Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Graph equivalent on center display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out whether or not the TM3 center display will have an equivalent to the TMS/TMX IC Energy Graph? Maybe someone even got a photo last night?

In case it isn't clear I'm asking about the image below (not mine). I imagine there will certainly be something like the touchscreen Energy app, which shows consumption data over time and during trips. But often I find the IC version more useful when driving, because of the orange and green arcs that show immediate information about power use and regen.

regen_limit.jpg

There is a real time green line as you are driving

Thanks, that's exactly what I hadn't noticed. It was difficult to spot in the test ride videos I've seen so far.

That's a subtle re-implementation of the Energy Graph: relentless minimalism I suppose. No units, which fits with no kWh ratings on the TM3 battery options.

Somewhere in there I also hope to find trip meters. Looking for these things gives us something to do, while production ramps up.

Thanks, that's exactly what I hadn't noticed. It was difficult to spot in the test ride videos I've seen so far.

That's a subtle re-implementation of the Energy Graph: relentless minimalism I suppose. No units, which fits with no kWh ratings on the TM3 battery options.

Somewhere in there I also hope to find trip meters. Looking for these things gives us something to do, while production ramps up.
The beauty is that since it's software upgradeable they can always add features.

The beauty is that since it's software upgradeable they can always add features.

Right, or remove them in pursuit of elegant simplicity.

To be fair to the TM3 UX designers, all the different ways to monitor energy usage in the TMS/TMX UI can be more confusing than useful. I'm technical, so I like having data available even if I don't really need it. But I may not be the target customer.

With apologies for going off-topic, I think defaulting to percentage display is a good idea. Looking to the future it might be even better to do without percentages too — maybe. Just plug your destination into the trip planner. If you need to stop for a charge, it will tell you where and how long. Bugs and unexpected circumstances notwithstanding. The display could still include a battery graphic, without any numbers.

I wouldn't like that: I'd rather have the numbers. But that's where Tesla seems to be heading in their pursuit of simplicity, and maybe they're right.

Certainly I've been happier since I switched my display from RM to percent. Showing RM induces needless range anxiety, and percentage SoC is less misleading than rated miles. RM tries to estimate SoC, driving style, and conditions along your route — all at the same time. It's pretty unlikely that the route I'm driving matches the EPA cycle, so at any given time it's almost certain to be wrong about the latter two. It'll often be wrong about the SoC too, at least within single-digit RM deltas.

Percentage display only pretends to know the SoC, and it has less precision. Oddly that makes it less inaccurate. It may still be a little off the true SoC, but it has less scope to get things wrong in a big way. Sure, that makes me responsible for driving style and conditions along the route. But I'm the one driving, right?

With apologies for going off-topic, I think defaulting to percentage display is a good idea. Looking to the future it might be even better to do without percentages too — maybe. Just plug your destination into the trip planner. If you need to stop for a charge, it will tell you where and how long. Bugs and unexpected circumstances notwithstanding. The display could still include a battery graphic, without any numbers.
That's playing with fire... People would revolt.

One could put an extra tablet there, the information is on the diagnostic port. Is there some ready app for that? I have seen only TM-Spy and Scan My Tesla which are both proprietary apps but then they also do not seem to show such energy graph, do they? OVMS even lists Model S as under development (Model 3 not at all). Is there any documentation of the diagnostic port protocol so that one could code it? Not a Tesla owner, awaiting Model 3 in Europe.