Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of warranty inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad I did it as they found out that the right daylight running light was not working - they would replace the whole headlight assembly under warranty which they told me is a $1.2k part.
Good info. I never thought about this. Thanks!

That did work out for you, but whether it's a good idea is debatable.

I wonder if there's a list of things they check. Perhaps many of them, such as your running light problem, could be checked by the owner for free.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Just requested an EWI at the local service center and was told there's no such thing, and asked for a list of concerns to investigate. Doesn't jive with what others have said in this thread; is there another name for this, or request for what to look at? Treat it like a pre-sale inspection??

Just requested an EWI at the local service center and was told there's no such thing, and asked for a list of concerns to investigate. Doesn't jive with what others have said in this thread; is there another name for this, or request for what to look at? Treat it like a pre-sale inspection??
Tesla will *not* proactively tell you all the things they will have to fix on their own $ just *before the warranty ends*. Some independent garage might do it ... but it would be a really bad business proposal for Tesla to charge you $200ish and then as a result have to drop thousands $ in warranty fixes ...

and typically stuff needs to be broken to warrant a fix. not "the wheel has a bit of wobble which might become an issue in the next 5k miles"

I'm pretty sure Tesla does not have an official "End of Warranty Inspection" and the service centers are just charging an hourly or diagnostic fee for an inspection. So it will vary based on the service center whether they will do the inspection or not, and depends on the technician to look at the car and find any items that need service.

I'm pretty sure Tesla does not have an official "End of Warranty Inspection" and the service centers are just charging an hourly or diagnostic fee for an inspection. So it will vary based on the service center whether they will do the inspection or not, and depends on the technician to look at the car and find any items that need service.
again... paying a Tesla tech $ to find items needing fixing for $$$ on Tesla's dime isn't going to be a Tesla tech for long...

And, yet, they said Tesla service wasn’t intended as a profit center and word of mouth (including good service experience) is their only advertising.

Sure, you don’t want to lose money by finding warranty work but the “goodwill” should be offset by drawing in more customers. If they spot everything and the majority are minor fixes while a few others lead to manufacturing improvements, the prospect of EOW inspections would actually be a win for Tesla and the eagle eyed techs.

Too bad that won’t happen.

finding warranty work but the “goodwill” should be offset by drawing in more customers.
Tesla doesn't care about goodwill, they disbanded their corporate PR office and they certainly have no problem with customers as all their vehicles are back ordered even after raising the prices multiple times in the last 12 months. Ever been to a luxury car dealership? Compare that experience with a Tesla service center. The Pensacola SC is akin to a metal shack with broke down Tesla's in the parking lot with their wheels chocked with 4X4 wood. I am surprised some weren't sitting on cinderblocks! I despise going there as you can't wait inside and nobody explains what they did to your vehicle unless you ask them via the Tesla app. Honda and Ford "stealerships" at least in my experience explain the work needed and work performed. I still have no idea what the "trunk o-ring" installation was for.

And, yet, they said Tesla service wasn’t intended as a profit center and word of mouth (including good service experience) is their only advertising.

Sure, you don’t want to lose money by finding warranty work but the “goodwill” should be offset by drawing in more customers. If they spot everything and the majority are minor fixes while a few others lead to manufacturing improvements, the prospect of EOW inspections would actually be a win for Tesla and the eagle eyed techs.

Too bad that won’t happen.
Tesla is so laser focused on "customer goodwill" and proactively addressing issues before the warranty ends ... they offer uber credits instead of loaners and will "lube/re-seal" a badly squeaking control arm just to get it over the warranty period instead of replacing it...

I made the mistake of doing a "General Inspection" at a Tesla SC in Coral Gables after buying a used Tesla still under warranty.
That was a waste of $200.
Please read my other posts for more details about this.
I recommend going to a 3rd party garage like Home - Electrified Garage ($240 for an inspection)
They will tell you the truth about your Tesla and you can then directly address these issues with your Tesla SC (hopefully under warranty).
Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: S&B's M3