Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actually Smart Summon (ASS) - Will it ever happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooooo lots of people feeling the same way that I do aka hustled by Tesla. Nary a soul out there knows what's happening with ASS and autopark....

What kind of [genius] removes a notable feature from an in-demand product without being able to replace it immediately?? Not only is the replacement not ready, there is STILL literally no timeline for it? He should honestly should be sued to hell/Mars for this level of scumbaggery. I guess he must be a [very stable genius], since I don't see any rational logic in this type of "idgaf about honesty or customer service" attitude that I have come to expect from the Big T.....

Big Gulps, huh? Alright.... Welp, see ya later!

Reactions: Dracaris
Soooooo lots of people feeling the same way that I do aka hustled by Tesla. Nary a soul out there knows what's happening with ASS and autopark....

What kind of [genius] removes a notable feature from an in-demand product without being able to replace it immediately?? Not only is the replacement not ready, there is STILL literally no timeline for it? He should honestly should be sued to hell/Mars for this level of scumbaggery. I guess he must be a [very stable genius], since I don't see any rational logic in this type of "idgaf about honesty or customer service" attitude that I have come to expect from the Big T.....

Big Gulps, huh? Alright.... Welp, see ya later!

I was looking at a comparison of the Solterra (Suburu) to the ModelY and the JD Powers review talked specifically about the park assist on the Suburu ("a surround-view camera, and a parking assist feature that aids in both parallel and perpendicular parking situations.") For the Model Y it says: "The Tesla Autopilot system and optionally available Enhanced Autopilot system offer unusual driver assistance. The latter delivers automatic lane-change ability and active parking assistance." Either they were being less than truthful or they were simply reading the marketing stuff and not aware of how bamboozled Tesla buyers have been which indicates how totally useless their reviews and awards are. Notably missing from their awards is "Best Bullshitting by a delusional lying CEO".

Reactions: Dracaris
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision support page current says "Last updated October 5, 2023." The table under "Does the transition to Tesla Vision affect the availability of some features on vehicles delivered on or after October 2022?" shows "✓" next to Park Assist and "Coming soon" for Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon.
Kind of laughable they gave Vision park assist a “✓” when it still doesn’t work as well as USS, especially the front.

What kind of [genius] removes a notable feature from an in-demand product without being able to replace it immediately?? Not only is the replacement not ready, there is STILL literally no timeline for it? He should honestly should be sued to hell/Mars for this level of scumbaggery.

I don't feel hustled by Tesla one bit. Best car I've ever owned. Actually, best car I've ever driven in.

We've become a fairly legalistic society. The thing is, it takes a certain type of personality to think... "we can go against everything that's been done in the past and do better".

I know Elon's not responsible for all of the engineering at Tesla, but without his brand of crazy the company would likely not have survived.

Sure, you can get more stable products from legacy auto, and they are likely never going to sell something before it's ready... but they've also got decades of producing vehicles with almost zero innovation.

I'd rather have ten companies like Tesla replace all of legacy auto. It'd be an exciting future.

I don't feel hustled by Tesla one bit. Best car I've ever owned. Actually, best car I've ever driven in.

We've become a fairly legalistic society. The thing is, it takes a certain type of personality to think... "we can go against everything that's been done in the past and do better".

I know Elon's not responsible for all of the engineering at Tesla, but without his brand of crazy the company would likely not have survived.

Sure, you can get more stable products from legacy auto, and they are likely never going to sell something before it's ready... but they've also got decades of producing vehicles with almost zero innovation.

I'd rather have ten companies like Tesla replace all of legacy auto. It'd be an exciting future.
I agree with your sentiment completely, but I do not believe that extends to allowing Tesla to outright lie to customers.

The delays in the vision-based functionality are now so long that it was clearly a lie to claim they were coming ‘soon’.

I agree with your sentiment completely, but I do not believe that extends to allowing Tesla to outright lie to customers.

The delays in the vision-based functionality are now so long that it was clearly a lie to claim they were coming ‘soon’.

There's a big difference between lying and being wrong. I get it, Tesla does a lot of things that we all don't like.

When they pushed the v11 software update, it removed important climate controls from the bottom bar (defog, defrost) in the beginning of Winter... and we didn't get them back for 6 months, at the end of Spring.

I don't agree with their decision to remove USS at all, and I don't think cameras will *EVER* do a good job at replacing them. So I don't think "coming soon" will ever happen.

Tesla is clearly run by someone with a very high tolerance for risk, and who is willing to make choices that many people disagree with. However, it's these same traits that helped get Tesla to where they are.

The mature, reliable, and boring auto manufacturers were happy to have us burning gasoline for transportation and are only transitioning to BEVs begrudgingly.

So here's a thought experiment... Tesla has made so many mistakes and broken promises - what if every single owner were to sue them? We could sue them for not getting the stated range, for saying "coming soon" about vision replacing USS, about FSD not working, about the gas savings on their website being inaccurate, and many more. So many lawsuits that it puts them out of business. There.

Now... will anyone be happy about that? Sure, Toyota will be, but I won't be. So we have to live with their shortcomings, or just refuse to buy what they're selling. What they're selling is still better than the competition though, at least for now.

So we have to live with their shortcomings, or just refuse to buy what they're selling.
Well, the whole issue is that what they're selling is not what they're delivering.

Here are 3 different ways Tesla could have been describing the parking function on their vehicles for the last year:
'Teslas have no parking sensors.'
'Tesla's have no parking sensors but at some point in the future we hope to implement them via software update'
'Tesla Vision Park Assist is Coming Soon!' (knowing full well that it will be AT LEAST a year (and counting) until it is implemented properly)

1 and 2 are honest. 3 is a lie, and that's the one they chose to go for.

