Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actually Smart Summon (ASS) - Will it ever happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 6/23/23, Tesla's Elon Musk tweeted, "Actually smart auto wiper software releases in about 3 weeks. Our patented, 'Actually Smart Summon (ASS)' is probably a month or two after that."

I bought my M3P in June, and my SA assured me that summon and autopark would be "available any day now".... I'm frustrated by this because I have a very tight garage space for two cars, and was hoping I could use Summon on my Tesla to help this. Ie., get in/out of car outside of garage, then use Summon the rest of the way.

Does anyone know if ASS is happening, like ever????

I always change Elon's predictions to the next larger time units. So, you should read Elon's schedule as new wiper software in about three weeks months with ASS following a couple months years afterward. Works every time.

So, wiper improvements may be coming out very soon. But don't hold your breath waiting on ASS. Likely not until after V12 FSD is released. Or V14.

I bought my M3P in June, and my SA assured me that summon and autopark would be "available any day now".... I'm frustrated by this because I have a very tight garage space for two cars, and was hoping I could use Summon on my Tesla to help this. Ie., get in/out of car outside of garage, then use Summon the rest of the way.

Does anyone know if ASS is happening, like ever????
I'm confused.
I have a Model 3 with EAP and a Model Y with FSDb.
I use summon every day with my cars to get them in and out of the garage.

Do you not have EAP or FSD? If so, that probably explains why you don't have summon. My wife's 2023 does not have summon and I assume it's because she does not have EAP or FSD.

Or do you have EAP or FSD, but have HW 4.0? I have a new MYP incoming with what I assume will be HW 4.0 I'll be pissed if I can't use summon to get the car in and out of my garage when it's delivered.

Please clarify.

-Paul

I'm confused.
I have a Model 3 with EAP and a Model Y with FSDb.
I use summon every day with my cars to get them in and out of the garage.

Do you not have EAP or FSD? If so, that probably explains why you don't have summon. My wife's 2023 does not have summon and I assume it's because she does not have EAP or FSD.

Or do you have EAP or FSD, but have HW 4.0? I have a new MYP incoming with what I assume will be HW 4.0 I'll be pissed if I can't use summon to get the car in and out of my garage when it's delivered.

Please clarify.

-Paul
You must have a vehicle with ultrasonics.

Yeh, damn silly idea to remove the hardware to support the existing solution, before new software is available.

This is a self-inflicted wound for Tesla.
Instead of silly I would call it aragonite and obtuse in assuming you can simply rewrite the software "2 weeks" after you remove the hardware. Tesla is great but one of the BIGGEST weaknesses is trying to use software and standard cameras to solve complex problems that were solved DECADES ago by simple hardware add ons like rain and bright light sensors.

Instead of silly I would call it aragonite and obtuse in assuming you can simply rewrite the software "2 weeks" after you remove the hardware. Tesla is great but one of the BIGGEST weaknesses is trying to use software and standard cameras to solve complex problems that were solved DECADES ago by simple hardware add ons like rain and bright light sensors.
Elon has a way of doing things that has given us stuff that nobody else thought possible because it required aragonite and obtuseness. So we get the bad with the good. Nobody's perfect. I'm just glad that his flaws are clearly on display.

C'mon, Elon. Hold it together for another few years. Just another few years.

No, ASS probably won’t happen. The odds are about the same as Elon Musk ever moving to Texas and taking up with the MAGAss.
I disgree.

ASS will happen.

Granted the timeline is never right, they still actually do what they say they will.

In fact they just updated the Tesla Vision USS page and added Park Assist as available and still say the other 3 missing features are coming. If they were never coming, they would have changed this page when they did the update. The more wrong info for longer time, the worse it would be if they dont do it... I think they will eventually.

True.... but self driving has also been solved with simpler methods... look at Blue Cruise and Super Cruise... A lot of the things in teslas were already working in other cars. Why change to a scree, when we can used the always working tried and true buttons for climate etc.

You need to push things forward which many times means making changes nobody has. Thats the backbone of Apple and Tesla. I do think it shouldn't be done at the cost of upsetting people that dont have a feature or two but thats how they work. I dont agree with the weird timeline of taking awqay without having replacement available... but they do plenty of things right and amazing so I let them slide sometimes.

I disgree.

ASS will happen.

Granted the timeline is never right, they still actually do what they say they will.

In fact they just updated the Tesla Vision USS page and added Park Assist as available and still say the other 3 missing features are coming. If they were never coming, they would have changed this page when they did the update. The more wrong info for longer time, the worse it would be if they dont do it... I think they will eventually.
Sorry, what is the URL for the Tesla Vision USS page you cited? Thanks!

Also, to add a little levity, I'll suggest that every time Musk posts to Twitter, ASS happens. 😏

• Funny
Reactions: ionsphere
“Smart Summon” was promised back before 2016, before Model X. Since then USS cars had fair back and forth and parking abilities and really stupid Actually Smart Summon. Now all hardware—that can run it—waits for V12 and that version of Summon. It’ll be MENSA Summon, just you wait.

Reactions: Dracaris