Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon: slow-mo driving in parking lots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if these were already posted somewhere. First videos I’ve seen of Enhanced Summon. (Thanks to @TheTeslaShow for sharing.)

To quote @TheTeslaShow:

“Seems only useful for your own house and or empty late night lots or super low traffic office lots. But with iteration and more use Tesla can certainly crank up the speed.”
Maybe useful if it’s raining and you don’t want to get wet?

Last edited:
Maybe they're using Gary the Snail to calibrate Enhanced Summon?

elon-musk-boring-company-gary-snail.jpg

I think an interesting question is how fast can they make it especially going forward given that it lacks bumper-level camera views around the front and ultrasonics are notoriously noisy and prone to missing certain types of obstacles.

How well and fast can it navigate around curbs for instance without constantly seeing them in the forward third of the car?

Reactions: 1375mlm
I think an interesting question is how fast can they make it especially going forward given that it lacks bumper-level camera views around the front and ultrasonics are notoriously noisy and prone to missing certain types of obstacles.

How well and fast can it navigate around curbs for instance without constantly seeing them in the forward third of the car?

That’s where the B-pillar cams come into play ;)

Frankly anyone who doesn't expect major issues with summon in parking lots is kidding themselves since an estimated 20% of all accidents happen in parking lots. The media is going to have a field day reporting on this and Tesla's reputation is going to take a hit.
Tesla is guaranteed to get bad publicity over this and with the continuing delays in rolling out enhanced Summon I suspect Tesla is regretting over hyping it's capabilities.

There making a similar mistake in stating the initial rollout of FSD features will support city driving. Just change "city" to secondary roads and Tesla has appropriately lowered expectations plus it's far more doable. Adding FSD support for driving on relatively simple secondary roads would be a much more reasonable goal then city streets. How about under promise and over deliver for a change since city driving in Boston is not anything I will try initially but using FSD on secondary roads absolutely.
Parking Lot Safety
AAA study: Pedestrian-parking lot accidents on the rise

Last edited:

Hopefully, the front camera can identify the curbs when farther and in view, and the system will retain it in the internal map. Unlike cars and people, the curbs should remain in place. I think this is called Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), which my Neato vaccum cleaner also does.

I wouldn't be surprised if HW3 based Enhanced Summon can increase the speed way over this, and HW2.5 doesn't go much faster.