What they're selling is still better than the competition though, at least for now.
Indeed it is, and if I had to buy a car again now it would be another Tesla, because even with degraded parking functionality it's a fantastic vehicle. But that's not the same thing as saying lying is OK. Taking your argument to its extreme, it would be OK for any company to say whatever they like as long as they were contributing some good to the world in some way.. that's clearly nonsense.

Taking your argument to its extreme, it would be OK for any company to say whatever they like as long as they were contributing some good to the world in some way.. that's clearly nonsense.

Good point.

But that's not the same thing as saying lying is OK.

No, lying is never okay.

BUT... "soon" is also a subjective term. I disagree that it's lying, but I also think it will never be as good as USS.

Well, the whole issue is that what they're selling is not what they're delivering.

I definitely agree with you that Tesla and especially Elon don't always make good on promises.

Reactions: Mullermn
On 6/23/23, Tesla's Elon Musk tweeted, "Actually smart auto wiper software releases in about 3 weeks. Our patented, 'Actually Smart Summon (ASS)' is probably a month or two after that."

I bought my M3P in June, and my SA assured me that summon and autopark would be "available any day now".... I'm frustrated by this because I have a very tight garage space for two cars, and was hoping I could use Summon on my Tesla to help this. Ie., get in/out of car outside of garage, then use Summon the rest of the way.

Does anyone know if ASS is happening, like ever????
like, never

I don’t think the cars without ultrasonics will get ASS or any other parking features that differentiate significantly from what we currently have.

Musk mucked up with going USS-less, and they’re going to be adding in the front cameras to all new US HW4 vehicles once cybertruck is released. There’s no way around the 1 meter blind in FRONT of the vehicles. This front camera is needed for any parking stuff, park for what’s promised in FSD.

These cameras aren’t in international variants recently introduced because they are so far behind FSD outside the US that they figured they’re not needed in the foreseeable feature. Another “cost cutting” benefit to them anyways.

Learned my lesson with EAP on last vehicle, and I’m only gonna purchase the vehicle and options for what it has now. Like others have said, they are still good cars for the money (and the only practical EV stateside). Ain’t getting musked again.

And here I am thinking Actually Smart Summon has never been anything but another juvenile joke from the muskrat designed to get us to talk here about whether we'll ever get any ASS. Given that's the same guy who responds to most questions with a poop emoji, pretty sure I'm right.

Reactions: E90alex
Ain’t getting musked again.

Musk me once, shame on you. Musk me twice... oh the software update just removed my radar. Wait, FSD isn't really going to be ready by the end of the year? Park assist still isn't working well without USS? Why are my wipers going when it's sunny outside? Hmm, this 20 mile drive took 30 "miles" off my battery.

Musk me the 17th time, shame on Elon... LOL.

Seriously though, I appreciate what Elon and all the hard working engineers (and others) at Tesla have done.

I'll laugh and joke about these things, but some of them really are unfortunate for such a nice vehicle. At the end of the day though, there's no other car I'd rather drive than my Model 3.

Reactions: jecsun and JB47394
Musk me once, shame on you. Musk me twice... oh the software update just removed my radar. Wait, FSD isn't really going to be ready by the end of the year? Park assist still isn't working well without USS? Why are my wipers going when it's sunny outside? Hmm, this 20 mile drive took 30 "miles" off my battery.

Musk me the 17th time, shame on Elon... LOL.

Seriously though, I appreciate what Elon and all the hard working engineers (and others) at Tesla have done.

I'll laugh and joke about these things, but some of them really are unfortunate for such a nice vehicle. At the end of the day though, there's no other car I'd rather drive than my Model 3.

I can beat that - why are my wipers going when it is sunny outside, I'm parked and the car is in Camp mode?

I was musked when I bought the car. I actually thought I was buying a car, not buying access to drive the car I paid for, maintain, and insure but that is missing features I paid for and, in fact, has had features I paid for removed from the car. Access that can be removed at any time if Tesla chooses to brick my car (or if they brick it accidentally with an update.)

I will not be musked again.

Nor will anyone else who asks me about what I think about my car. They will get a reply that includes the top 10 - 20 reasons I hate it. They may not care and may choose to buy a Tesla. That is their choice but they will not be musked because they will be aware of the pitfalls of buying a Tesla and aware that features included with the car may not ever actually be shipped.

I can beat that - why are my wipers going when it is sunny outside, I'm parked and the car is in Camp mode?

You sure that's not the mosquito deflection feature of Camp Mode?

Nor will anyone else who asks me about what I think about my car. They will get a reply that includes the top 10 - 20 reasons I hate it. They may not care and may choose to buy a Tesla.

Wow, you are part of a very small minority. Not that I have issues with minorites, but Tesla has a very large number of loyal owners because despite the known flaws, the cars are just great.

Access that can be removed at any time if Tesla chooses to brick my car (or if they brick it accidentally with an update.)

This hasn't actually happened to you though, it's just anger speaking, right?

Reactions: JB47394

When I purchased mine it was supposed to have the USS. I was told that Tesla vision would be fully active in the "Weeks ahead" and that if I didn't proceed with my purchase I would loose my deposit. Here I am almost a year later and it still doesn't work. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is. Can't wait until I've paid enough off.

When I purchased mine it was supposed to have the USS. I was told that Tesla vision would be fully active in the "Weeks ahead" and that if I didn't proceed with my purchase I would loose my deposit. Here I am almost a year later and it still doesn't work. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is. Can't wait until I've paid enough off.

REALLY?!? Over USS??

I must be driving a different vehicle than you folks. Why is mine so much fine to drive and you people can't wait to get out of yours over a parking assist sensor?

I'm starting to suspect this is a PEBKAC.