Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support
Having the same issues. Now the app isn't even connecting.

Upvote 0
I think the app is currently crashing for all of us, at least as far as the energy part of it. Its crashing for me too, and now has a "server maintenance" notification. My system is connected via ethernet, so this isnt a "using wifi or cellular" thing for me.

Shrug.. I am going to go with the fact that they just sent out this email, and every single powerwall owner is now opening their apps, trying to scroll around, etc etc.
While I agree, I find it sorry to think a trillion dollar company can't handle a few thousand extra people logging onto an app.

Upvote 0
On version 21.44 223a56cd. Energy section of the Tesla app has been saying Check Internet Connection for the last 45. I can access the Powerwall through its IP address on my network. When you initially login, it briefly says "not connected" but then says Connected. When I enter the Network section, it says Ethernet, Wifi and Cellular are all green and connected. When I click "Check Internet Connection" it reports back:
✓ Local Network Connected

✓ Tesla Services and Internet Connected

So whatever the problem, it isn't with my internet. Tesla, "you in danger girl!"

Upvote 0
Same here. I knew I was connected via wifi already but went to settings to double check. I searched for network but it said it could not find any (wierd) so I mannually entered network and password but got no confirmation of a successful connection. Now it won't connect - but according to my router it's connected and internet is fine. Clearly a Tesla Server issue.

bwb1

Upvote 0
Same here. I knew I was connected via wifi already but went to settings to double check. I searched for network but it said it could not find any (wierd) so I mannually entered network and password but got no confirmation of a successful connection. Now it won't connect - but according to my router it's connected and internet is fine. Clearly a Tesla Server issue.

bwb1
The fact that everyone is having the same exact issues tells us it is on their end

Upvote 0
In the meantime I’m just using my AutarkieMan APP to monitor everything in real time.

Attachments

• FB839B66-A589-42A1-8D00-8D60A69097FE.png
    FB839B66-A589-42A1-8D00-8D60A69097FE.png
    380.6 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
Same here

ETA: Was for a few minutes. Then back down. Everyone probably jumped on their server again?

ETA2: Back up again.
Ditto. With one of these through in here and there for good measure (attached). If I were to guess, when the 3g email went out they did some kind of practice connectivity in anticipation and oops we don’t test in production! 😂😉

Attachments

• DBD77BBB-EEF5-4901-ABCA-A0170C5F3638.jpeg
    DBD77BBB-EEF5-4901-ABCA-A0170C5F3638.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Dracaris
Upvote 0
Ditto. With one of these through in here and there for good measure (attached). If I were to guess, when the 3g email went out they did some kind of practice connectivity in anticipation and oops we don’t test in production! 😂😉

Lol...

I certainly dont work for tesla, but a couple years ago a co worker and I got accused of "testing in production" by a non IT manager, when, see, what had happened was..... (lol). All kidding aside, what had happened was, we had tested in the sandbox, asked for feedback (for a couple weeks even) everything looked good, pushed the change to production, then the next day those same users who had told us they tested (but didnt) tried to do something in production that didnt work, and all heck broke loose.

Given what I have noticed as the general makeup of a lot of members who frequent this part of TMC, I doubt I am alone in experiencing something like that, haha.

Upvote 0
Tesla clearly sent out this "change your PW connectivity to WiFi" email before sending out the update that would have enabled us to actually follow the instructions. Thus, they managed to cause a DDOS against their own servers and crash them. Color me not all that surprised. I guess I'll wait until they send out the next app update and try again.

BTW, I did try to log into my Tesla gateway with my Tesla.com credentials, but that did not work. I suppose I could go open the box, where I would probably find a sticker that shows the logon info.

Upvote 0
Tesla clearly sent out this "change your PW connectivity to WiFi" email before sending out the update that would have enabled us to actually follow the instructions. Thus, they managed to cause a DDOS against their own servers and crash them. Color me not all that surprised. I guess I'll wait until they send out the next app update and try again.

BTW, I did try to log into my Tesla gateway with my Tesla.com credentials, but that did not work. I suppose I could go open the box, where I would probably find a sticker that shows the logon info.
I've always had problems using a password when logging into the gateway directly. Just use the 5 digits from the gateway serial number as they never change and you'll never have an issue.

Upvote 0
Isn’t the cell modem modular? Last year my alarm company send me a new modem to update my base station exactly for this issue.
I'm sure it can be upgraded but that will take longer and cost more than just having users connect via Wi-fi or Ethernet. Maybe in the future they will gradually upgrade to 5G or even the Helium LoRaWAN network.

Ours used to be connected via all three but I'm noticing it isn't connected via cellular today as it only has 1 bar of signal strength.

Upvote 0