Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot features now FSD-only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the tweet from Elon that is being discussed in this thread where he promises a free upgrade to HW3 if you buy the FSD package. Here is a link to the article about it:

Tesla owners who ordered Full Self-Driving will get free HW3 upgrade, says Elon Musk

So if you can take Elon at his word on this, it would appear the $3K upgrade to FSD being offered by existing M3 owners who already purchased EAP is a good investment to futureproof your vehicle. I’m guessing that over the next few days someone will ask Elon to confirm this and we can see how he responds.

I still would prefer to see it in writing. I don’t understand how a company as big as Tesla can sell expensive tech products with significant gaps in the product description details and expect its customers to refer to six month old tweets from its CEO to determine what they are really purchasing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I still would prefer to see it in writing. I don’t understand how a company as big as Tesla can sell expensive tech products with significant gaps in the product description details and expect its customers to refer to six month old tweets from its CEO to determine what they are really purchasing.

Twitter is writing.

As the SEC has demonstrated, what your CEO posts there has legal consequences.

It literally has to.

Tesla has told us numerous times, including on their official earnings call, that HW3 is needed for the advanced "coming later this year" FSD features they list as part of the package you are buying....and as such anyone who has bought FSD gets that upgrade free if they need it.

(They've been saying since the AP2->2.5 switch in fact that anyone who bought FSD and needs a hardware upgrade to get FSD features gets the hardware upgrade free...though HW3 will be the first time that actually needs to happen)

I think the $3k offer is a waste for EAP owners. Any hardware upgrade date may be far off and what do you really get, a few extra features. They may have some additional supervised features but what's the point of that if I have to monitor that? By the time any non-supervised features are available the car is older and the value of the upgrade is diminished and may be discounted to get higher take up rates. Also the MY will be announced with more improvements and a possible upgrade option for some. For $3K i just don't see the value unless you want a few extra features and particularly after the big hit on the car value. EAP is the only thing that remains of value on the M3 as some of the also not so important features are not reached on new models without a much higher upgrade. I think this was a bone plus the 5% power to temper previous owners form being upset. Even the EAP features are a bit silly since NAV on autopilot adds marginal value IMO and no way would I let my car do auto park based on its present capabilities. Why would I need something with such low utility and possible drawbacks? Well unless it can asses a good safe place to defensively park. I suppose some people need this, wait I know some people need this based on what I see in lots:) True full autonomy would be worth MUCH more to me but not some silly incremental features past lane holding and speed control.

I think the $3k offer is a waste for EAP owners. Any hardware upgrade date may be far off and what do you really get, a few extra features. They may have some additional supervised features but what's the point of that if I have to monitor that?

You have to monitor EAP too- so what was the point of you buying THAT by that line of thinking?

And now that they've moved the existing advanced EAP features over to FSD it's likely HW3 cars will see significantly improved versions of those features as well that HW2.5 cars won't see.... (and nav on AP could sure use it!)

So you're getting quite a lot in addition to the HW upgrade that enables future features.

My account shows $3k to upgrade to FSD now. It went down from $5k but the checkout button is greyed out. Seems like anyone with EAP will have an option to upgrade to FSD at $3k within the next few days unless Elon changes his mind.

Frankly, this seems like a rotten deal to me. I paid $46,000 + $5000 EAP for Mid-range. And they want me to pay extra $3000 for FSD, which will bring the price to $54000. The same car today, with FSD, sells for $48,000.

FSD should be free for all previous EAP purchases. And people who previously bought FSD should receive a refund.

I'm super excited that FSD is part of a conversation with Tesla.

I was hoping that I didn't waste my money on it.

NOW!!! on the other hand.

I came across an opinion that FSD was not widely purchased. With that said...I wonder how many people will be able to represent Tesla's wonderful FSD features that will separate them from just about EVERY other car manufacturer.

I too would like to see it clearly stated whether adding FSD for $3k now will include HW3.

I don't take Elon's tweet from 10/16/18 as any guarantee of that. Responding to a tweet asking "Aspirational timeline for the new chip?" he wrote: "~6 months before it is in all new production cars. No change to sensors. This is simple replacement of the Autopilot computer. Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving."

That could mean anything. Could only apply to people who had already purchased FSD as of that date he was tweeting but not people who purchase it going forward. Could also just mean they won't charge any labor for swapping the computer, but you'll still have to pay for the new computer.

Would sure be nice for Tesla to just clarify this now. And clarify how long this $3k pricing will be available.

Its a funny thing. When I bought / took delivery of the car in October, it seemed as if Tesla was sill promoting FSD as "full autonomous driving" (which is at least how I interpreted it.) At the time, it was a no brainer for me NOT to order it, because I thought the chances of that level of autonomy being made available anytime soon (especially in Canada) was slim to none.

