Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

Those instructions seem to be new. When we did this previously, we logged into the powerwall on its own wifi network (its usually broadcasting) and set it up there, at least thats what I remember.

I have mine hard wired to ethernet, and still got this email, so this obviously was a blast to everyone, not just to people who are using the 3G connection.
How did you do it? I have my gateway on Ethernet and DEF. want to get the PWs on Ethernet as well. I hate wifi as a rule. but for the life of me, I have not been able to find any information on HOW only that it is possible...

Upvote 0
How did you do it? I have my gateway on Ethernet and DEF. want to get the PWs on Ethernet as well. I hate wifi as a rule. but for the life of me, I have not been able to find any information on HOW only that it is possible...

The powerwalls only talk to the gateway. The device you put on the internet is the gateway, which it sounds like you have already done.

Upvote 0
Conduit and fittings are sized by the inside diameter, not the outside diameter. The knockout for a 1/2" fitting is about 7/8" in diameter while the knockout for a 3/4" fitting is a little under 1 1/8" in diameter.
This is nominal pipe size (NPS) vs inside diameter (ID) vs outside diameter (OD) differences. :) A NPS of 1/2" will have an OD of 0.840" and an ID of 0.546-0.622" depending on the material and strength. Standard Pipe Dimensions

Legacy and industry convention issues kind of like a 2x4 which was actually 2"x4" once is now 1.5"x3.5". I was renovating a 1908 craftsman house with real 2x4 redwood and it was really obvious.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support
Go into the "customize" section. Scroll down to the bottom of that page, or up?
Below Storm Watch setup, below Vehicle Charging During Power Outage
You should see:
Go-Off Grid,
Configure Wi-Fi
Pair Phone to Power wall.

ps. I had that "Configure wi-fi" come back to the home page that has "Power Flow" so I checked that and it was not logged on to my Wi-Fi.
As soon as I reconnected it, that went to the "customize" section.

While I can log into that TEG PNW, that is about as far as I get
Used to use my laptop to get in but that doesn't seem to work either now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was that 2x4 kind of rough or smooth like today's 2x4. Perhaps they changed to smooth for some reason?
These were all rough cuts. Not hand cut, just rough cuts like they did back then. Modern lumber is first rough cut and then planed, but that first rough cut is still smaller than the original 2"x4".

Seems like an unnecessary increase processing time and cost, but the smooth modern 2x4 makes it easier to transport and reduces costs. Or maybe carpenters were just tired of all of the splinters and were fine paying extra for the smooth version.

Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
These were all rough cuts. Not hand cut, just rough cuts like they did back then. Modern lumber is first rough cut and then planed, but that first rough cut is still smaller than the original 2"x4".

Seems like an unnecessary increase processing time and cost, but the smooth modern 2x4 makes it easier to transport and reduces costs. Or maybe carpenters were just tired of all of the splinters and were fine paying extra for the smooth version.
The splinters did come to my mind as well :)

Upvote 0
I am still having a no luck in logging into Gateway. Now I am seeing a request for a PIN that should be by the wi-fi router.
Why would that be needed if that is the pin when doing a wi-fi protected setup?
I tried it, didn't work but then I didn't push that button on the router. next time I'll have to run to push it.

Upvote 0
I am still having a no luck in logging into Gateway. Now I am seeing a request for a PIN that should be by the wi-fi router.
Why would that be needed if that is the pin when doing a wi-fi protected setup?
I tried it, didn't work but then I didn't push that button on the router. next time I'll have to run to push it.
Step 1: Find your Gateway serial number, which is the password for Backup Gateway and Non-Backup Gateway, on the bottom of the ‘Settings’ screen in the Tesla app. For Gateway 2, your serial number is in the Tesla app, and your password is located behind the cover of the unit.
Step 2: Connect to the Gateway Wi-Fi network, which appears as “TEG-xxx,” where xxx are the last three digits of the Gateway serial number. If you do not see the Wi-Fi network, try moving physically closer to the Backup Gateway. If you still do not see the Wi-Fi network, contact us.
Step 3: After you click on the “TEG-xxx” network, enter the Wi-Fi password found in Step 1.
Step 4: Open a web browser and enter any of the following in the address bar:
Note: turn on airplane mode then turn on Wi-Fi and connect to Tesla Gateway.
Step 5: When connecting to a Gateway for the first time, your browser may present a privacy warning. Proceed past the privacy warning and accept the site as safe. To do this, look for 'Advanced' or 'Show Details' and then click 'Proceed to' or 'Visit this Website'.
  • This privacy warning is shown because each Gateway has its own self-signed SSL certificate to support a private connection. These certificates are not pre-registered to be recognized by the browser or certificate authority. Once you accept the site as safe the first time you visit, it will save the certificate to this computer for future use.
Step 6: Once the page loads, click “Login”.
Step 7: Choose the "Customer" login type.
Email: Use the email you use for your Tesla Account.
Password: The first time you log in, your password will be the last five characters of the Gateway password.
Backup Gateway: Last five characters of the Gateway serial number.
Backup Gateway 2: Last five digits of characters on the sticker.
Step 8: Your password can be reset or customized by tapping 'Change or Forgot Password' and following the on-screen instructions.

