TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Enhanced Autopilot

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by flamingoezz, Oct 26, 2016.

1. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

With 4 cameras instead of one, will enhanced autopilot be capable of driving without the need to hold on to the steering wheel? I'm not necessarily needing to have my car making trips without a body inside, but was hoping I could take a break from staring at the road on longer trips. I wasn't able to ascertain from the conference call whether only full autonomous will do this.

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

The design studio has an answer, at Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla

Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times.

Based on that text I'd call it L2, not L3. So I'd expect to have to keep my hands on the wheel most of the time, and I'd expect some form of nag if I don't.

But possibly that text is there for legal reasons, and in practice EAP will turn out to be L3. We won't know for certain until it's on the road, will we?

• Like x 1