Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I think it’s pretty clear that all who purchased FSD will be lumped into that statement.

To me it reads as those originally invited by email to the early access program (with the NDA) and now all who have purchased the FSD option thus far.

In that case ”making it right” for AP2 owners and other early FSD buyers would just turn into a big giant demand lever for the current FSD pack. Get Early Access by buying FSD...

I still hold out hope you are not right and Elon was simply being too vague here.

What I find really weird is that Tesla doesn’t apply “common sense” logic to what the UI presents to the user.

It seems that the UI simply displays whatever the NN identifies above some thresholds. And that multiple times per second, giving us these freaky visualizations. The car’s sometimes erratic behavior (phantom braking, lane change aborts, lane misidentifications, inability to detect stationary objects) suggests that the NN output isn’t analyzed and sanity checked well or at all.

Then we have these videos on YouTube that allegedly show what the car really sees with lots of internal data overlays, which FSD fans use as a killer argument that it is working just fine.

I would love to hear from one of the decision makers at Tesla why they keep releasing software that has no intelligence about what it actually displays. Please, Tesla engineers, is it really that difficult for you to program your AP so that objects don’t teleport themselves? You know that real objects don’t do that. How anyone can think this is acceptable in 2019 is puzzling,

Totally agree. That "common sense" you refer to is called biases and hysteresis in the programming world. E.g., chances are if a car is sitting next to you at an intersection and you are going 0 mph, the car next to you is facing the same direction you are. Therefore bias the neural networks outcome for direction of adjacent cars towards parallel to the cars direction. Therefore, if the NN is saying 73% chance it's parallel and 76% chance it's 45 degrees off to the right, a 15% bias on parallel would result in 88% chance of parallel vs. 76% 45 degrees. Similarly, hysteresis prevents the dancing back in forth. E.g., only change the direction of the car from the currently displayed direction to a new direction when the probability of the new direction from the NN exceeds the probability of the currently displayed direction by 5% consistently for 300 ms. Both of these are well known methods in the display of real-time data, and could have easily been incorporated in the traffic display of the car without affecting AutoPilot functionality at all.

Elon confirmed on Twitter that Smart Summon will work on AP2+ cars.
Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@makingnocchi
“Smart” Summon will work on all v2.0+ hardware in wide release
1:47 PM · Sep 18, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
Elon Musk on Twitter

ha I know it likely includes AP2c but I’ve always been a little confused with the term AP2+. Does that mean 2.5 and 3? Or inclusive of AP2? If I remember right he used similar verbiage for Sentry mode and still waiting on that for those folks.

But thanks for the update!

Reactions: am_dmd
ha I know it likely includes AP2c but I’ve always been a little confused with the term AP2+. Does that mean 2.5 and 3? Or inclusive of AP2? If I remember right he used similar verbiage for Sentry mode and still waiting on that for those folks.

But thanks for the update!

My understanding is that AP2+ means AP2 and above, so it includes AP2, AP2.5 and AP3.

V10 Early Release Notes for Smart Summon:

EEwmLyiU4AAPKVF

EEwmLyiUwAAQ96C

Tesletter on Twitter

V10 Early Release Notes for Smart Summon:

EEwmLyiU4AAPKVF

EEwmLyiUwAAQ96C

Tesletter on Twitter
213 feet max?! So much for it coming to you in a Costco or other “real world” parking lot - unless you happen to be parked in a handicapped spot. I will file this one in the “parlor tricks and gimmicks” bucket now. Oh well...

Edit: Okay, if the the public release has the same limitation, who still believes Tesla will hike the price of FSD because of it? Not I.

Last edited:
213 feet max?! So much for it coming to you in a Costco or other “real world” parking lot - unless you happen to be parked in a handicapped spot. I will file this one in the “parlor tricks and gimmicks” bucket now. Oh well...

Edit: Okay, if the the public release has the same limitation, who still believes Tesla will hike the price of FSD because of it? Not I.

Range and ability will be released incrementally. No need to get hyped up now. For now, you are right, could just be a parlor trick.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Range and ability will be released incrementally. No need to get hyped up now. For now, you are right, could just be a parlor trick.

If we use Tesla history as a guide, once released gimmicks don’t get improved any time soon. Take all of the released “Beta” items, for example. How about regular Summon? No improvements, but we regularly get fed new games and gimmicks. Cuphead anyone?

If wide-spread release is limited to 213 feet, it’s not usable, so why release it at all until it’s usable? Could be a need to throw meat, any meat to the angry FSD early adopters - even if said meat is rancid.

1496A7DB-8621-4C66-ADDE-6FFAB61F15B6.gif

Last edited:
If we use Tesla history as a guide, once released gimmicks don’t get improved any time soon. Take all of the released “Beta” items, for example. How about regular Summon? No improvements, but we regularly get fed new games and gimmicks. Cuphead anyone?

If wide-spread release is limited to 213 feet, it’s not usable, so why release it at all until it’s usable? Could be a need to throw meat, any meat to the angry FSD early adopters - even if said meat is rancid.

View attachment 456558

Not sure what additional features to regular summon you were expecting.

In earlier versions it was only 150 feet. So it's already 63 feet more.

First look at Tesla's updated Enhanced Summon in action

I do wonder what the ultimate limit will be as for the foreseeable future it requires human oversight. I can't imagine summoning from how far I typically park away because I can't visually see my car.

In earlier versions it was only 150 feet. So it's already 63 feet more.

First look at Tesla's updated Enhanced Summon in action

I do wonder what the ultimate limit will be as for the foreseeable future it requires human oversight. I can't imagine summoning from how far I typically park away because I can't visually see my car.
I’m not sure either, but think I can see more than 200 feet away.... Time will tell on this one, and a lot of time has passed already for many.