Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good one Deb. It's people like this that would drive me nuts. No consideration for the person in the truck patiently waiting for the car to do its thing. And the owner is probably just 50 feet away from the car. Looks like a case where he just wants to show off and doesn't really need to have the car come to him. Come on folks. Use it where it is really needed and stop being a Peacock. It's things like this that makes other car owners begin to hate Tesla drivers.
Hello Glen Hamilton

nevermind looks like the new update didn't fix enhanced summon. can't use it at all
6065F793-97DB-41C2-B075-57D4BC66691D.jpeg

Live a little. Have some fun with ssome new tech. It’s a work in progress. Why do so many not understand that tech like this has to start somewhere.
We would have no tech, if no one wanted to experiment and have some fun.
You can always stop the car anytime if you get scared. :)

Personal injuries will only occur if the operator is not paying attention. Just like autopilot.

If you are in an entirely open parking lot, playing around with this feature might not be irresponsible.

But where there are other cars in the lot, this attitude is just insane.

ES clearly does not do a number of things that drivers routinely do:

1. Watch for the brake lights and backing lights of parked cars.
2. Take caution around parked cars that look like they might be about to back out of a space.
3. Honk at a car that is backing up towards the driver and doesn't seem to see the driver's stopped or approaching car.
4. Take caution when approaching the intersection of parking lot lanes.

ES doesn't do these things, and the remote "driver" wont be at the correct angle or distance to see everything a person in the driver's seat would see. Nor can he or she do much other than order the Tesla to stop.

A car moving through a parking lot may technically have right-of-way over a car backing out of a parking space. But the fact is that the driver of the car that is in the movement lane will often see the back of the car backing out way before the driver of the parked car will see the front of the moving car. Thus, in the normal course of driving, drivers avoid a lot of accidents by reacting to what back cars do (or seem like they might do). ES's strategy of stopping once it sees a car actually moving into its path (and doing nothing else), is irresponsible and will dramatically increase the number of parking lot accidents-- even if many of those accidents might technically be the fault of the backing driver.

The focus of a lot of posters about who is "at fault" in these accidents is really misplaced. This issue is that ES vehicles skip doing all sorts of things that normal drivers do, and an ES car will be involved in a lot more accidents. Blaming the other driver for an accident that wouldn't have occurred if you weren't using ES is breaking the basic social contract that we all should do everything we can to avoid an impending accident, even when we have right of way.

How would they nerf it?

Disable or limit it voluntarily (unlikely) or by law (Such as the scooter GPS geofence regulation in SD).

I haven't tried it yet as I need to find an empty lot and motivation, but from the videos posted I'm surprised it doesn't alert when it begins moving outside of some flashing lights which are hard to see in the day. "Beep beep" when backing out of a spot seems obvious.

I think there's ultimately going to have to be some way to alert others that car is moving without an operator inside. Some type of light, blinking pattern, or unique noise so people (and even other cars moving without operators) know how to interact with it. I suspect these type of standards will be regulated at some point for consistency.

As it stands, this feature is going to piss people off, IMHO. People are "testing" it in busy lots such as Costco and Walmart that's already full of idiocy with humans behind the wheel. We'll have to get ready for more motorcycle mirror slaps and keying videos are people's patience gets tested when they're trying to get their rotisserie chicken.

Disable or limit it voluntarily (unlikely) or by law (Such as the scooter GPS geofence regulation in SD).

I haven't tried it yet as I need to find an empty lot and motivation, but from the videos posted I'm surprised it doesn't alert when it begins moving outside of some flashing lights which are hard to see in the day. "Beep beep" when backing out of a spot seems obvious.

I think there's ultimately going to have to be some way to alert others that car is moving without an operator inside. Some type of light, blinking pattern, or unique noise so people (and even other cars moving without operators) know how to interact with it. I suspect these type of standards will be regulated at some point for consistency.

As it stands, this feature is going to piss people off, IMHO. People are "testing" it in busy lots such as Costco and Walmart that's already full of idiocy with humans behind the wheel. We'll have to get ready for more motorcycle mirror slaps and keying videos are people's patience gets tested when they're trying to get their rotisserie chicken.

Are you mad at Tesla, Costco shoppers, or rotisserie chicken? I can’t tell.