Does it change anything about how people nowadays view Elon? More importantly: does anybody even notice, except for a bored journalist at BS who feels the need to write another thirteen-in-a-dozen article about Elon to generate clicks?

News flash: no one cares anymore.
It’s obvious his attention is focused on Twitter and not on Tesla or any other companies.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Writing is on the wall for coal. Coal is the dirtiest fossil fuel and contains trace amounts of radioactive elements which are all released into the atmosphere: Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

Crude oil and natural gas still have the carbon emissions issue but don't contain nearly the same amount of radioactive crap in them. Nuclear waste is many times more radioactive than coal of course but it's all contained, not released into the environment.

That's correct. Nuclear is much safer than coal by any metric. Even (foolishly) ignoring the health hazards of climate change, coal is also much worse on a cancer-per-kWh comparison - including the 3 major meltdowns: Fukushima, Chernobyl, and Chatsworth.

But that assumes meltdowns won't be much worse or more frequent in the future. And with Russia actively bombing nuclear power plants as we speak, and many of the world's plants exceeding 40 years old, that may not be a sound assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.