Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Model Y is likely to end the year (and currently appears to already be) the best selling car in the world.

Seems attractive enough to mainstream buyers to me.

But, that isn't anything new.

If a company fails to innovate and fails to bring out new models then their sales begin to drop.

It is true that its a bit different with EV's which tend to be supply limited, and not demand limited. But, I am concerned that Tesla doesn't really have anything new to offer mainstream buyers.

This won't impact them in the short term, but could in 3-4 years.

Reactions: advocate8

If a company fails to innovate and fails to bring out new models then their sales begin to drop.

It is true that its a bit different with EV's which tend to be supply limited, and not demand limited. But, I am concerned that Tesla doesn't really have anything new to offer mainstream buyers.

*Cough* Model 3 refresh
*Cough* CyberTruck

Reactions: 30seconds and JRP3
I don't understand what the issue is. By their own admission they are less than 70% Govt funded. To be accurate they are 66% Govt funded.

If your heart burn is due to the 3% difference between 69 and 66%, I agree you have a point.
The issue is that the label "gov't funded" has negative implications. Specifically, that the government controls their content, which is not the case. It's a label that never existed in Twitter until Musk incorrectly labeled NPR as "state affiliated media". That was false, but to save face he changed it to "government-funded media." Again, a new label which was only created so Musk can claim he never backtracked. He just keeps digging a deeper hole by doubling down.

The issue is that the label "gov't funded" has negative implications. Specifically, that the government controls their content, which is not the case. It's a label that never existed in Twitter until Musk incorrectly labeled NPR as "state affiliated media". That was false, but to save face he changed it to "government-funded media." Again, a new label which was only created so Musk can claim he never backtracked. He just keeps digging a deeper hole by doubling down.
Is CBC less than 70% Govt funded or not ?

Is CBC less than 70% Govt funded or not ?
It's really irrelevant who funds it if the entity funding isn't pulling the strings as far as which stories get promoted and which do not. Similarly, the research of a professor is more a reflection of the research priorities of that one professor and not the university that employs him or her -- that's why the concepts of tenure and academic freedom are so important.

It's really irrelevant who funds it if the entity funding isn't pulling the strings as far as which stories get promoted and which do not. Similarly, the research of a professor is more a reflection of the research priorities of that one professor and not the university that employs him or her -- that's why the concepts of tenure and academic freedom are so important.
If it is really irrelevant then why should that label cause such heartburn?

Their reporting and opinions should speak for itself. They are afraid their lack of neutrality will now be seen to have a motive.

Their reporting and opinions should speak for itself. They are afraid their lack of neutrality will now be seen to have a motive.
No, they are afraid the misleading labels will allow certain types to dismiss anything they report as "fake news" or some other such nonsense. Should Elon label Twitter as "Saudi Government Funded" because of their investment?

No, they are afraid the misleading labels will allow certain types to dismiss anything they report as "fake news" or some other such nonsense. Should Elon label Twitter as "Saudi Government Funded" because of their investment?
And Tesla should be labeled as "PRC government-funded", because it is. Tesla becomes China’s most subsidized EV maker by receiving $325M in 2020

Not only that, but we didn't hear a peep out of Elon or Tesla about COVID lockdowns as Elon was simultaneously bitching about Alameda County's rules. Who's actually pulling the strings? I think Elon himself needs a "PRC government-funded" label too. And the label should say "PRC government-controlled" now that I think about it. I can't think of another good reason why he'd be so publicly opposed to what Alameda County was doing in Fremont and not say anything about what the PRC was doing in Shanghai unless they are the ones pulling his strings.

Last edited:
If true, strange how Musk had no problem with it until Microsoft stopped being a Twitter advertiser. But it's probably an Elon.

If we take the republican view that spending is "free speech" then this would basically be Elon the free-speech-absolutist retaliating for a business deciding to exercise their 1st amendment rights.

Reactions: gforce2002
This thing that Elon is doing with these tags aren't exactly bad they're just incomplete. If this is about making a news source's bias known then they should have a link to that news source that goes into the potential biases that that news source might have. This could include government control, party allegiance, dark money etc.

But the way he's using it it looks like he's just trying to slime news sources he doesn't like.

This thing that Elon is doing with these tags aren't exactly bad they're just incomplete. If this is about making a news source's bias known then they should have a link to that news source that goes into the potential biases that that news source might have. This could include government control, party allegiance, dark money etc.

But the way he's using it it looks like he's just trying to slime news sources he doesn't like.
Waiting for the “had the largest settlement ever in a defamation case due to lying” tag.

Waiting for the “had the largest settlement ever in a defamation case due to lying” tag.
NPR has no government control.
If he was actually interested in Truth he’d come up with a label that didn’t insinuate that.

What he did was a rhetorical trick that is straight out of the Fox playbook and that of politicians across the spectrum. Take a word or phrase or part of an idea that is technically true, but carries a heavy derogatory and inaccurate connotation, put it in play, step back and say “What? It’s true isn’t it?"
It may be true but it’s not Truth.
This is the entire theme of the movie "Absence of Malice.” Something that is technically accurate is not necessarily morally true and can badly mislead many who are exposed to it.
In this case, the misleading is intentional. The owning of some Libs was just icing.

Last edited:

Sales keep increasing.
They refresh models regularly... i.e. Model S refresh, Model X refresh, Model 3 refresh
New models Model Y, Cybertruck, $25K model (Mexico factory)

Reactions: bkp_duke
Or is it...
Always what Elon does is good. Just look at an angle that shows him in a good light.

Or.. the view of people like me who feel Elon is a brilliant car and energy-product designer who has changed the world, made fabulous vehicles that I personally enjoy every day, and he ALSO is a raging a-hole quite frequently who's adventure in Twitter was founded on the massive personal lie of "Free Speech Absolutism" and complaints about biased behavior which he is now personifying at the helm of Twtitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.