Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling Supercharging on salvage Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Got my Tesla X today.
Supercharger enabled.
Tesla changed their prices for Tesla X inspection.
So there was some prices adjustments.
Here are my total expenses.
Salvage Title High voltage inspection $597.31
Fast charging safety inspection $341.25.

I was about to go with @LayZ but with going that route, wouldn’t be able to update software, if I wanted to get mcu2, would need to still get all these inspections done.

Also resale value will definitely be higher going the tesla official way.
Nice great news n price is reasonable.
I expect the salvage X's will slightly increase in prices on auctions soon.. better grab urs

Also Tesla S are starting to be unlocked next week.
Not true, 3/S were being unlocked since like last September..

Just FYI, they found a 30mm crack in my strut tower and wanted me to pay 3k for them to glue and put a 3x3” sheet metal over it.

All tesla repair info can be found on their website and repair oem parts can be bought online.
I ended up doing the repair myself for a fraction of that quote and tesla approved it.
Can u clarify what u mean by "tesla approved it" ?

Also just for the record, can u specify which Service Center? would help others if they run into pushback..

Nice great news n price is reasonable.
I expect the salvage X's will slightly increase in prices on auctions soon.. better grab urs

Not true, 3/S were being unlocked since like last September..

Can u clarify what u mean by "tesla approved it" ?

Also just for the record, can u specify which Service Center? would help others if they run into pushback..
I also was under the impression that the Model S could be unlocked a while back too.
But that is what the service center told me.

They found a crack in the struct tower and told me it needed to be repaired only by a tesla body shop.
They take pictures and upload it to tesla headquarters.
Apparently those pictures stay with the car history.
Tesla approved, meaning they inspected the repair and signed off on it.

Hey guys,
Got my Tesla X today.
Supercharger enabled.

I was about to go with @LayZ but with going that route, wouldn’t be able to update software, if I wanted to get mcu2, would need to still get all these inspections done.

Just FYI, they found a 30mm crack in my strut tower and wanted me to pay 3k for them to glue and put a 3x3” sheet metal over it.

All tesla repair info can be found on their website and repair oem parts can be bought online.
I ended up doing the repair myself for a fraction of that quote and tesla approved it.

Good luck.
I have a few questions

1. is it true that tesla can permanetly remove free supercharing SC01 in some scenarios? what if we go the official way (high voltage inspection) and they say it is not safe? they will not only keep superchargning disabled but also remove the free supercharging that comes attached to the VIN of the car?
  2. let's say we visit tesla to get the HV inspection, and they say it is not safe. Is the car still able to be rooted/hacked to enable the supercharging?

I have a few questions

1. is it true that tesla can permanetly remove free supercharing SC01 in some scenarios? what if we go the official way (high voltage inspection) and they say it is not safe? they will not only keep superchargning disabled but also remove the free supercharging that comes attached to the VIN of the car?
  2. let's say we visit tesla to get the HV inspection, and they say it is not safe. Is the car still able to be rooted/hacked to enable the supercharging?
1. 99% sure its no. they only disable it. if u fail u just lose money u paid them
2. yes

Wanted to add that if tesla has not done the salvage tesla inspection on your vehicle, they won’t touch anything that is electronic.

You don’t be able to upgrade to MCU2 without doing the inspection.

If you want tesla to work on your vehicle, you need the tesla salvage inspection.

Also I don’t think it’s 2.5 for the mcu2 I thought they sent me a quote for 1500-1750?
I maybe be wrong though.
That’s not strictly true. They don’t touch the HV parts. The MCU is not HV, but the A/C unit (for instance) is. Of course, that’s the official policy. Every SC then does what it feels like.

I personally got a quote for MCU1–>MCU2 for my salvaged Tesla in the SLC SC.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Hey guys,
Got my Tesla X today.
Supercharger enabled.

Good luck.
Great!
Do you have free supercharging or pay as you go after the car passed the inspection?

Wanted to add that if tesla has not done the salvage tesla inspection on your vehicle, they won’t touch anything that is electronic.

You don’t be able to upgrade to MCU2 without doing the inspection.

If you want tesla to work on your vehicle, you need the tesla salvage inspection.

Also I don’t think it’s 2.5 for the mcu2 I thought they sent me a quote for 1500-1750?
I maybe be wrong though.
😅 Tesla won't touch your car if it is salvage. They won't even do recalls on your brakes

I doubt Tesla will disable any software already in the car, but you’re unlikely to get further updates. As for Supercharging, only Tesla can re-enable it. My limited understanding was that they offered a service - for a fee - to certify the car to allow Supercharging. No idea if that was or is a thing, but thought I had read it somewhere.

Ultimately, the answer to your questions is “you need to ask Tesla”.
I purchased a used Mx before I transferred ownership I had access to the app. After the title transfer I lost ability to add change keys. Open close wing doors
and automatic door unlock works only on driver door.
dam update

I purchased a used Mx before I transferred ownership I had access to the app. After the title transfer I lost ability to add change keys. Open close wing doors
and automatic door unlock works only on driver door.
dam update
On legacy X & S, there never was any ability to add or change keys, Service Center had to do it. Automatic door locks, driver door only, is a user configurable setting. It can be set to unlock all doors