TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

End of Quarter Build Quality

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Cynika, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Cynika

Cynika Member

After bumping our 90D up to a 100D, our new estimated delivery date is end of March for pick up at the Fremont factory. I've seen many posts about the build quality being potentially problematic at the end of quarter. Is this still the case in recent quarters? Is it worth bumping out our delivery into April?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

May be mine is an anomaly but I got my Models S just before the New Year , at the end of December 2012 and it was perfect on day one.

I don't think it is about end of quarter. It is more about how quality control is done in Tesla.

Tesla seems to emphasize fixing problems at delivery rather than before delivery.

For example, if there are noticeable scratches or chrome trim mis-alignments, it would show you all the imperfections first before fixing them.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Also, delaying or bumping out your delivery isn't going to change anything (a few of us already tried this). Tesla will still build your vehicle at the same time, and just sit on it until you're ready to have it delivered.

4. Deans

Deans Member

Build quality on mine was not good. Four unrelated issues. Two of them are common and were well known to Tesla before they shipped my car and I found them the day of delivery. Two issues resolved, two issues waiting an unknown time for parts.
    As another poster stated above, Tesla appears to ship with known defect (e.g. mirrors don't unfold correctly) and then let you find them and then they fix them at SC. I don't think they do much outgoing inspection, at least for non-safety issues.
    My S was delivery 12/28/17. I don't think delaying your order will help at all though. Has little to do with quarterly sales number as far as I can tell.

• Disagree x 1
  5. animorph

animorph Member

Seems likely any California car would be built at the end of the quarter, for quick delivery before the quarter's end. You may not have much choice.

6. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Delivery Dec. 22nd. No issues, super quality..Remember a person with a problem is much more likely to create a post than those who had no issues at delivery. Don't let the problem threads freak you out. They did me for awhile until someone help me realize they don't present a balanced view of all end of quarter deliveries.

• Like x 1
  7. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

You Zakery rite Kemo Sabe. :D

• Like x 1
  8. Cynika

Cynika Member

Thanks for the responses! I had wondered whether they would just hold the built car or build it later if we delayed delivery. Given that it's not in production, it seemed possible they'd push it out later if we chose a significantly later delivery date. But we are getting anxious to get our "bunny car" anyway, so we'll just hope for the best! It's amazing how slowly the days pass after an order is placed. ;)

9. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

Welcome back. Did the ban get shot down in court? How does the 3 look? What else can we look forward to? Oh, and did you happen to look at Tesla's stock price?

• Funny x 1
  10. Deans

Deans Member

??
    I don't understand what any of that means. Should I?

11. leletyM3

leletyM3 Member

My car was full of defects and had to bring it back to Fremont, got it on December 30th 2016. I know someone that works for Tesla and he said toward the end of the quarter the open up more the control quality I guess to let more cars out.

12. mmd

mmd Active Member

It's because of your typo in delivery date. You said "My S was delivery 12/28/17". So, he is asking you questions from the future, welcoming you back to current time :)

• Helpful x 1
  13. Deans

Deans Member

Ah, yes. I actually noticed that typo at some point earlier, but it was past the "edit" cut off point.

14. dark

dark Member

My X was built during the last week of 4th quarter and it is great,, only minor issues.

15. jiggy

jiggy Member

My S was delivered the last day of the quarter. While the build was fine, I had to take it back to get wheels aligned, so perhaps they let that slip during the deliver check (they were definitely working round the clock at that point).