Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

The Tesla Gateway 2 datasheet says that cellular modem supports both 3G and LTE/4G, so that email must have only been for the original Tesla Gateway customers.

1639183980825.png

Upvote 0
Even though I was hooked up with Ethernet, got the same Wi-Fi message via email & app. I hooked to Wi-Fi to make app message go away and as backup to Ethernet. I also paired Bluetooth phone.

I'm thinking I was never hooked to 3G because when my power goes out, cable Internet goes out, and I lose connectivity to app. If I had 3G, should keep connection. I also lose app connectivity when I am on Powerwall backup. Shouldn't I keep connectivity while on home network even without Internet? What about Bluetooth? Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: solarAddict
Upvote 0
Even though I was hooked up with Ethernet, got the same Wi-Fi message via email & app. I hooked to Wi-Fi to make app message go away and as backup to Ethernet. I also paired Bluetooth phone.

I'm thinking I was never hooked to 3G because when my power goes out, cable Internet goes out, and I lose connectivity to app. If I had 3G, should keep connection. I also lose app connectivity when I am on Powerwall backup. Shouldn't I keep connectivity while on home network even without Internet? What about Bluetooth? Thanks.
So, you are saying this message on the screen will go away if I connect to wifi? My system is on ethernet so I was not planning to connect to wifi but this pesky message in the middle of the app is annoying.

Upvote 0
So, you are saying this message on the screen will go away if I connect to wifi? My system is on ethernet so I was not planning to connect to wifi but this pesky message in the middle of the app is annoying.
Oiy. Seems like a hastily rolled out “fix” for soon to be sunsetted cellular in that the Wi-Fi warning doesn’t look to see if an ethernet link is present. So it wasn’t just the email notice that was hastily done…

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
solarAddict said:

Oiy. Seems like a hastily rolled out “fix” for soon to be sunsetted cellular in that the Wi-Fi warning doesn’t look to see if an ethernet link is present. So it wasn’t just the email notice that was hastily done…

Looks like my question is already obsolete. Restarted the app and I dont have this message anymore.

p.s. What a butchered execution by Tesla :rolleyes: .

Upvote 0
I got the oops email. I had thought I had a GW2. When it was installed 1.5 years ago the crew was all excited because it was the first one they had installed. It went from a plain gray box to the shinny white box with Tesla plaster on it. I think I still want to hook up the ethernet since I've got a port nearby. There are several knockout holes in the GW box I can use. I need to run about a 10' cable because the Mesh node is up in the ceiling providing wifi to the garage and front yard. It has a dedicated 5 Ghz backhaul feed to the main router. It's the only node that is wireless. I have 2 others that are wired back to the main router.

Anyone in the know, is it worth the trouble of running the ethernet cable back to the node? In theory the ethernet port in the node is like plugging into an ethernet port or is that just if I'm wired from the node back to the router? (like the other 2) Then again, if I don't get the wired advantage because this node is wireless, is the GW2 5 Ghz or is it 2.4 Ghz? If it's 2.4 then going back to the node with a wire would give me a speed advantage along with a dedicated channel. Or does it really matter being that it's a GW2 and Tesla says I don't need to do anything? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Upvote 0
The GW2 is only 2.4GHz.
I got the oops email. I had thought I had a GW2. When it was installed 1.5 years ago the crew was all excited because it was the first one they had installed. It went from a plain gray box to the shinny white box with Tesla plaster on it. I think I still want to hook up the ethernet since I've got a port nearby. There are several knockout holes in the GW box I can use. I need to run about a 10' cable because the Mesh node is up in the ceiling providing wifi to the garage and front yard. It has a dedicated 5 Ghz backhaul feed to the main router. It's the only node that is wireless. I have 2 others that are wired back to the main router.

Anyone in the know, is it worth the trouble of running the ethernet cable back to the node? In theory the ethernet port in the node is like plugging into an ethernet port or is that just if I'm wired from the node back to the router? (like the other 2) Then again, if I don't get the wired advantage because this node is wireless, is the GW2 5 Ghz or is it 2.4 Ghz? If it's 2.4 then going back to the node with a wire would give me a speed advantage along with a dedicated channel. Or does it really matter being that it's a GW2 and Tesla says I don't need to do anything? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
The GW2 is only 2.4 GHz.

Upvote 0
How do I know if Gateway is 3G cel or 4G?
It took a bit today for the Gateway to show connection to wi-fi even with a repeater. But the data was real time so it had to use cel.
It seems that now, the app will show "connect to wi-fi" if that is lost.
I may not be out of the woods yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do I know if Gateway is 3G cel or 4G?
It took a bit today for the Gateway to show connection to wi-fi even with a repeater. But the data was real time so it had to use cel.
It seems that now, the app will show "connect to wi-fi" if that is lost.
I may not be out of the woods yet.

I am only making a guess here, with no corroboration whatsoever, but my GUESS is, that those of us with Gateway V1 (or what I will call 1A, that has the reset button in it), likely have 3G modems, and people with Gateway version 2 may have 4G.

I say that because the gateway V1 was around for a while, and gateway V2 is only a year old. I also have not seen anyone with a Gateway version 1 say they got a retraction email from tesla that "the previous email did not apply to you.

I know I did not get one of those retraction emails, but I see people posting about them, and they all seem to be people with Gateway 2s.

Upvote 0
Your box may have similar unused knockouts.
Is there some magic trick to opening knock out holes? Every time I've done that I'm pounding on the usually junction box, wrangling it to get the damn thing out. Don't really want to do it that with the GW. 5150Code3's picture in post #92 is the same type of knock out as mine. Is there a gentler touch method or is brute force the only way to do it?

Upvote 0
Is there some magic trick to opening knock out holes? Every time I've done that I'm pounding on the usually junction box, wrangling it to get the damn thing out. Don't really want to do it that with the GW. 5150Code3's picture in post #92 is the same type of knock out as mine. Is there a gentler touch method or is brute force the only way to do it?
They called knockouts for the reason :) I usually have old flat screwdriver positioned at one of tabs the center pieces is holding on and give a whack at handle side end of the screwdriver with rubber mallet.

Reactions: jhn_ and colovin
Upvote 0