Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Enterprise Tesla rentals when getting service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the loaners I have used were Teslas. However, on one occasion I got a Ford Fusion Hybrid rental car and it really made me appreciate the Tesla.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid was an absolute piece of ##$$%^&.

Buddy of mine wound up buying one of those because he got a stupid good deal (end of year sale, family/friend discount, etc). It gets good gas mileage and they don't look bad, but they are absolutely gutless and sound like a dying bovine when the go pedal is pressed.

I got one of those enterprise S70 when I took my car in a few weeks back. The car itself was pretty good, however, I went on the carpool lane (LA Metro Express Lane) and my carpool transponder didn't read and I got hit with a $10 fine from Enterprise and a $25 penalty + toll from Metro Express Lane. Still trying to figure out how to deal with the penalty and toll, emailing Metro Express Lane and got a canned response asking me to add the rental car to my account and pay the toll. Something to be aware of when you got the Enterprise Tesla loaner.

I actually was a manager of Enterprise Rent A Car until recently. The Tesla is part of the Exotic Division of Enterprise and they aren't everywhere. The one here in Ontario,CA has plenty of Teslas, but no agreement that they will be the loaner car. It's up to Tesla as a company to decide what they want and if they give the autonomy to the dealership to choose rental or not. Normal rental for Enterprise (ICE) is usually 30-40/day for the dealership, while a Tesla from Exotics is probably 150-250/day(just depends if its a large deal or a once or twice a month thing and ERAC gives them high rates.

When I was at the Logan airport in Boston, I noticed that Enterprise had a Tesla 75D for rent. They quoted me $300 a day, and it doesn't even have the software option for Autopilot. I literally laughed and walked away, saying I'm fine with my fully-optioned 90D back home, thank you very much.

I am guessing this is fairly new, but when I dropped off my car at Van Nuys yesterday for service, they set me up with an Enterprise rental Tesla S75.

It was a base model car, but appeared to be brand new with only 1600 miles. It has the textile seats, glass roof and AP2 sensors, but no AP turned on. Guy at the SC said Enterprise had bought a bunch of them, I assume as part some deal to supplement the in-house loaners.

It also appears that supercharging is not free (There was a $$ counter on the charge screen) which is an interesting note. Since Tesla is covering this rental, I assume that I don't have to worry about fees, but if I rented one on my own I wonder how much Enterprise would gouge for using the supercharger network on their account. (Similar to the extra fees you pay if you drive a rental through electronic-only toll roads)

Anyone else seen Tesla Enterprise rentals when doing service?

Be happy with what you got. I've had a Ford Fiesta (I call it a Piñata:)) while my car is being repaired. And I've had it for nearly two months.

When I was at the Logan airport in Boston, I noticed that Enterprise had a Tesla 75D for rent. They quoted me $300 a day, and it doesn't even have the software option for Autopilot. I literally laughed and walked away, saying I'm fine with my fully-optioned 90D back home, thank you very much.

If you ever need to rent a Tesla in Boston again. We rent the Model S and Model X both P90DL completely optioned out. We also have some exotic too if you want to try something else. Funny how much they charge for an base model with nothing. We would have been cheap to rent from.

From my experience with Tesla from 2013 till now. It has been night and day. They used to give us the demo cars as loaners. Highest tier with every option. That was the case all the way up till early 2017. I rent Tesla cars out in Boston. Service center is a place I visited often with 3 Tesla. They used to pick up and delivery me a loaner. I am about 30 miles away from service center. Which was awesome. Wasn't till late 2016 they told me that I would need to start bringing it in or pay $90 for pickup. Completely understandable.
A mind blowing one was, I had an issue with my Model S P85+ On Maui island Hawaii. They sent someone from Honolulu to pick the car up and bring it to the port and then transported it to Honolulu. They offer to get me an mid tier enterprise if I wanted. It was crazy as it's expensive to transport cars between the Hawaiian Islands. Also it isn't a short trip. Tesla takes very good care of their customers.
Now back to this year. I have been to the service center maybe 6-8 times this year. Most time I have received a Tesla loaner car whether it be a Model S or Model X. My service center stocks enterprise cars on the lot primarily Cadillac. The one time they didn't have a Tesla they loaned me a Land Rover Evoque. Was nice but still lacking in many ways to a P90DL Model X. Other loaners have been Tesla's but pre auto-pilot, or trade-in/off lease cars. Pretty beat up and lacking options. I have been spoiled honestly from start of always being given a demo car. It seem it all about timing and demand. If you had an appointment with loaner car. You are more likely to get a nice Tesla. If you push your way into an appointment then more likely to get an enterprise as other loaner Teslas a set for previous set appointments.
Scary rumor and news about the possibility of getting rid of the loaner program altogether. I can see how it would have some serious overhead. They have recently offered to pay for Ubers or having a worker drive me home for those times that don't absolutely have to have a loaner or they don't have any cars. With Model 3 coming out. It hard to see them being able to accommodate owners with the pampering they once were able to offer. I can completely understand it. The future shall show if they will go to a pure out dated tradein/off lease fleet or an Enterprise loaner fleet. They still do their best to keep customer happy either way.

