Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Smart Summon is only intended for use in private parking lots and driveways". It looked to me like it was being used in a public lot. Maybe I misunderstand the location? and agree, it is not ready from prime time.
It is a private parking lot owned by a private compony that is open to use. Only parking lots owned by a government agency are public. Almost all parking lots are on private property. Common examples of a public parking lots are most (but not all) DMV's or parking lots at a state park.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I used it 4 times yesterday in normal everyday parking lots and had it succeed once.

I've noticed if you receive notification popups it stops the car, and I receive a lot of them through Google maps when close to the car, predicting where I wanna go. Need to disable and test again.
yea, that about mimics our success rate. Frankly, I don't trust any new features like this until I test it, so the wife and I tried an experiment. We went to 5 different sparsely populated parking lots and tried it. I sat in the car while the wife summoned it from another location. This way I could hit the brake manually if I needed or start driving if needed. 4 times out of time it failed. Bottom line, we are not going to use it and not trust it until there are more improvements.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
looks like today's new update fixed it.

2019.32.11 did come out quickly. It’s an example of the way I expect the FSD neural net to improve. With many people trying summon then there is more data, more edge cases, to analyze and update/improve the FSD neural net. I plan to be extremely careful of version 10 for three or four months, and three or four updates. But then it’s likely it will work as expected.

It’s the nature of this new technology, data is key.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
It is a private parking lot owned by a private compony that is open to use. Only parking lots owned by a government agency are public. Almost all parking lots are on private property. Common examples of a public parking lots are most (but not all) DMV's or parking lots at a state park.
Thanks for the note. Looks like some good research. I'm fairly familiar with the definition, but I don't think most people are. Actually as a small correction.... there are some government agency parking lots that are not public.

Last edited:
Reactions: M109Rider
Costco parking lot. Did a lot better than I thought it would, but clearly confused another driver.

Smart Summon - navigating busy Costco parking lot : teslamotors
Can some more info be supplied about this "experiment"? It would help me to better understand if I knew what method was used to move the car. Am I wrongly assuming this was a test in a busy lot (not something I would do with my $130K car) and not a real need to have the car come to the person? It appears the car is being followed by the driver and no other person involved? It that wrong? So it is hard to understand what actually transpired.

As a side note, I find it more entertaining that no one walking by the car realized no one was in it :D Goes to show you how inattentive people are these days.

Can some more info be supplied about this "experiment"? It would help me to better understand if I knew what method was used to move the car. Am I wrongly assuming this was a test in a busy lot (not something I would do with my $130K car) and not a real need to have the car come to the person? It appears the car is being followed by the driver and no other person involved? It that wrong? So it is hard to understand what actually transpired.

As a side note, I find it more entertaining that no one walking by the car realized no one was in it :D Goes to show you how inattentive people are these days.

you can see more comments from the owner on the twitter post. Joseph Schager on Twitter

• Helpful
you can see more comments from the owner on the twitter post. Joseph Schager on Twitter
thanks that helps a lot. And as I expected, more of an experiment that a real need. I am amazed at how many people want to experiment with an expensive car in a busy environment or show off to friends rather than actually use it when they really need it. I'm wondering how long it will be until we see a personal injury law suit of someone injured while a Tesla owner is playing with their car.

thanks that helps a lot. And as I expected, more of an experiment that a real need. I am amazed at how many people want to experiment with an expensive car in a busy environment or show off to friends rather than actually use it when they really need it. I'm wondering how long it will be until we see a personal injury law suit of someone injured while a Tesla owner is playing with their car.

Oh, don’t worry. Lawsuits will come when people see easy money. Fortunately most of us have recorded video to show what really happens.

I can see a use for it during rainy weather. I tried it at a hotel parking lot and pulled it under the overhang by the lobby. Worked pretty well but realized I need to stand by the edge of the overhang on the same side as where the car will be coming from. Otherwise it will park outside of the overhang.

Last year, I would have loved this option at the hotel when I had to run out to the car when it was pouring out and I didn’t have an umbrella.

Live a little. Have some fun with ssome new tech. It’s a work in progress. Why do so many not understand that tech like this has to start somewhere.
We would have no tech, if no one wanted to experiment and have some fun.
You can always stop the car anytime if you get scared. :)

Personal injuries will only occur if the operator is not paying attention. Just like autopilot.

Live a little. Have some fun with ssome new tech. It’s a work in progress. Why do so many not understand that tech like this has to start somewhere.
We would have no tech, if no one wanted to experiment and have some fun.
You can always stop the car anytime if you get scared. :)

Personal injuries will only occur if the operator is not paying attention. Just like autopilot.
Edit: I love that you have guts and confidence and willing to experiment. I guess you don't know I am a tech entrepreneur and I work on LOTS of tech products like this :D That is why it is not prime time for me. No need to risk a mode I don't trust. It's probably because most of my career design work has been in the medical equipment field where I have to make absolutely sure nothing is going to fail when the equipment is on a patient. Fortunately it never did. Thus, not going to trust a 5,000 pound hunk of metal in a crowded parking lot. You folks go ahead and have lots of fun with it and test it. I'll watch and enjoy. But yes, I certainly agree with the comment that it has to start somewhere. I was just hoping it would be more refined before making it public. My wife (30 years in personal injury) disagrees and says that injuries do occur even when the operator is paying attention. She made a living off such companies / people and their insurance companies. Argue with her :D I stopped years ago.

Last edited:
Here's another good one. Summon getting very confused:

A good one Deb. It's people like this that would drive me nuts. No consideration for the person in the truck patiently waiting for the car to do its thing. And the owner is probably just 50 feet away from the car. Looks like a case where he just wants to show off and doesn't really need to have the car come to him. Come on folks. Use it where it is really needed and stop being a Peacock. It's things like this that makes other car owners begin to hate Tesla drivers.

Reactions: M109Rider
Looks like a case where he just wants to show off and doesn't really need to have the car come to him. Come on folks. Use it where it is really needed and stop being a Peacock.
Not all instance of "let's see if it works in the wild" are just flaunting your Tesla. Once you graduate from driveways and empty K-Mart parking lots, you have to try it for real somewhere and that will be something you're going to watch like a hawk. That said, after the first time the car went back out of the lane, that's the time to abort and wave that patient truck driver through.

Not all instance of "let's see if it works in the wild" are just flaunting your Tesla. Once you graduate from driveways and empty K-Mart parking lots, you have to try it for real somewhere and that will be something you're going to watch like a hawk. That said, after the first time the car went back out of the lane, that's the time to abort and wave that patient truck driver through.
Amen on all that. I certainly don't want to imply that everyone wants to flaunt their car, but many do. In this case, he could just walk to the car and wait for another time when he really needs the feature. :) I do see the value of smart summon for many people and situations. After 60 years of walking to my car, I still feel fine to continue doing it until I am no longer able. I need the exercise anyway. Hopefully by that time, I will have more confidence in summon to come get me.

I'm a huge fan of Smart Summon (and all the other v10 features), but as we've seen (and already knew) it does have its issues. Here's a test yesterday that could have ended in a disaster. Or who knows, maybe the car would have stopped, but I wasn't willing to chance it.

Unfortunately I only have the Blackvue footage because my buddy who was supposed to be filming had it in picture mode. o_O

We tried it on the other side of the median first and it worked really well. It was my buddy's brilliant idea to try and stump the car by standing on the parking side of the median. Go figure.

I tried this again today to see if it would route through the median. When it first showed the route, it went straight through the median. But about a second later it changed the route and went on the near side of the opening. SS completed perfectly. I guess the car did some learnin' overnight.

• Helpful