Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot Back as 4k Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, y'know, something's coming. "Quantum leap" I heard.

I had my first long drive with NoA today. It's a game changer for me because of panic attacks while highway driving. Today was low stress in a way I haven't felt in a decade.

You're all used to it, I think. I was skeptical but today was convinced. I'm willing to give the engineers the benefit of the doubt.

And it does feel like they're setting up for a price increase, because they know people will want FSD more in a few months.

Yeah, yeah, Tesla time. Still.

Or, y'know, something's coming. "Quantum leap" I heard.

I had my first long drive with NoA today. It's a game changer for me because of panic attacks while highway driving. Today was low stress in a way I haven't felt in a decade.

You're all used to it, I think. I was skeptical but today was convinced. I'm willing to give the engineers the benefit of the doubt.

And it does feel like they're setting up for a price increase, because they know people will want FSD more in a few months.

Yeah, yeah, Tesla time. Still.
NoA would be great if it was possible to add some way-points like when using Google Map or ABRP.

With the current NoA, you cannot decide your itinerary, for example NoA will find a shorter road using small residential or
business roads with many stops signs instead of letting you use a more direct itinerary using major Highways or main streets.

Also it would be great to be able to select how much percentage you want to arrive at a super charger
and how much percentage you want to charge.

This would allow to optimize time like ABRP do, instead of NoA selecting the lowest possible number
of Supercharger stops, but not the optimum travel time.

I've seen tax mentioned as always being collected but I pulled this up from Florida Dept of Revenue:

"Sales of custom software - downloaded are exempt from the sales tax in Florida. Sales of customization of canned software are exempt from the sales tax in Florida. Sales of digital products are exempt from the sales tax in Florida."

If true, might be another good reason not to buy FSD or enhanced when ordering but add on later.

I've seen tax mentioned as always being collected but I pulled this up from Florida Dept of Revenue:

"Sales of custom software - downloaded are exempt from the sales tax in Florida. Sales of customization of canned software are exempt from the sales tax in Florida. Sales of digital products are exempt from the sales tax in Florida."

If true, might be another good reason not to buy FSD or enhanced when ordering but add on later.
Tax will likely vary. I noticed there was less tax charged when adding FSD during a new MY build vs a friend who went to the purchase screen on his delivered M3. He was quoted an extra $600, which matches our normal sales tax rate in NC.

Tax will likely vary. I noticed there was less tax charged when adding FSD during a new MY build vs a friend who went to the purchase screen on his delivered M3. He was quoted an extra $600, which matches our normal sales tax rate in NC.

Here's digital download tax info on all states, given the complexity, I wonder if Tesla just charges tax on all.

Sales Tax on Digital Goods by State

State Taxable Note
Alabama YES Digital downloads are generally considered tangible personal property and are taxable at the same rate as other tangible personal property.
Alaska NO Local taxes apply in Alaska.
Arizona YES Digital downloads are generally considered tangible personal property and are subject to gross receipts tax.
Arkansas NO Digital subscriptions are also tax exempt. Changing to taxable in 2018.
California NO If you provide a physical copy or physical storage then the sale is taxable.
Colorado YES Electronic delivery of “legal publication” newspapers are exempt, since physical copies of those same newspapers are exempt.
Connecticut YES Sales or purchases of ‘digital downloads’ from the Internet are taxed at a reduced rate of 1%.
Delaware NO No sales tax in the state.
Florida NO If the item is sold with tangible personal property then the entire sale would most likely be subject to Florida sales tax.
Georgia NO Digital products are tax exempt in Georgia.
Hawaii YES Digital products are taxable in Hawaii.
Idaho YES Taxable if permanent right to use, Tax-exempt if leasing or renting the product.
Illinois NO Digital products are tax exempt in Illinois.
Indiana YES Includes audio works, audio visual works and books.
Iowa YES Digital products and services related to them.
Kansas NO Digital products are tax exempt in Kansas.
Kentucky YES Considered tangible personal property.
Louisiana YES Digital products are taxable in Louisiana.
Maine YES Digital products are taxable in Maine.
Maryland NO Maryland does not expressly state whether digital products are taxable or non-taxable, so it is generally assumed they are tax exempt.
Massachusetts NO Digital products are tax exempt in Massachusetts.
Michigan NO Digital products are tax exempt in Michigan.
Minnesota YES Considered tangible personal property. Student digital textbooks and instructional materials are exempt.
Mississippi YES Digital products are taxable in Mississippi.
Missouri NO Digital products are tax exempt in Missouri.
Montana NO No sales tax in the state.
Nebraska YES Digital products and digital codes to access such products are also taxable.
Nevada NO Also includes audio-visual works, for both temporary and permanent sales.
New Hampshire NO No sales tax in the state.
New Jersey YES Includes digital audio-visual works like movies, audio works like music and ringtones and digital books.
New Mexico YES Digital products are taxable in New Mexico. Most transactions are subject to New Mexico’s gross receipts tax (the state’s version of sales tax).
New York NO However, there are some exceptions to ebooks.
North Carolina YES Digital audio works, audiovisual works, books, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, reports or other publications, photographs or greeting cards delivered electronically are all considered tangible personal property.
North Dakota NO Digital products are tax exempt in North Dakota.
Ohio YES Digital audiovisual work, digital audio work and digital books are taxable.
Oklahoma NO Digital products are tax exempt in Oklahoma.
Oregon NO No sales tax in the state.
Pennsylvania YES Photos, books, games and other downloads are taxable.
Rhode Island NO Digital products are tax exempt in Rhode Island.
South Carolina YES Digital products are taxable in South Carolina.
South Dakota YES Digital products are taxable in South Dakota.
Tennessee YES Digital products are taxable in Tennessee.
Texas YES Taxable as long as the item also taxable if sold in physical format.
Utah YES Digital products are taxable in Utah.
Vermont YES Digital products are taxable in Vermont, whether transferred electronically for permanent or temporary use.
Virginia NO Digital products are tax exempt in Virginia.
Washington YES Digital products are taxable in Washington. This includes downloaded digital goods like music and movies, streamed and accessed digital goods, and digital automated services.
Washington DC YES Digital products include audio/audiovisual works, e-books, digital codes, apps, games, and any other taxable tangible personal property that’s digitally delivered, streamed or accessed, purchased singly or by subscription.
West Virginia NO Digital products are tax exempt in West Virginia.
Wisconsin YES Digital goods are taxable in Wisconsin. This includes audio works, audiovisual works, books and codes used to purchase works (digital or physical) by digital means.
Wyoming YES Digital products are taxable in Wyoming. This includes digital audio works, audio visual works and books.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Here's digital download tax info on all states, given the complexity, I wonder if Tesla just charges tax on all.