Now that they have "re positioned" what FSD involves, and in my situation, like many others, with legacy EAP, there seems to be a clearly defined feature set which you will get for CDN$4k, it actually makes it somewhat more attractive.

Whether CDN$4K is "worth it" for some additional features of stop sign / traffic lights and automated city street driving is a different question.

Reactions: GeoX750
I too would like to see it clearly stated whether adding FSD for $3k now will include HW3.

It literally has to.

Tesla has told us numerous times, including on their official earnings call, that HW3 is needed for the advanced "coming later this year" FSD features they list as part of the package you are buying....and as such anyone who has bought FSD gets that upgrade free if they need it.

because it's otherwise impossible for Tesla to provide you that functionality you paid for as part of FSD.

(They've been saying since the AP2->2.5 switch in fact that anyone who bought FSD and needs a hardware upgrade to get FSD features gets the hardware upgrade free...though HW3 will be the first time that actually needs to happen)

The website refers to the car finding you, not finding a parking spot. I did see a demo of a car actually finding an open parking spot on its own a while back but it was just a concept video, not a demonstration of a shipping product.

The scenario I envision is where I’ve just finished shopping at the market and have a whole bunch of bags to load into my car. Instead of having to carry the bags to where the car is parked I summon the car to pick me up in front of the store.

I am skeptical this will be approved by regulators. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Where I live getting out of the lot alive is something that would challenge the best FSD system. I hope the system can de
You have to monitor EAP too- so what was the point of you buying THAT by that line of thinking?

And now that they've moved the existing advanced EAP features over to FSD it's likely HW3 cars will see significantly improved versions of those features as well that HW2.5 cars won't see.... (and nav on AP could sure use it!)

So you're getting quite a lot in addition to the HW upgrade that enables future features.

I got it because even with monitoring it makes driving much easier the other added features do not. Even navigate on AP is a bit silly even if it worked great but it often is annoying and wants to change lanes when I don't. I don't use it now as it is more irritating than beneficial. I do not see a $3K argument for "possible" new hardware even to make existing features better as there will never be $3k in improvement value. I think is it silly to buy this now unless you LOVE the added features which to me are pretty useless and really should be included with EAP. AP hardware is costly and Tesla absorbs that with hope it will be used in all cars. Performance M3 is a check box that has no other costs, that is where they should be reducing the price. If they make that $3-4K they would sell SOOOO many more AWD cars and make a bunch of margin.

Yesterday I didn't have the option but today I do to order the FSD for an additional $3000....I thought it was 5 or 7k additional when I got the car in december. Awd owners seem to be the least affected. I did the math last night and with my federal and state incentives if I bought the car today it would still be about 900 more than I paid in december.

I'm not ordering a 3k option for it to read street signs. I'm hoping this gets included for the EAP owners

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-121349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-121349_Chrome.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 78
Frankly, this seems like a rotten deal to me. I paid $46,000 + $5000 EAP for Mid-range. And they want me to pay extra $3000 for FSD, which will bring the price to $54000. The same car today, with FSD, sells for $48,000.

FSD should be free for all previous EAP purchases. And people who previously bought FSD should receive a refund.

All early adapters paid more. Line waiters didn't anything special either. Just learn and move on. Next Tesla, just wait until they give you the deals you want before buying it right away.

After I paid the AWD increase, they lowered it again right after.

I have asked my dealership if the upgrade includes hardware or not... they said it's just software for now but might include hardware in the future... they can't say if price will go up/down, but mentioned Elon will have an announcement later on this afternoon about autopilot that could clarify few things...

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Are you talking about cruise control from the previous decade? Take a look at a Toyota Corolla. Even on the cheapest model standard features include pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert with steering assist, and dynamic radar cruise control. And all of these features are standard on an $18,700 MSRP car. This is why I think it’s nonsense for Tesla to charge $3K for these features. They have essentially stripped out a very basic feature offered in virtually all modern cars for little to no money and are charging $3K for it to make up for the $35K base price they really would prefer not to sell the car for.
When comparing Tesla tech to the Toyota or Honda’s “Sensing” ACC and LKAS tech in my 2016 Honda Civic it’s not even a close comparison...don’t get me wrong, it’s good in the Honda for the money but you DO get what you pay for (jams on brakes more aggressively, can’t trust the lane management or seeing the dividers, makes you jiggle the wheel every 15 secs, etc., etc.)...the premium experience is worth it to me esp. for safety features - but it is nice that everyone is able to get more advanced tech than 10 years ago...even in less expensive cars

Latest is that people that bought EAP can upgrade to FSD for $2K. Will also qualify for the new computer when available...no extra cost.

Claim is that the new computer will make the vehicles so much safer than with human drivers that it wlll be well worth the upgrade.

Those with faith will make the jump, while cynics will hold off till it is proven.

I'm going to order the FSD upgrade and also adding the newly available factory HEPA filter for my 2017 75X.