Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot features now FSD-only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I don't get it. What is the difference between someone who in July 2018 bought EAP ($5000) and someone who in July 2019 bought EAP + FSD ($8000)?

It seems like a person who buys AP + FSD in March 2019 ($8000) will get the same things as the person who bought EAP ($5000) in July 2018.

EAP will not recognize stop lights and stop sign. And cannot have nav on autopilot in streets.

FSD will

I logged into my account. I used to have the option to purchase FSD, as in a few days ago, now it’s not there. I’m totally happy with EAP, so not overly worried. I would like the option to get FSD though if I changed my mind. Someone on twitter suggested a “limited time” discount for EAP users, depending on the price I’d probably jump on that, I really can’t see it being free but maybe some kind of offer for EAP customers.

All that to say, it’s interesting the option is just gone, but again, I don’t feel screwed or anything, love my M3.

I logged into my account. I used to have the option to purchase FSD, as in a few days ago, now it’s not there.
Same here.
I’m totally happy with EAP, so not overly worried. I would like the option to get FSD though if I changed my mind. Someone on twitter suggested a “limited time” discount for EAP users, depending on the price I’d probably jump on that, I really can’t see it being free but maybe some kind of offer for EAP customers.
Personally I have no intention of buying FSD anytime soon, but now it looks like they took away the upgrade path for existing owners who might want it, even though it was promised from the beginning that all cars could be upgraded. Not nice if true.

BTW, I'm wondering if the city driving features require HW3. If yes, this means that HW3 must be ready given that the cars have delivery times of 2 weeks now. If no, it means the existing cars could potentially get the same features with a software upgrade.

Same here.
Personally I have no intention of buying FSD anytime soon, but now it looks like they took away the upgrade path for existing owners who might want it, even though it was promised from the beginning that all cars could be upgraded. Not nice if true.

BTW, I'm wondering if the city driving features require HW3. If yes, this means that HW3 must be ready given that the cars have delivery times of 2 weeks now. If no, it means the existing cars could potentially get the same features with a software upgrade.

The upgrade option in MyTesla has appeared and disappeared countless times over the last couple years. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Same here.

Yep, seems like a wait and see scenario. Like I said, I’m happy with EAP, I have a short commute and I only really use it when I travel to Toronto, so I don’t “need” FSD for sure. Agree though that just taking away the option kinda sucks. Maybe it’s temporary while they decide what it’ll cost us.

My guess from the information we have so far is that those who ordered EAP before today will get all of the upgrades to NOA, summon and autopark that the car's hardware can handle without additional charge. Those who purchased FSD will get free hardware upgrades as needed to enable new FSD features. That seems to be the fairest way to make sure everyone gets what they paid for without additional costs to Tesla. As a buyer of EAP but not FSD, I would be perfectly happy with that.

Yep, seems like a wait and see scenario. Like I said, I’m happy with EAP, I have a short commute and I only really use it when I travel to Toronto, so I don’t “need” FSD for sure.
Honestly, if the new "basic" Autopilot for $3k had been available when I bought my car I would have chosen that instead of the $5k EAP. I don't use Summon, Autopark or Navigate on Autopilot at all because they are so unreliable.

How are they gonna handle those of us grandfathered in to EAP? Like at some point soon here NoA performance will substantially diverge on HW3 but we already have the feature.

Will they want $4k from me for it just to work...better? While doing the same thing?

This sounds tricky.
We will fall by the wayside like my P3D- and track mode. No one will care in another year.

Reactions: Perry
Product page for Model 3 mentions:
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
I wonder where rotaries/roundabouts fits in this? I'll probably pass on those. Automatic driving on secondary roads seems very doable, but FSD on city streets in say Boston, not something I would do in the near future. I'm pleased though with the potential for the initial FSD rollout in the next year.