Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few new videos posted on Youtube from an Early Access Program owner for v2019.28.3.11

• New traffic Visualizations
• Displays Pickup Trucks
• Rotating 360 visualization
• Updated lane change animation to show your vehicle path

Enhanced Summon from inside the vehicle

It’s a nice touch how around second 30 the SUV to the left disappeared for a while only to teleport back into the lane as a pickup truck.

And how at second 37 the vehicle in the lane that EAP wants to change to disappears suddenly and then reappears as a red obstacle.

How can that even pass Tesla’s internal QC?

So they still don’t have a reasonable 3D model of the world but apparently just a series of snapshots of what the NN spits out without any layer above which checks if the data makes sense?

I guess we can still expect T2 chasing our Tesla at 50mph and when it’s parked in the garage it’ll think there’s an 18 wheeler instead of a fridge and a person instead of a chair.

I’m starting to wonder if this will ever not suck.

• Disagree
Reactions: 82bert
I guess we can still expect T2 chasing our Tesla at 50mph

To be clear, that person was a bike rack. I agree that probably it should not be identified as a person. But, you know...neural nets...who really knows how they work?

I’m starting to wonder if this will ever not suck.

My guess is that neural nets will not be able to handle the dynamic driving task for a good 10 years or so (if ever). The human brain is really good. Neural nets seem to be ok at object recognition. Not sure what else they are good at. They seem limited as compared to a human brain. We'll see!

There may be some new research hotness that comes out and solves all the problems.

To be clear, that person was a bike rack. I agree that probably it should not be identified as a person. But, you know...neural nets...who really knows how they work?

My guess is that neural nets will not be able to handle the dynamic driving task for a good 10 years or so (if ever). The human brain is really good. Neural nets seem to be ok at object recognition. Not sure what else they are good at. They seem limited as compared to a human brain. We'll see!

There may be some new research hotness that comes out and solves all the problems.

What I find really weird is that Tesla doesn’t apply “common sense” logic to what the UI presents to the user.

It seems that the UI simply displays whatever the NN identifies above some thresholds. And that multiple times per second, giving us these freaky visualizations. The car’s sometimes erratic behavior (phantom braking, lane change aborts, lane misidentifications, inability to detect stationary objects) suggests that the NN output isn’t analyzed and sanity checked well or at all.

Then we have these videos on YouTube that allegedly show what the car really sees with lots of internal data overlays, which FSD fans use as a killer argument that it is working just fine.

I would love to hear from one of the decision makers at Tesla why they keep releasing software that has no intelligence about what it actually displays. Please, Tesla engineers, is it really that difficult for you to program your AP so that objects don’t teleport themselves? You know that real objects don’t do that. How anyone can think this is acceptable in 2019 is puzzling,

Reactions: arghx7
I referred to FSD/Enhanced Summon. Did Tesla sell the Model 3 for real money in 2010 like they sell FSD in 2019?
Yes - that is what he sold investors on.

He also got $40k from people for signature S that there was no assurance of delivery.

ps : I've had some type of deposit with Tesla starting with S nearly 10 years back. I moved that to X and then to 3 (which I finally bought) and after Y reveal have a deposit on Y too. FSD is just another deposit. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Honestly, despite the lack luster performance of enhanced summon, I will gladly click the FSD box for $6k. I’d rather pay $6k for a system better than my current vehicle, and give up the $4,000 I spent on the Bowers & Wilkins sound in said vehicle. My lengthy test drive in a HW3 MX sold me buying one of these things.

Reactions: 82bert and EVNow
upload_2019-9-14_19-23-6.png

Interesting to see if it only goes to those who paid for FSD early at the higher price. ”all who bought FSD” is not aligned with the promise, but then Twitter is compact and it may be just that.
I don’t know what “including” means in that sentence. Let alone whether it is aligned with the promise or not ;)

Would be a pleasant surprise if I do get it, though.

I don’t know what “including” means in that sentence. Let alone whether it is aligned with the promise or not ;)

Would be a pleasant surprise if I do get it, though.

@EVNow I suppose you mean ”interesting”?

My point was to direct attention to the question will Tesla attempt to honor the promise of giving Early Access to those who paid for old FSD prior to its price-cuts — the tweet was worded to suggest they might give it to all FSD buyers, which would be completely different as the idea was to give a bit back to those who paid more.

I am still hoping Tesla does the right thing here, it may have just been an overly compact tweet. I hope they also do the right thing with AP2 priority for FSD computer retrofits. Mind you, I don’t care about my car in particular getting it early — majority of AP2 would mean making a genuine effort and that would be enough in my books.

Reactions: am_dmd
@EVNow I suppose you mean ”interesting”?

My point was to direct attention to the question will Tesla attempt to honor the promise of giving Early Access to those who paid for old FSD prior to its price-cuts — the tweet was worded to suggest they might give it to all FSD buyers, which would be completely different as the idea was to give a bit back to those who paid more.

I am still hoping Tesla does the right thing here, it may have just been an overly compact tweet. I hope they also do the right thing with AP2 priority for FSD computer retrofits. Mind you, I don’t care about my car in particular getting it early — majority of AP2 would mean making a genuine effort and that would be enough in my books.

Unfortunately I think it’s pretty clear that all who purchased FSD will be lumped into that statement.

To me it reads as those originally invited by email to the early access program (with the NDA) and now all who have purchased the FSD option thus far.

Looks like V10 is going out to EAP, and on twitter some people who had purchased FSD, not prior EAP owners. Not sure how wide release is but at least a few people already getting it. Don’t see any mention of enhanced summon in the release notes though.