Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] What we already knew - EV misinformation in press - it’s not gone unnoticed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never set foot in a petrol station in over 4 years. Grim places even before you factor in the prices. Plug in at home. Sleep.

That’s reason enough for me to switch to electric. I don’t think Tesla are all that now though. But won’t ever go back to petrol.
I actually did go to local garage roughly a month ago. I used compressor to add some air to my tyres (up to 3 bar) and then went inside and grabbed a cup of coffee.

then went into petrol station on Christmas day, about 7 PM. because it was the only place in town which had Tequila for sale at that time and after 2 bottles of Don Julio, the taste of Sierra Tequila was the least issue :D

I’ve never set foot in a petrol station in over 4 years. Grim places even before you factor in the prices. Plug in at home. Sleep.
I’m looking forward to my annual petrol station visit, as it’ll mean it’s spring and thus needing petrol for the lawnmower.

Pulling up at a pump in the Tesla can get a few funny looks, even when you pull the plastic can out, biggest problem is giving the grass it’s first mow without getting that P.P. Arnold song stuck in your head.

I’m looking forward to my annual petrol station visit, as it’ll mean it’s spring and thus needing petrol for the lawnmower.

Pulling up at a pump in the Tesla can get a few funny looks, even when you pull the plastic can out, biggest problem is giving the grass it’s first mow without getting that P.P. Arnold song stuck in your head.
I bought an EGO battery mower and works great. I used to dread trying to start the gas mower the first time in the Spring.

That’s reason enough for me to switch to electric. I don’t think Tesla are all that now though. But won’t ever go back to petrol.
I had to buy some soft drinks that apparently were only sold in one garage. Separate parking was full, so just EVed one of the pumps. I suspect as EVs take over we'll get ICE drivers complaining about blocked pumps.

For extra effect, get the can out of the frunk. Never fails to add extra confusion.

Thankfully last spring was likely the final time I'll need to do that at all... Switched to an Einhell battery mower last year.

I’m looking forward to my annual petrol station visit, as it’ll mean it’s spring and thus needing petrol for the lawnmower

Got rid of all those petrol devices years ago. You've missed the bit where you have to fettle the mower to get it to start, at all, first time in the season - or maybe every time, if it is old and tired - and then the cord is going to break first pull. And you have to "park" it taking up valuable space, 'coz you can't just hang it on the wall 'coz all its fluids will pour out, poor thing ...

My lawn is cut by robots now; mowing used to be a Friday evening chore ready for weekend - and then, if raining, a Saturday morning chore when we likely had weekend guests coming and Wifee would have liked help to get ready ... Robots not perfect, but work well most of the time and when they do every morning when I wake up my lawn looks freshly cut - 'coz it is!

My lawn is cut by robots now; mowing used to be a Friday evening chore ready for weekend - and then, if raining, a Saturday morning chore when we likely had weekend guests coming and Wifee would have liked help to get ready ... Robots not perfect, but work well most of the time and when they do every morning when I wake up my lawn looks freshly cut - 'coz it is!

This thread is already OT so I will take it further on subject of Robot mowers…

I have been thinking of getting a robot mower but not found an answer for them being suitable for us.

We have several families of friendly badgers who regularly visit us. Consequently we have several well trodden badger highways across our lawn.

How deep do the lawn edge wires have to go as badgers have big claws and I would think we would need to bury them at least a couple of inches deep along the edge to prevent them being dug up by the claws of accelerating/braking badgers?

This thread is already OT so I will take it further on subject of Robot mowers…

I have been thinking of getting a robot mower but not found an answer for them being suitable for us.

We have several families of friendly badgers who regularly visit us. Consequently we have several well trodden badger highways across our lawn.

How deep do the lawn edge wires have to go as badgers have big claws and I would think we would need to bury them at least a couple of inches deep along the edge to prevent them being dug up by the claws of accelerating/braking badgers?

Some don't need wires, they either detect edges or use another technique. I don't have any sources to hand, but my current petrol mower will be my last and I keep a half-eye on mower videos. I'll research what's available when the petrol mower dies.

To keep this slightly on-topic, I do wonder how much fuel/servicing demand will fall as councils, hospitals and estate management companies switch to electric for pollution, safety, noise and eventually cost reasons. Mowing grass near a hospital's dementia ward used to have to be cleared by ward management and extra staff on duty due to the patients' distress.

Having a fleet (of tagged as anti-theft) robot mowers/leaf & rubbish collectors just doing a little bit every day will change things a lot.

It's a harder subject to spin in the media - but they'll try (probably burning batteries, unemployment, thefts).

Only along the perimeter - which might not be exactly where Badgers are making indentations?

But a couple of inches should be fine (if your lawn is big enough you can have a contractor lay the wire with a machine - spinning disc cuts a groove and pushes the wire into it). We have some "likely to damage" spots, and we threaded the wire though some old hosepipe, and buried that, to give it some protection. If your badgers would massacre that! then I reckon that MDPE pipe would do ... or a paving slab!! We've got some paving slabs that stretch into the lawn a bit, the wire goes under them and the mower runs onto the slab.

The wires are 6" to 12 " in from the edge (if that helps). My mower has a setting for "How far past wire" to mow - so I can choose how far from edge I want to install the wire (has to be consistent all the way around, Natch!)

Note that (for most models) you still have to hand mow the edge (or strim) because they don't go right-to-the-edge

I do wonder how much fuel/servicing demand will fall as councils, hospitals and estate management companies switch to electric for pollution, safety, noise and eventually cost reasons

On a commercial gardening contractors forum I read the Pro Battery lobby say it means they can work on clients sites early on a Saturday morning ... or not have to co-ordinate with homeworking owners that have phone meetings etc. - whereas with Petrol they had that additional hassle.

Only along the perimeter - which might not be exactly where Badgers are making indentations?

Yep. That’s where they are full on acceleration or braking, especially when the youngsters are around and they are racing!

No edge on most of lawn, the rest is organic into the shrubs etc so a distance from the shrub line would be useful.

A few inches down and through a pipe of some sort would probably work nicely. They are creatures of habit most of the time… until another family create their own highway across the lawn!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
On a commercial gardening contractors forum I read the Pro Battery lobby say it means they can work on clients sites early on a Saturday morning ... or not have to co-ordinate with homeworking owners that have phone meetings etc. - whereas with Petrol they had that additional hassle.

I wish. The one thing I can't stand about working from home is all the petrol powered leaf blowers. It's EVERY FREAKING DAY (including Saturday and Sunday) and it's insanely noisy. Why can't they just all come on the same day? Get it over with?