TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

End cap/cover for charger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tennis, Aug 11, 2016.

1. tennis

tennis Member

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

Metal chain next to the car's paint job. :rolleyes:

The designer is a genius... only to be outdone by the marketing guy who actually TOOK this picture:

517TruwwKxL.jpg

3. tennis

tennis Member

Haha -- Thanks for posting pic. Definitely would just use the cap and no chain attachment. Maybe there is a better option out there though.

4. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

same design, but use some nylon instead of metal chain

5. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Wall connector and UMC are weatherproof, so not sure what purpose would something like this serve...

6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I can just see that metal chain swinging and bouncing off the car each time you plug in :(
    Good idea, terrible product

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

True, true. There's nothing to protect, unless you want to protect the outer edges of the plug if you drop the thing.

8. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Potentially, sure, but who can guarantee you would not drop the plug BEFORE cap is applied? :)

9. tennis

tennis Member

So I could take the connector, plunge it in a bucket of water, take it out of the water and plug it into my car to charge and it would be fine?

10. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Yes

11. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Obviously, that is an extreme example (not recommended), and that cap will unlikely to be completely waterproof. UMC/wall connector are weatherproof though.

12. LineofSight

LineofSight Member

I must be missing something. The third and fourth pictures do not look like the end of my UMC. Is there more to this than just the end cap shown in pictures one and two?

13. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Looks like the plug on a European UMC.

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

Also you can put your hand in that bucket. The connector isn't energized unless it's plugged into the car.

But more than that: Stuff like this cap will never prevent water from getting in. It does a good job however of preventing water from getting out... Which is a good recipe for getting rust.

As someone who puts up 100k Christmas lights every year in Seattle - trying to seal something against water is an absolute lost cause. Condensation will get in everywhere - to be truly waterproof you actually need to be air tight, which this cap won't be. So instead, just give the water a place to drain out again. In the case of the UMC, that means hanging it face down.

But if you think about it - the supercharger connectors have no protection against water and hangs face up. So during rain there will be pools of water collected in those plug wells. This obviously doesn't bother Tesla so the UMC should be fine as well.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Why do you believe that you need some kind of "cap" or cover over the end of the charging cable?

Note: if you have a Tesla HPWC, either the type with the 24' cable or the 8.5' cable, and you hang the end of the cable in the included mounting spot, the end of the cable is covered and protected from rainfall. Also, you can buy one of these Tesla — Cable Organizer and place it wherever is convenient for you, and it will also protect the end of the cable.

16. tennis

tennis Member

That thing is awesome! My set up is hard to describe -- I drilled a hole in my basement door that I feed the charging cable through to charge my car in the driveway (no garage). When I am not charging I push the charging cable back through the hole in the door with just the connector sticking out. It rained the other day and the connector was wet, including the inside, so I was nervous about plugging it into my Tesla. Now I know this is a non-issue.

I changed my set up though so the charging cable is always pulled through the door, then I have it wrapped around a hook with the connector facing down. This will work until winter time!

17. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I know that my charging end has hit the concrete a rare few times when grabbing the cable in a hurry. Typically I pull the cable out of the trunk, set it on the ground, plug it in to the outlet behind my house, and then plug in the car. Sometimes if I grab the cable wrong, it'll hit hard. I haven't done any real damage (yet) but a cap would definitely be on my wish list, not to keep water out or anything but just to prevent it from getting chipped/dented. Surprised this isn't a more popular thing.