• Helpful
Reactions: ModelX and TaoJones
Interesting to see how high our courtesy car expectations are for Tesla.

Most other American car service centers provide very limited rental cars, and with no obligation to provide something as nice as the vehicle they are having serviced. Mostly they have an Enterprise desk there, where you can rent something, with the franchise getting a share of their profits.

Never had one that would pay for fuel, insurance, tolls, carpool access etc.

Believe Tesla provides a very high level of convience for their repair customers. If available they provide a Tesla with free Supercharging access. If not, they provide a conventional rent a car and asked the customer to bring them a receipt if they purchase fuel. They usually plug in your in service car for you to add charge until you pick it up. They will wash your car and do additional servicing that might be needed, in addition to your initial service request.

All in all a pretty good experience, but of course, some getting an even better level of service than others, depending on the circumstances.

Interesting to see how high our courtesy car expectations are for Tesla.

Most other American car service centers provide very limited rental cars, and with no obligation to provide something as nice as the vehicle they are having serviced. Mostly they have an Enterprise desk there, where you can rent something, with the franchise getting a share of their profits.

Never had one that would pay for fuel, insurance, tolls, carpool access etc.

I can't speak for customs in your part of the world and this isn't for american car manufacturers but all the MB, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, VW and Infiniti dealers I've dealt with for the last few decades have provided loaner cars, sometimes covering fuel, sometimes not. tolls are usually on you and your insurance policy will usually cover the loaner. expecting tesla to provide a loaner is not an over the top expectation.

I actually like the cloth - it seems like it would hold you in the seat better during "spirited" driving. Maybe Tesla should offer Alcantara seats on their P models (not just the tiny inserts I have now on my "performance" seats.)

But, I have figured out that I do NOT like the new seat shape, so this loaner was useful for me. Turns out I am too short for the side bolsters as they force my shoulders forward while driving. Kind of puts a damper on any upgrade plans from my 2013. For now they still offer the classic seats as an option, but I wonder how long that will last.

On another note, getting a Tesla from Enterprise is not quite the same experience as a loaner car. My rental was less than half charged (luckily it was enough to get me home) and today I got tire pressure low warnings so had to spend 20 minutes airing up all the tires.
My upcoming S has the cloth seats and it will be the first car I've bought without leather in many many years. When I did my 24 hour test drive, they came over with an S with leather, but also with an X to take both guys home. That X had the textile seats and both my wife and I loved them. I actually liked the look and comfort better than the leather. That's the first time I've experienced that. :)

Most other American car service centers provide very limited rental cars, and with no obligation to provide something as nice as the vehicle they are having serviced.

Tesla may be a car thst is designed and made in America but it is not an American car, thank the heavens! American cars (other than Tesla) represent the absolute worst of American engineering. Likewise, American car dealers represent the worst of all car dealers in the US.

Andrew

Where did you hear this. Goodness gracious the fodder coming from Tesla / Elon's mouth and what really happens is REALLY getting old.

From Tesla's Q1 2017 earnings report from Elon's mouth:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”
Between my two teslas, ive been in for service about 5 times this year.

Not once did I get a better car than my P90D when that one was in and not once did I get a better car than the standard 85 when that one was in.

I didn't even get a single tesla, all were ICE cars, got a Lincoln and fords

I just got a Hyundai Genesis as my loaner. This is the Toronto SC. A bit disappointed... Feel like I'm driving an 18 wheeler that's lower to the ground. Happy they did valet service for me though, as I'm about 45 minutes away from the service center and it would have put a dent in my day (twice).

What happened to Elon's statement that we would be getting P100Ds as loaners?!?

Just had my Model S in for its annual and also got an Enterprise S75 loaner. This was the first time I had seen the all glass roof--was interesting, but I like my pano roof better. The textile seats were also nicer than expected--wonder how they do with dog hair?