Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy impact- Heated Seets and wiper discussion

Should Teslan unbundle heat from the PUP on the Model 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all New England EV owners are aware of what cabin-heating does to range. We are all guilty of freezing our children in the backseat, and driving with too much frost on the windshield to squeeze 20 more miles out of the charge.

So I ask, Model S owners without sub zero upgrade in VT, NH and ME - do you believe a Model 3 with no PUP (no heated steering wheel, no heated mirrors, no heated wipers, no rear heat seats) is a bad/good idea? Is it really worth the $5k upgrade for the heat accessories?

Thank you knowledgeable battery wizards!

My only regret with buying a used MS 2.5 years ago is that it didn't have the winter package, and it can't be retrofitted. Would it be possible, it would certainly be worth 5k$ to me. Heating seats use much less power than heating the cabin, and I don't think the other options require much power. Regarding the wipers, quite often, I do have to open the window while driving and smash the left wiper to remove the ice, sometimes several times during a trip. Freezing mirrors are often an issue as well, and the rear-view camera won't stay clean for more than a couple of minutes in smudgy conditions (but rear-camera cleaning fluid is not an option, unfortunately, I think).

That said, regarding back seats heating, we mitigated the problem with a heating blanket pluggable in the 12V jack. Works great.

In my opinion, the cold weather package (now included in PUP) is a must-have on an electric vehicle.

My father was on the fence about PUP when ordering his Model X last month. I managed to convince him that even in the mild Pacific Northwest, the heated options are very nice to have. He’s very energy conscious (cheap), so the idea of being able to use less cabin heat to stay comfortable was appealing. He also got to experience a heated steering wheel for the first time on a test drive of a Model X, and I think that had a pretty big impact on his decision.

Even more important than the cold weather package is that PUP includes driver profiles. The cars have so many settings that I feel driver profiles are a must-have. I’d go crazy adjusting the seats and all of the driving settings between my partner and I. Driver profiles allow a single menu selection and can be recalled by which key (or phone) unlocks the car.