Reactions: charlesj
Upvote 0
A point of reference for those like me who see the logic in a 1" fitting, fitting into a 1" hole. The knockouts in the GW2 are 1 and 1/16 inch give or take a few mms, which fits a ¾" fitting. Ethernet connector even with the safety tab fit easily through the fitting pictured in the Amazon link on post 112. Now all is well on the western front :)

Upvote 0
Step 1: Find your Gateway serial number, which is the password for Backup Gateway and Non-Backup Gateway, on the bottom of the ‘Settings’ screen in the Tesla app. For Gateway 2, your serial number is in the Tesla app, and your password is located behind the cover of the unit.
Step 2: Connect to the Gateway Wi-Fi network, which appears as “TEG-xxx,” where xxx are the last three digits of the Gateway serial number. If you do not see the Wi-Fi network, try moving physically closer to the Backup Gateway. If you still do not see the Wi-Fi network, contact us.
Step 3: After you click on the “TEG-xxx” network, enter the Wi-Fi password found in Step 1.
Step 4: Open a web browser and enter any of the following in the address bar:
Note: turn on airplane mode then turn on Wi-Fi and connect to Tesla Gateway.
Step 5: When connecting to a Gateway for the first time, your browser may present a privacy warning. Proceed past the privacy warning and accept the site as safe. To do this, look for 'Advanced' or 'Show Details' and then click 'Proceed to' or 'Visit this Website'.
  • This privacy warning is shown because each Gateway has its own self-signed SSL certificate to support a private connection. These certificates are not pre-registered to be recognized by the browser or certificate authority. Once you accept the site as safe the first time you visit, it will save the certificate to this computer for future use.
Step 6: Once the page loads, click “Login”.
Step 7: Choose the "Customer" login type.
Email: Use the email you use for your Tesla Account.
Password: The first time you log in, your password will be the last five characters of the Gateway password.
Backup Gateway: Last five characters of the Gateway serial number.
Backup Gateway 2: Last five digits of characters on the sticker.
Step 8: Your password can be reset or customized by tapping 'Change or Forgot Password' and following the on-screen instructions.
Thanks. I have those printed from before. When I log in, I am not asked for a password, just a pin number found on the router.
I tried every combination of password, previous possible password, etc.
It did work when the Gateway was installed but I have not tried again until now.
I used my lenovo laptop before and worked.
Now I am reading airplane mode? Do I need to use my iPhone to do all this?

Upvote 0
The login page (web portal, not phone app) defaults to "Installer". Change to "Customer". Then enter the e-mail address you use for your Tesla account. The default password is the last 5 characters of your Gateway serial number, such as 12XYZ.
I think this was for me?
When I try to log in to TEG-PNW, one of the Wi-Fi networks, it asks for a pin from the router table, usually 8 digits it states.
So, I cannot even get in. The last 5 characters gives me an incorrect and states usually 4 or 8 digits.

Upvote 0
FWIW: I am still on V3.x via Android. Yesterday my wireless internet antenna disconnected because of a bad POE device. This mean no internet for my premise. The app put up another line of the main energy panel telling me I had not completed my installation because WiFi was not configured. It was of course, but did not have internet access. Once the POE device was swapped out and the internet restored to my premise, that line disappeared.

And during this interruption my GW was working on cellular, so functionality was still there. PW2 and older gray gateway with black antenna knobs on top (V1A?).

Upvote 0
I think this was for me?
When I try to log in to TEG-PNW, one of the Wi-Fi networks, it asks for a pin from the router table, usually 8 digits it states.
So, I cannot even get in. The last 5 characters gives me an incorrect and states usually 4 or 8 digits.
Update on this. Updated my iPhone to 5SE, yes, for me it is an update. ;)
What do you know? I was able to log in with my phone, not through app.

Reactions: ptdusn
Upvote 0
But now I am trying to figure out how to interpret the new iPhone app as it is not the older form but the one with the house in the background.
I can't find an explanation sheet.
I don't seem to be able to get the historical records like the old app, going back day by day or week by week, etc.
The graph is so small. Don't seem to be able to get all 4, house, solar, bat, grid displayed all at once.

Upvote 0