Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actually Smart Summon (ASS) - Will it ever happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, you are part of a very small minority. Not that I have issues with minorites, but Tesla has a very large number of loyal owners because despite the known flaws, the cars are just great.

This hasn't actually happened to you though, it's just anger speaking, right?

No, and it isn't anger, it is anxiety. Almost daily I'm reminded of the control Tesla has over my vehicle and that I drive it only because they haven't intentionally or unintentionally taken away my ability to do so. For instance, twice recently my car has been 'dead' when I get into it. Phone key lets me in but the screen won't wake up, car won't start, so I have to reboot. I can't point to any pattern and I can't force the situation, therefore asking for service is a waste of time. At least it happens often enough to others that I knew what the solution was without having to panic since there are multiple threads about it.

But knowing how to overcome a failure in my car is not the same as having a good car. In my youth, I could smoothly throw my car into neutral and restart it during a left turn before the momentum from entering the turn dissipated leaving me blocking the turn lane. But that didn't mean that I could ignore the fact that on rainy days, moisture would drip into the carburetor's air intake and stall the car. At least I knew what the issue was and could get it fixed. The 'arrive at the car and find it dead' ' quirk of my car recently has no known cause, just a workaround. So I wait for another update and hope (this started after the last two updates but doesn't occur after I first do the update, it occurs days later - possibly because the car has finally been to sleep - maybe I'll go peruse my Teslafi logs to see if the car was sleeping before not working.)

I agree that Tesla owner-haters are in the minority. But forums tend to be a poor indication of the popularity of anything.

In the case of Tesla, true haters have sold their cars and moved on so don't waste time on forums. I can't do that because we are a single car family and my husband loves the car despite all the problems with it. So I'm still here, learning how to overcome the problems that Tesla keeps creating for us (for instance, learning that removing Joe Mode gave my husband back the turn signal sound.) We only have one parking spot so we keep the Tesla and I keep searching for work-arounds (I'm pissed that I could have sold it for a profit in the first 18 months of ownership.)

Lately, though, we are seeing more and more posts from people asking why park assist and summon aren't working because they bought the car based on the marketing and not doing the research (I fully admit, I thought I was buying a premium vehicle, not a vehicle priced high but delivering less build quality than my previous Prius.) There are also people who bought Tesla because delivery times on PHEVs from other car companies were ridiculous (that's partly why I pulled the trigger on the MY because the Rav4 Hybrid was a 9 month wait and this car came in 3 weeks.) These people are now learning what I've learned and reasonable portion of them aren't geeks but people who just want to be able to get into a car and drive without having to figure out where the defrost button is today.
You sure that's not the mosquito deflection feature of Camp Mode?

I love this, it's a new feature, not a bug!

@SidetrackedSue - regarding the car not waking up... in the service menu you can reinstall the latest software. It'll also show error messages that may not be displayed to the driver.

If I were you, I'd try reinstalling, and if the car still sometimes doesn't wake up, I'd definitely file a service request. It may seem like a waste of time to you, but if you don't give them a shot to fix it, you can't really blame them for not fixing it.

@SidetrackedSue - regarding the car not waking up... in the service menu you can reinstall the latest software. It'll also show error messages that may not be displayed to the driver.

If I were you, I'd try reinstalling, and if the car still sometimes doesn't wake up, I'd definitely file a service request. It may seem like a waste of time to you, but if you don't give them a shot to fix it, you can't really blame them for not fixing it.
The re-install is an excellent diagnostic tool - but I think it freaks people out because of the big red warnings. It makes it sound like re-installing the software will cause problems in some cases, so people panic and back out.

But I've not heard of any re-installation failures
I watched mobile service replace VC_FRONT on my Model 3, and then do a re-install via the service menu. He somehow managed to flatten the lithium LV battery in the process, requiring a lengthy jump start and LV recharge from his Model S (which had 12V lead-acid, so the jump start to 16V lithium wasn't immediately successful and required a few phone calls). I've been a bit wary since.

Chef’s kiss. 🤌🏻

IMG_5995.jpeg

"The park assist was beeping at me, but I ignored it..." Don't need to read anything after that.
At least in my car it beeps constantly. It beeps for painted lines, it beeps for shadows, it beeps for walls that don’t exist.

At least in my use case it’s more effective to ignore the thing because it’s so very wrong almost all of the time. I shut mine off recently because I was sick of it screaming at me.

At least in my car it beeps constantly. It beeps for painted lines, it beeps for shadows, it beeps for walls that don’t exist.

At least in my use case it’s more effective to ignore the thing because it’s so very wrong almost all of the time. I shut mine off recently because I was sick of it screaming at me.

Yeah, that's a problem. Too many false positives make a sensor useless. If your home smoke alarms go off 3 times a day for no reason, you're not going to run out of the house and call the fire department each time... you just start to ignore.

As much as I really like my Model 3 - boo on Tesla for removing USS and goofing with vision.

Good point.

No, lying is never okay.

