Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's "350kW... a children's toy" tweet and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you are making this big fuss over 2-6h a year? You spend more than that in a year at gas stations filling your tank. EVs fill at home while you are sleeping. Whether having to stop to recharge is a pain in the ass is all about how one persieves it. Many see it as restful.

For the love of god. I've addressed this multiple times. And home charging? Seriously? That's your solution for ROAD TRIPS?

For the love of god. I've addressed this multiple times. And home charging? Seriously? That's your solution for ROAD TRIPS?

No - open your ears. You complain about charging on road trips (although something tells me you have never done that) and we - ALL FORMER ICE DRIVERS - complain about wasting time filling up at gas stations when not on road trips -- which is the vast majority of the time.

Got it now?!

So, you are making this big fuss over 2-6h a year? You spend more than that in a year at gas stations filling your tank. EVs fill at home while you are sleeping. Whether having to stop to recharge is a pain in the ass is all about how one persieves it. Many see it as restful.

As much as you may disagree with alseTrick, unfortunately, that is the perception of the general public on BEV cars.
"Range anxiety" and "Long recharge times", even though they are not applicable for day-to-day running of the car, will always be painted as the huge negatives by most of media and car reviews out there; and yes, most of those reviews were done by people who have been driving ICE cars all their lives.

Model 3 is for the mass; and Elon wants to sell to the general public and not just BEV enthusiasts as in this forum.
Instead of dismissing this concern, I am sure Tesla is seeing this as their top priority and trying its best to continually improve on range and recharge time issues to gain wider and wider acceptance by ICE drivers.

CARB-ZEV credits per vehicle:

Starting Model Year 2018 (enacted 2016):

Range per UDDS test protocol:

Actual credit value is 1% of UDDS range plus 1/2 credit
Example - 249 miles UDDS * 1% = 2.49 + 0.5 = 2.99

Anywhere I can find a list of UDDS test results for MY17 cars in order to determine how many ZEV credits they would earn under 2018-2025 system?

Except it's not a race. That's a logical fallacy.

Spending even more time traveling than one already does, just to make the same trip, is a pita. Period.

That's why I said I hope the 3 is compatible with these more advanced chargers. It just happens that a lot of folks have gotten "sore" over my comments and are now incapable of objectively discussing how it would be great to no longer have to spend 30+% of your trip charging.

I disagree with bolded, vehemently. It may be true for you, but it sure isn't true for me. I used to be like you back in college, whenever I drive back home from Berkeley, I wanted to do it in one long hop with at most one stop, and I would get home or back to school irritated and tired. Then during my junior year, I went home with a buddy instead of driving myself who insisted on taking several breaks of 15 to 30 minutes at rest stops, restaurants, and once at a park to just get out and walk around. And once we hit LA and traffic there, he pulled over into a mall and we watched a movie instead of battling rush hour.

We did something similar going back to Berkeley a couple weeks later. I found myself feeling far better after the 10 to 12 hour trip than I did when I drove myself in 6 or so hours. It was partially having someone to share the driving with, but when I did the drive by myself from then on, I'd do the same thing and always felt way better taking my time than when I tried to do the trip in one hop. The few times I've done long road trips since college, I do the same thing now and take my time if I can, and feel way better for it. So for me, having to SC hop on long trips won't be a big issue since stopping to get out of a cramped space to stretch and relax for a bit is what I like to do anyway.

I would highly recommend trying to take some self imposed 20 or 30 minute breaks every hour or two the next time you make your trip, just to try it, if the trip isn't time sensitive. You might surprise yourself like I did and find you enjoy that a lot more than trying to get the trip over ASAP. And if it doesn't work for you, then no harm no foul.

Reactions: landis and McRat
As to the 350kwh SC, I very much doubt that will be the charge rate for any S, X, or 3s in the next few years. It will either be for the semi, or it will be so that paired stalls both charge at the same high rate with no throttling for the second car to get there. The batteries aren't there yet, and I believe wk057 also said the wiring to the current batteries aren't able to take that kind of charge without heat damage, so all that would need to be updated too.