Tesla doesn’t “charge” tax. They collect it on behalf of the taxing jurisdictions (state and/or locality) and remit that money to the taxing authority. (They don’t keep the money.). They shouldn’t have any discretion on any of it.

That said, I wonder if changing out addresses on our Tesla accounts might prevent the collection of sales tax in the event we now live in a state that doesn’t charge sales tax. (To the extent that they don’t as it is? I’d be surprised if they did?)

It's a garbage option.

When I bought my car after the AP price drop, I picked up AP for $3000. It was another $5000 for FSD. Total of 8k.

Earlier, when EAP was around, EAP was $5k, and FSD was a 3k upgrade, total of 8k.

So if I paid 3k for AP, paying 4k more for EAP is 7k total. Not a good deal.

If AP+FSD wasn't worth it last year for 8k, getting EAP for 7k certainly isn't either. Especially when you factor in that it doesn't transfer from your car. So my car has almost 2 years less lifespan on it, which means 2 years less usage.

And that's why FSD got a price drop for the EAP adopters - it didn't make sense for them to pay 5k for EAP and then 5k for FSD (10k total).
I'm confused -- it's not possible to have a Model Y without AP right? So what's the relevance of this in a MY forum? Am I missing something?

Reactions: rlasry1 and Tundrok
Tesla doesn’t “charge” tax. They collect it on behalf of the taxing jurisdictions (state and/or locality) and remit that money to the taxing authority. (They don’t keep the money.). They shouldn’t have any discretion on any of it.

That said, I wonder if changing out addresses on our Tesla accounts might prevent the collection of sales tax in the event we now live in a state that doesn’t charge sales tax. (To the extent that they don’t as it is? I’d be surprised if they did?)

I think we all understand the collection of taxes...When I had MY delivered, they "collected" almost $400 too much on registration/title fees. I brought a copy of Florida DMV rates and was told I was wrong. I got a check for the full over "collection" 6 weeks later. The individual state rules on digital taxing are complicated and I'm not sure how Tesla will deal with that but apparently they have the discretion to collect when in doubt and refund if questioned.

I'm confused -- it's not possible to have a Model Y without AP right? So what's the relevance of this in a MY forum? Am I missing something?

You can't really avoid it either on the 3. But keep in mind the pricing across all cars went up by $2000 when they made AP standard. So it isn't free as some people think (when compared to previous pricing since the vehicle price went up too)

Reactions: Tundrok
Definitely hope I get delivery for my Y ahead of 30th so I can grab the EAP deal. We have FSD on our model 3 and I would never in a million years spend $8k on that as it is now, but $4k for these features is much more palatable.

Also heard rumors of a subscription based FSD, that might be more interesting as something that can be enabled for road trips.

Reactions: rlasry1