BUT... "soon" is also a subjective term. I disagree that it's lying, but I also think it will never be as good as USS.

I definitely agree with you that Tesla and especially Elon don't always make good on promises.
You're missing the point, sir. They legitimately lied, saying to me that it would be coming in the next a few weeks when I bought my car in May 2023. They basically don't mind screwing over there paying customers with lies and false promises, for a paltry amount of money. They don't mind removing working features without actually having any replacement features ready, legitimately making this vehicle with its fake Auto Park capability legitimately more dangerous for me to drive and park everyday. Get off your high horse bro, maybe come up for air instead of bobbing on Elon so much. No other company would do this, except Tesla which gets pass after pass after pass from paying customers.

They legitimately lied, saying to me that it would be coming in the next a few weeks when I bought my car in May 2023. They basically don't mind screwing over there paying customers with lies and false promises, for a paltry amount of money.

Get off your high horse bro, maybe come up for air instead of bobbing on Elon so much. No other company would do this, except Tesla which gets pass after pass after pass from paying customers.
So get off your soapbox and sue Tesla instead of hurling digital tomatoes at Elon via a Tesla fan forum.

If folks check the "About Us" page for this forum, it says, "Our mission is to build and nurture an online international community for all those interested in Tesla, from the novice to the expert. In doing so we aim to solve the needs of the community by providing tools that facilitate communication, sharing of information, and exchanges." Thus, this isn't just a fan forum where we line up to lick the boots of Tesla in general and the muskrat in particular.

Here's an idea: if folks don't like posts that fail to engage in pure adulation by true fans, maybe just ignore the thread, the post, and/or the person posting? Perhaps the same for folks who don't want to see threads, and posts, and/or the person expressing the pure joy of adoring both Tesla and Musk. I'll get right on that, I promise.

To be clear, I loved my 2021 Model 3P, mostly, and love my 2023 MYLR, mostly. But there are things about the car that stink and shouldn't, and a number of features that have been repeatedly promised for years as already working on their cars when those features have either not been delivered or have been removed. I can't promise not to talk about that when someone brings these issues up. OTOH, I really really hope Tesla figures these issues out and resolves them in a gloriously successful way. After all, I own the car, and OTA is a thing, so there is always hope.

Here's an idea: if folks don't like posts that fail to engage in pure adulation by true fans, maybe just ignore the thread, the post, and/or the person posting?

Sage advice. To do so is simple, click on the person's name, their profile comes up and under "More Options" is the "ignore" option.

I find this does wonder for my blood pressure on all sorts of social media. Sometimes one doesn't want to have to skip over a whole thread because of the comments from certain people. This allows one to follow for information without being bothered by ridiculous posts that do not inform.

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun to watch the hate flow through many here. I'm often surprised just how many of you let Elon live rent free in your seemingly daily nightmares. Some of the hatred we've seen from past members borders on psychosis, as if they watched, helpless, while Elon tortured their family members.

It's a car. An object. A thing. If it's causing this much anger and stress, just sell it and buy something that will make you happy. You'll get the joy of driving something that works well for you, and the satisfaction that you participated in the free market and brought down the evil, tyrannical company, even if only in your mind.

Or this this a crusade, blessed by higher powers, with knights devoted to an endless onslaught of vitriol until either they or Tesla burns in the heat of their righteous indignation?

Reactions: JB47394
Don't get me wrong, it can be fun to watch the hate flow through many here. I'm often surprised just how many of you let Elon live rent free in your seemingly daily nightmares. Some of the hatred we've seen from past members borders on psychosis, as if they watched, helpless, while Elon tortured their family members.

It's a car. An object. A thing. If it's causing this much anger and stress, just sell it and buy something that will make you happy. You'll get the joy of driving something that works well for you, and the satisfaction that you participated in the free market and brought down the evil, tyrannical company, even if only in your mind.

Or this this a crusade, blessed by higher powers, with knights devoted to an endless onslaught of vitriol until either they or Tesla burns in the heat of their righteous indignation?
If you want to see more of that go to the Cybertruck section here on TMC.
Sometimes it feels like >50% of the posters there hate the CT but can’t seem to stop posting about it :rolleyes:
The constant stream of negativity is impressive, even for TMC

I'm still marveling that he named a feature that some people are waiting for, with the acronym ASS. Is he trying to point out it was asinine to remove SS before he had something else that "actually" worked? Luckily there are so many great other features in the car that it will always be a better buy than an ICE car. It's been a learning curve though. I'm excited about the holiday update coming soon. Just for fun

Last edited:
I'm still marveling that he named a feature that some people are waiting for, with the acronym ASS. Is he trying to point out it was asinine to remove SS before he had something else that "actually" worked? Luckily there are so many great other features in the car that it will always be a better buy than an ICE car. It's been a learning curve though. I'm excited about the holiday update coming soon. Just for fun
It's an admission that Smart Summon never worked properly. Removing it from non-USS cars was a mercy killing.