Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End cap/cover for charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Metal chain next to the car's paint job. :rolleyes:

The designer is a genius... only to be outdone by the marketing guy who actually TOOK this picture:

517TruwwKxL.jpg

Also you can put your hand in that bucket. The connector isn't energized unless it's plugged into the car.

But more than that: Stuff like this cap will never prevent water from getting in. It does a good job however of preventing water from getting out... Which is a good recipe for getting rust.

As someone who puts up 100k Christmas lights every year in Seattle - trying to seal something against water is an absolute lost cause. Condensation will get in everywhere - to be truly waterproof you actually need to be air tight, which this cap won't be. So instead, just give the water a place to drain out again. In the case of the UMC, that means hanging it face down.

But if you think about it - the supercharger connectors have no protection against water and hangs face up. So during rain there will be pools of water collected in those plug wells. This obviously doesn't bother Tesla so the UMC should be fine as well.

Anyone use or know a good cap/cover for the charger? I have found this so far:
https://www.amazon.com/Motors-Charging-Charger-Protective-Silicone/dp/B01EEZRQRG
Why do you believe that you need some kind of "cap" or cover over the end of the charging cable?

Note: if you have a Tesla HPWC, either the type with the 24' cable or the 8.5' cable, and you hang the end of the cable in the included mounting spot, the end of the cable is covered and protected from rainfall. Also, you can buy one of these Tesla — Cable Organizer and place it wherever is convenient for you, and it will also protect the end of the cable.

Why do you believe that you need some kind of "cap" or cover over the end of the charging cable?

Note: if you have a Tesla HPWC, either the type with the 24' cable or the 8.5' cable, and you hang the end of the cable in the included mounting spot, the end of the cable is covered and protected from rainfall. Also, you can buy one of these Tesla — Cable Organizer and place it wherever is convenient for you, and it will also protect the end of the cable.

That thing is awesome! My set up is hard to describe -- I drilled a hole in my basement door that I feed the charging cable through to charge my car in the driveway (no garage). When I am not charging I push the charging cable back through the hole in the door with just the connector sticking out. It rained the other day and the connector was wet, including the inside, so I was nervous about plugging it into my Tesla. Now I know this is a non-issue.

I changed my set up though so the charging cable is always pulled through the door, then I have it wrapped around a hook with the connector facing down. This will work until winter time!

I know that my charging end has hit the concrete a rare few times when grabbing the cable in a hurry. Typically I pull the cable out of the trunk, set it on the ground, plug it in to the outlet behind my house, and then plug in the car. Sometimes if I grab the cable wrong, it'll hit hard. I haven't done any real damage (yet) but a cap would definitely be on my wish list, not to keep water out or anything but just to prevent it from getting chipped/dented. Surprised this isn't a more popular thing.

can I ask a question to continue this thread: I'll be charging my car on the driveway (no garage) and the tesla charging lead, with its plug and the Universal Mobile Connector will all be outside all the time. Is that going to be a problem do you think?
(Reason is: on my driveway I have a camper van which is rarely used, so thats nearest the house. the interlocked socket is attached to the house, and so the charging cable runs from here, under the camper van, to the tesla parked in front of the van, furthest from the house).

So, I could disconnect the cable at both ends and put it in the car, but I'd prefer to leave it out, and just plug it into the tesla whenever. Lazy, yes, but the easiest option. From the thread here, it seems the tesla type 2 plug is fine, does anyone know about the UMC?
thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
The mobile connector Gen 2 manual says this. Am I looking at the wrong thing? (gen_2_mobile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf)

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.
Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times
Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.