Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Quarter Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After bumping our 90D up to a 100D, our new estimated delivery date is end of March for pick up at the Fremont factory. I've seen many posts about the build quality being potentially problematic at the end of quarter. Is this still the case in recent quarters? Is it worth bumping out our delivery into April?

...build quality being potentially problematic at the end of quarter...

May be mine is an anomaly but I got my Models S just before the New Year , at the end of December 2012 and it was perfect on day one.

I don't think it is about end of quarter. It is more about how quality control is done in Tesla.

Tesla seems to emphasize fixing problems at delivery rather than before delivery.

For example, if there are noticeable scratches or chrome trim mis-alignments, it would show you all the imperfections first before fixing them.

Also, delaying or bumping out your delivery isn't going to change anything (a few of us already tried this). Tesla will still build your vehicle at the same time, and just sit on it until you're ready to have it delivered.

Build quality on mine was not good. Four unrelated issues. Two of them are common and were well known to Tesla before they shipped my car and I found them the day of delivery. Two issues resolved, two issues waiting an unknown time for parts.
As another poster stated above, Tesla appears to ship with known defect (e.g. mirrors don't unfold correctly) and then let you find them and then they fix them at SC. I don't think they do much outgoing inspection, at least for non-safety issues.
My S was delivery 12/28/17. I don't think delaying your order will help at all though. Has little to do with quarterly sales number as far as I can tell.

• Disagree
Reactions: njxman
Delivery Dec. 22nd. No issues, super quality..Remember a person with a problem is much more likely to create a post than those who had no issues at delivery. Don't let the problem threads freak you out. They did me for awhile until someone help me realize they don't present a balanced view of all end of quarter deliveries.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Thanks for the responses! I had wondered whether they would just hold the built car or build it later if we delayed delivery. Given that it's not in production, it seemed possible they'd push it out later if we chose a significantly later delivery date. But we are getting anxious to get our "bunny car" anyway, so we'll just hope for the best! It's amazing how slowly the days pass after an order is placed. ;)

Build quality on mine was not good. Four unrelated issues. Two of them are common and were well known to Tesla before they shipped my car and I found them the day of delivery. Two issues resolved, two issues waiting an unknown time for parts.
As another poster stated above, Tesla appears to ship with known defect (e.g. mirrors don't unfold correctly) and then let you find them and then they fix them at SC. I don't think they do much outgoing inspection, at least for non-safety issues.
My S was delivery 12/28/17. I don't think delaying your order will help at all though. Has little to do with quarterly sales number as far as I can tell.

Welcome back. Did the ban get shot down in court? How does the 3 look? What else can we look forward to? Oh, and did you happen to look at Tesla's stock price?

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
My car was full of defects and had to bring it back to Fremont, got it on December 30th 2016. I know someone that works for Tesla and he said toward the end of the quarter the open up more the control quality I guess to let more cars out.

My S was delivered the last day of the quarter. While the build was fine, I had to take it back to get wheels aligned, so perhaps they let that slip during the deliver check (they were definitely working round the clock at that point).

Finally got my car on the 20th of June but the quality was terrible:
Paint chipped, poor window seals, scratches on the side glass, more paint scratches, bracket under the front mirror loose, high wind noise when you drive over 50, windows do not wind up and down properly, roof seals improper, browser did not work, user manual did not appear etc etc....The service lady took pictures and said come back later and we will fix all of these issues. So I set up an appointment for 9th July. However on 3rd of July the horn and the buttons on the steering stopped working. A non-functional horn is a safety issue and I took the car to the service centre on the 3rd. They were cordial and took in my car. Got a call today that they do not have a spare side glass and it will take them 5-7 business days to repair the paint chip. They gave me a Tesla 75 model S loaner. I am a big person and one of the reasons I bought the model X was the easy ingress....Now I have to squeeze my neck every time I have to get in and out of the tiny model S !!! Guess my Tesla woes have begun...

Finally got my car on the 20th of June but the quality was terrible:
Paint chipped, poor window seals, scratches on the side glass, more paint scratches, bracket under the front mirror loose, high wind noise when you drive over 50, windows do not wind up and down properly, roof seals improper, browser did not work, user manual did not appear etc etc....The service lady took pictures and said come back later and we will fix all of these issues. So I set up an appointment for 9th July. However on 3rd of July the horn and the buttons on the steering stopped working. A non-functional horn is a safety issue and I took the car to the service centre on the 3rd. They were cordial and took in my car. Got a call today that they do not have a spare side glass and it will take them 5-7 business days to repair the paint chip. They gave me a Tesla 75 model S loaner. I am a big person and one of the reasons I bought the model X was the easy ingress....Now I have to squeeze my neck every time I have to get in and out of the tiny model S !!! Guess my Tesla woes have begun...
Man I guess you’ve hit the jackpot. According to this member Tesla Model Xs have the best fit and finish now:

Dear Trolls....Tesla's X is a refined vehicle and fit/finish matches the best

Looking at the number of Tesla MXs at the service centre and a lot of them being new, I am not sure I hit the jackpot. When I asked the service advisor why did the failure occur on the steering wheel so soon, his response was it is electronics. I told him I am an electronics engineer. He said that then I would understand. I just told him that the electronics that I make support safety operations and do not fail for several decades. To which he had no answer. Aside that my service experience is getting worse...
Vehicle in for repairs including paint job on 3rd July. Since then no clear status update. Did get a few texts stating work is in progress . Called today and asked, they told me that the mechanical repairs and the electronics should get done by Monday the 9th and then they will schedule the paint job. So my car will be idling in the service centre till the paint job gets scheduled !!! On top of it, I was given a model S which is very difficult for me to get in and out of (I am 6-3). They have been promising me a change in loaner since 3rd July. It seems very strange that they have not had a loaner X come back on the last few days... The experience so far sucks...

They might not even have a X loaner in the first place. Every time I ask for one I was told they don’t have it since 2018. The Tesla people never gave me a honest answer. I asked the valet (person who greets you and takes care of loaner) and he told me they’ve sold them all. I don’t mind they sell the loaners but you don’t sell all of them without any replenishment. And I don’t understand why the service advisor wouldn’t state the truth but rather stating they don’t have one at the moment as if someone else is using them. If I knew they don’t have one in the first place I wouldn’t have to reschedule 2 times.

They might not even have a X loaner in the first place. Every time I ask for one I was told they don’t have it since 2018. The Tesla people never gave me a honest answer. I asked the valet (person who greets you and takes care of loaner) and he told me they’ve sold them all. I don’t mind they sell the loaners but you don’t sell all of them without any replenishment. And I don’t understand why the service advisor wouldn’t state the truth but rather stating they don’t have one at the moment as if someone else is using them. If I knew they don’t have one in the first place I wouldn’t have to reschedule 2 times.
Come to think of it, I think what you are saying is correct. I don't think they have a Model X loaner and they are just lying to keep your hopes up ! Sharing my wife's minivan after I hurt my neck trying to get in and out of the loaner Model S !!