Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy saving trust loans [Scotland]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic Longmalx, well done I am just on your first two steps today... when you placed your order online for your car did you state Cash, PCP or Tesla Loan, or does it completely not matter at this time. I plan on taking the full £28k interest free from Nicola but none of the online finance calculators allows you to put that much into the deal.

Fantastic Longmalx, well done I am just on your first two steps today... when you placed your order online for your car did you state Cash, PCP or Tesla Loan, or does it completely not matter at this time. I plan on taking the full £28k interest free from Nicola but none of the online finance calculators allows you to put that much into the deal.
It goes through as Cash.

Just ran into a small "snagette" the EST loan is not available if you CURRENTLY own an EV.... so I need to shift on my i3s (which i was planning on doing) before submitting the loan application. Alternatively I just put the new car (and the loan) in my wifes name as she currently only owns our oil burning dog shifting xtrail.

Also,... it appears as if the EST zero percent deal only applies to cars whose base price is under £50,000, now my car M3LR with options comes to £52,190... does this block me from getting the EST loan or is the fact that the base price of the M3LR is £48k sufficient? Tesla confirmed via online chat that the invoice price has to be under 50k. Really want the blue with the white interior, and wheels could be added later but that still takes the M3LR price just over £50k, so i am left with either a base M3LR or speccing out a standard range plus with the package I want.

**Update** Talked to someone in Home Energy Scotland, they put me through to 08081089414 ([email protected]) I talked to a nice young lady who when I explained that the base car is £48k and I looking to order £4k worth of options on it said that was ok.

They don't give you a loan towards such options but only on the base price of the car which makes no sense really does it as they now only give you up to £28k interest free towards a car and there are no EVs available at that price from new.

I can start the process with a EST referral or a Tesla Order, I need to move on my i3s or start the process in my wife's name. Still, hey ho, on we go....Would be interested to hear if anyone who has been given the EST Grant kept their cars <50k or was their car >50k when options were included.

For those interested in EST loans, here was my final timeline:
  • 19/8/21 Model 3 Ordered
  • 19/8/21 Applied for EST loan
  • 26/8/21 EST loan Offer received
  • 27/8/21 EST loan acceptance sent
  • 27/8/21 Final Invoice sent to EST (as soon as I told Tesla that I had an offer and could proceed, they kicked into life and allocated me a car sent invoice within 24 hours)
  • 28/9/21 Called by EST to confirm loan verbally and then confirm again via e-mail
  • 30/9/21 Received Model 3
  • 8/10/21 - EST confirm payment will be sent soon
  • 11/10/21 - Money received... hooray!
So just over 7 weeks from start to finish which is inline with what Tesla told me (8 weeks) to expect from their experience.
I was a bit surprised to have to wait 6 weeks after acceptance was received for the money.
Found the system very slow and complex

Shouldn’t be that difficult if the focus is on getting more people in EV’s

Found the system very slow and complex

Shouldn’t be that difficult if the focus is on getting more people in EV’s
Exactly, typical Government led initiative, overly bureaucratic checks and balances etc. They could easily work with say Tesla (and therefore i suppose have to have the same relationship with every manufacturer) to to make the est loan approval a part of the order process for the vehicle rather than it being an independent and parallel activity.

Reactions: Bobster1967
First time poster! On the grant application it asks for 'Dealership email and contact details (please include address, contact name, phone number and email address. Failure to provide all of this may result in a delay processing your application)**'

What did others put in for Tesla? I'm maybe being thick but I can seem to find these details?

First time poster! On the grant application it asks for 'Dealership email and contact details (please include address, contact name, phone number and email address. Failure to provide all of this may result in a delay processing your application)**'

What did others put in for Tesla? I'm maybe being thick but I can seem to find these details?
I just stuck down Tesla and used the address on the purchase confirmation which is somewhere in England - don't think it would matter if you just stuck in your local SC though.

Hi all. Can someone please confirm if I am able to use my own savings to pay for the car while waiting for the EST payment to come through? I am meant to be collecting the car next Friday but I doubt I will receive my EST loan by then. I have been approved and signed all my paperwork

once your claim is approved though there’s a final step where they call you and confirm it’s you, confirm that you can pay the monthlies and confirm that you want to start paying the loan and also that you are able to pick the car up from the dealer.

I really didn’t want to get into the whole debate with them that yes and actually I now have my car etc. I just answered the questions they asked. I am sure it’d have technically made no difference that I was actually in possession of the car but these government loan things are often administered by people who rigidly stick to process. So just be prepared for it if that’s what happens.

Lucky you got in before they changed the rules as teslas ain’t on the list of qualifying vehicles now.