Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EoY 2019 Deliveries: Quality Control Thread

Are there issues with your build that need to be addressed?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a few posts here in this thread. I took delivery 12/04/19 pretty much straight off the truck

Several light spots of paint and a few scuffs and swirls.

Taking Delivery tomorrow. Thoughts on paint quality of most recent production Tesla's?

Made an appointment as soon as I was able to and earliest was 4 weeks (01/02/2020)

Brought it in today and they seem completely committed to fixing EOY batches. I brought my car in with 1017 miles having made my initial report a few days outside the 7 day window but we'll below the thousand miles.

They looked up my delivery time-line and agreed to fix the car to my satisfaction.

Initially they didn't have any loaners and so issued me $500 in über credits (100/day). I called back a few times throughout the day but they didn't have anything in yet.
Got a text at 5pm saying 'hey we got a loaner in do you want it and can you be here by 6p" I grabbed a family member and hauled off to the burbank service center in heavy traffic.

Made it to the SC at 6:02 and was handed the key to a 2019 MS 75D.

After humping it in 55 mins of traffic home I checked the app for an update and it shows my vehicle will be available on or around January 8th. (looks like it might be going back to the paint shop)

Screenshot_20200102-231953_Messages.jpg 20200102_231715.jpg 20200102_231737.jpg

I made a few posts here in this thread. I took delivery 12/04/19 pretty much straight off the truck

Several light spots of paint and a few scuffs and swirls.

Taking Delivery tomorrow. Thoughts on paint quality of most recent production Tesla's?

Made an appointment as soon as I was able to and earliest was 4 weeks (01/02/2020)

Brought it in today and they seem completely committed to fixing EOY batches. I brought my car in with 1017 miles having made my initial report a few days outside the 7 day window but we'll below the thousand miles.

They looked up my delivery time-line and agreed to fix the car to my satisfaction.

Initially they didn't have any loaners and so issued me $500 in über credits (100/day). I called back a few times throughout the day but they didn't have anything in yet.
Got a text at 5pm saying 'hey we got a loaner in do you want it and can you be here by 6p" I grabbed a family member and hauled off to the burbank service center in heavy traffic.

Made it to the SC at 6:02 and was handed the key to a 2019 MS 75D.

After humping it in 55 mins of traffic home I checked the app for an update and it shows my vehicle will be available on or around January 8th. (looks like it might be going back to the paint shop)

View attachment 495885 View attachment 495888 View attachment 495889

Does it require a paint job or just touch up?

Does it require a paint job or just touch up?

They told me today it could be 3 days or a week.

Kinda depends on whether it can be handled at the body shop there at the service center or whether they expect it to be a respray.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to be a respray but based on the time-line they've given me it might be the latter.

They said they only give out loaners if the car is expected to be more than 3 days. They gave me $500 in uber credits and then a loaner after the fact...

As your appointment approaches we want to advise that Tesla Service now offers Uber credits for transportation while your vehicle is in service. We will provide you with $100/day in credits. Tesla will cover this expense for the duration of your service visit. Please confirm you have the most current Uber app on your smart phone. Loaner vehicles will be considered, these are subject to availability, only if the vehicle is expected to be at the service center for more than 72 hours.

They told me today it could be 3 days or a week.

Kinda depends on whether it can be handled at the body shop there at the service center or whether they expect it to be a respray.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to be a respray but based on the time-line they've given me it might be the latter.

They said they only give out loaners if the car is expected to be more than 3 days. They gave me $500 in uber credits and then a loaner after the fact...

My 2020 red LR also had a bunch of paint chips and clear coat issues. The 2 right passenger doors has to be completely repainted as well as the trunk lid. I'm worried there's gonna be a slight color difference between the new and original paint.

If it's a respray, inspect the color tone to see if it matches the original paint. I'm curious to know the results.

My 2020 red LR also had a bunch of paint chips and clear coat issues. The 2 right passenger doors has to be completely repainted as well as the trunk lid. I'm worried there's gonna be a slight color difference between the new and original paint.

Almost half of my car had to be re-sprayed at the Tesla approved body shop earlier this year. The paint match was spot on and I couldn't see any color differences in direct sunlight or under florescent light. I was happy with the work they did.

Will your re-spray be done at a Tesla approved shop or is Tesla going to be the one to do the re-spray ?

Almost half of my car had to be re-sprayed at the Tesla approved body shop earlier this year. The paint match was spot on and I couldn't see any color differences in direct sunlight or under florescent light. I was happy with the work they did.

Will your re-spray be done at a Tesla approved shop or is Tesla going to be the one to do the re-spray ?

What color is your Tesla?

What color is your Tesla?

The color of mine is Blue. I did see a repaired Red Model 3 there also. I only saw it in natural sunlight, but the color match was spot on. This was at a Tesla Approved Body Shop...

I am somewhat picky on color matching. I had a huge chunk of paint gouged out of the side skirt of my Yellow NSX. I've gone to two local bodyshops (one displays multiple cars at SEMA) and they can't match the color. First body shop was too light, second body shop was too dark. Finally found someone selling OEM yellow side skirts and purchased them so I could have a proper color match.

Does your Tesla need a re-spray ?

The color of mine is Blue. I did see a repaired Red Model 3 there also. I only saw it in natural sunlight, but the color match was spot on. This was at a Tesla Approved Body Shop...

I am somewhat picky on color matching. I had a huge chunk of paint gouged out of the side skirt of my Yellow NSX. I've gone to two local bodyshops (one displays multiple cars at SEMA) and they can't match the color. First body shop was too light, second body shop was too dark. Finally found someone selling OEM yellow side skirts and purchased them so I could have a proper color match.

