Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon: slow-mo driving in parking lots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, the front camera can identify the curbs when farther and in view, and the system will retain it in the internal map. Unlike cars and people, the curbs should remain in place. I think this is called Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), which my Neato vaccum cleaner also does.

Yes, that is probably something they will have to do. A nose camera would help a lot though.

Yes, that is probably something they will have to do. A nose camera would help a lot though.

The argument may be that you don't need bumper cameras to get around the parking lot. Two eyes do well enough.

But besides my X, my other car has parking cameras all over the damn thing and it is defiantly better than my two eyes. Ive become so deponent on them that when driving the X I find parking a little more of a guessing game because I cant see the lane lines or directly in front of the bumper.

The argument may be that you don't need bumper cameras to get around the parking lot. Two eyes do well enough.

Oh certainly. Then again human brain has more situational awareness than machine learning yet does so we remember where that curb was. It might be awhile before machine matches that reliabily. We can also get out of the car in a tricky bit and look around. And if we do hit something, we’ve got only ourselves to blame... are we so forgiving when a machine makes the same mistake?

I’m not saying Tesla can’t work around this, I’m just saying it is interesting to see how and how well they do. MobilEye has a similar 8 camera setup in their self-driving prototype for driving but it also adds four downwards facing parking cameras which do seem useful for scenarios such as this.

Any idea if it will hug the right side of 2-way parking lot aisle so that vehicles coming in the opposite direction can get past it? And/or will it be smart enough to steer out of the way further to the side of an aisle when that situation arises?

Or will it just drive down the center of an aisle and then get confused and come to a complete stop when a car approaches from the other direction, and then end up blocking all traffic until you run out to it looking like an idiot/asshole and jump in the car to move it out of everyone’s way?

Reactions: 1375mlm
Fingers crossed that they’re just making sure directional movement is correct, and can speed it up to at least 5 mph when it hits fleet-wide S & X rollout.

At that speed, you’ll probably be pissing so many drivers off that the last place you want the car to head toward is yourself.
LOL.. I cant imagine doing this at a mall.. I can hear all the horns honking.. Another useless release.

Another video of enhanced summon backing out of a driveway and then slowly driving to the side of the owner. Pretty cool, but of course very slow. I’m hoping verygreen gets the update soon and can document what the sensors and cameras are keeping track of during summon (if he can, I have no idea if the process would be the same as when he gets the info from AP).

Edit: start the video at around the 48 second mark.

• Love
Reactions: Birdman325
I'm sure @wk057 can develop the same Enhanced Summon on his (wife's) AP1 car that we're seeing on these videos!

(ex-wife...! :p)

I toyed around with a similar idea a while back (like over a year ago), basically making the car an RC car. I got low speed stuff working fine without any major hardware mods, but I wasn't able to achieve my goal of being able to launch it with no driver without pretty extensive hardware mods. (Oh, that's happening this season, btw, if I find the time to get do a track.)

I tweaked the heck out of summon though, and it'll drive forever at like 1 MPH, avoiding things with the cam, radar, and ultrasonics. I made it so I can "nudge" the car in a particular direction with my custom app interface, and set a GPS target, but it's not super smart on the pathfinding side... it's just like, "oh, it's that direction... wait there's something there, nevermind." It works okay I suppose. Not super useful, just like this new Tesla party trick, er, enhanced summon... and I never actually use it for anything other than to freak people out.

Someone needs to test it in heavy rain, i.e. the real use case for this.

Have to keep in mind that the ultrasonics are essentially useless in heavy rain. Their effective detection distance gets dropped to, well, nothing. They "see" complete noise in anything more than a drizzle. The useful detection distance closes in on the sensor as the rain picks up, and its effective detection distance becomes far less than human-capable visibility. They also can't "operate at all speeds" effectively, (as originally claimed) just due to basic physics (the speed of sound limitation combined with normal wind noise error).

Tesla even used to have a related error message for when the ultrasonics were useless, related to side collision avoidance being unavailable because of it... which just disappeared years ago when people started asking questions about it (no actual fix, it just doesn't tell you that it may not be working anymore).

<rant>

I'll say it again... I love Tesla's products and what they can actually do. I absolutely loathe the company, how its run, and the outright shadiness of many of their business practices. So many marketing stunts, bait and switch, outright lies, etc. People just let them get away with it, though, so they keep doing it. It's ridiculous, because the cars are awesome and can essentially sell themselves without all of the BS they pull to push sales for whatever reason. There wasn't much to question until the Dual Motor + Autopilot announcement back in October 2014. Since then, it's just been completely downhill on the integrity side of things with Tesla.

No, the P85D didn't have 691 horsepower. No, it didn't do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (starting the clock after 1-ft of movement is more like 8-60... and made this spec method change without noting it). No, the AWD P85D was not more efficient than the RWD P85 (although eventually they got the highway numbers pretty close by killing the rear motor entirely during highway use, basically making it FWD.. so...). No, Tesla never made autopilot (any version) do a bunch of things promised at the original announcement (keep in mind, this was back when they were starting to sell AP1... sounds a bit like enhanced summon that AP1 will never actually get).

Could definitely go on, but...

</rant>

TL;DR; - Love the car, hate the company.

I think this is a new video of Advanced Summon. The car can be summoned backwards and can follow an owner:

And another video of the car successfully pulling out of a parking space and coming to the front of a restaurant:

Looks like Advanced Summon has already improved quite a bit since the first demo we saw. I am impressed.

Last edited:
I think this is a new video of Advanced Summon. The car can be summoned backwards and can follow an owner:

And another video of the car successfully pulling out of a parking space and coming to the front of a restaurant:

Looks like Advanced Summon has already improved quite a bit since the first demo we saw. I am impressed.

You don't actually know whether or not it improved because all these videos are anecdotal at best.

You don't actually know whether or not it improved because all these videos are anecdotal at best.

There are some areas we know in fact that it's improved.

Like being able to go backwards for quite a ways as that reportedly was listed in the release notes, and then demonstrated in one of the videos.

Or improvements in the top speed that have been reported. Where they said it increased by 1mph.

For me personally what concerned me the most was the amount of hesitation/pausing. I can get an idea from the videos of whether that improves or not. Assuming the human is consistent at holding down the button of course.

Reactions: PaulJohn
TL;DR; - Love the car, hate the company.

Is it just me or is this a very common sentiment amongst those who have followed Tesla for a long time now?

Right as we speak even more shadiness going on at Tesla about the Model 3 SR (see electrek.co). For some reason that fateful autumn day back in 2014 Tesla decided to post some P85D HP figures out of thin air and decide this is what we’ll be from now on.