Does your Tesla need a re-spray ?

My paint is shockingly good compared to what has been posted on this forum. The only issue is whoever was in charge of painting the bumpers that day grab the wrong color of red from the shelf. I am starting to think they grabbed the special edition, Model S Signature Red, instead of the Multicoat Red.

I don't want a respray, I would like them to replace the bumper with a factory pre-painted bumper that was painted with the right color. But I won't know until my appt on Wed next week what they are willing to do. I may have to go the respray route.

My paint is shockingly good compared to what has been posted on this forum. The only issue is whoever was in charge of painting the bumpers that day grab the wrong color of red from the shelf. I am starting to think it's they grabbed the special edition, Signature Red, from the shelf for mine and some other people's bumpers. I don't want a respray, I would like them to replace the bumper with a factory pre-painted bumper that was painted with the right color.

Are both bumpers affected ? I was at the Tesla SC in Rocklin getting an alignment and they had a Red Model 3 on display. On this display car, the rear bumper was definitely darker than the trunk lid and quarter panel. The sensors seemed to be the same color as the trunk and quarter panel and really stood out against the darker rear bumper. The color match on the front bumper was fine.

I hope Tesla resolves this for you and to your satisfaction.

Are both bumpers affected ? I was at the Tesla SC in Rocklin getting an alignment and they had a Red Model 3 on display. On this display car, the rear bumper was definitely darker than the trunk lid and quarter panel. The sensors seemed to be the same color as the trunk and quarter panel and really stood out against the darker rear bumper. The color match on the front bumper was fine.

I hope Tesla resolves this for you and to your satisfaction.

The back is off too, but it's not bothering me as much as the front.

We'll see what mood they are in when I go for my appt next week. It seems pretty inconsistent as to how they handle these situations nowadays.

2019-12-21 16.06.55.jpg

Wind noise at bottom right corner or passenger window/dash. i stuff a shirt in that corner and the noise is gone.

Sounds like someone forgot to put the glue all the way around the windshield before mounting it.

You can feel it in these cars that there’s definitely no pride in their workmanship. Design, yes, but build, no. Must be a toxic environment on their assembly line. Hope they get new leadership that inspires them to build better.

Reactions: M3FNATIK
Sounds like someone forgot to put the glue all the way around the windshield before mounting it.

You can feel it in these cars that there’s definitely no pride in their workmanship. Design, yes, but build, no. Must be a toxic environment on their assembly line. Hope they get new leadership that inspires them to build better.

The question is do you keep it or return and try again in another 12 months? Already sold my June 18 LRRWD in Jan 19, still trying to figure out if will keep the Dec 19 LRAWD!

The question is do you keep it or return and try again in another 12 months? Already sold my June 18 LRRWD in Jan 19, still trying to figure out if will keep the Dec 19 LRAWD!

Just depends if your car was built on a good day at the factory. Mine is mechanically sound, and paint is really good except for the bumpers. The other stuff is minor, so I am keeping it. I got a good deal on mine as a demo with very low miles and before the price hike and got the tax rebate.

So I am just sharing this with you so you don’t think that these issues do not occur anywhere else. They do and even with more expensive cars.

I am in no way defending Tesla here especially with the paint, alignment and other issues posted here. You have every right to be upset about the lack of QC in your cars.

Just about a year ago I got my wife a loaded BMW X6 for her birthday.

$86k OTD. I did a short term 24 month lease (now glad I did).

Noticed at delivery that the clear coat had little divots and some imperfections on all the top surfaces. The dealer had their detail shop try to fix it with only little success. Then their bodyshop had to color sand and machine polished it down twice to address the issue. They blamed contamination yet the cars come covered in transportation covers...

The soft close doors mechanism in two doors has gone bad and have been replaced.

The computer system has literally “blue screened” with lines up and down the navigation screen. Dealer from what we were told took the computer out and fixed it with a software patch.

The seat belt warning comes up on the driver screen and gong goes off randomly when driving even though seat belts are on.
Have to pull over and restart the car every time. It is at BMW for the 3rd time addressing those with a video we shot of this issue occurring while we were driving because the service tech could not “re create the issue” the past two service visits. This happened before and after the computer software patch above so it is something to do with the seat belt system in the car. If it is not fixed this time looking at lemon law...

Led light strip on one of the doors shorted out.

We keep hearing a noice like two pieces of plastic tapping each other middle of the car when going over small bumps and the service techs cannot figure it out.

It is currently at the dealership again for the seatbelt issue and we are already looking at options like the Model Y to replace it.

Ah, yes, you’re planning the ole “from the frying pan to the fire” maneuver...

Lol yeah something like that. We have about 10 months left on the bimmer lease.

Fortunately our new M3 issues were wheel alignment and cosmetic blem on the steering wheel and Tesla took care of it. The posts with paint and body panel alignment issues is a huge problem Tesla needs to fix.

The hope is that the Y production will be improved but we will see..

I picked up my White LR AWD White interiror on 12/27 from Costa Mesa with a friend and inspected the car and didn't find any paint defects. Only thing I found was the passenger side door handle was recessed at little more than the other doors. It still worked fine, all panel gaps were spot on, glass was all centered. A few days later I noticed the rubber trim on the right passenger side was not seated all the way in so just pushed it in and all is good. Feeling pretty happy with Tesla after a 2 month wait.

Reactions: house9