TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EPA range - is hidden range included?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by WarpedOne, Jan 23, 2014.

1. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I guess EPA range is number of driven miles to the moment of "0 miles range left, charge now" message.
    But there is some "hidden" range beyond this point.
    Does this mean MS is already a 300 EPA-miles car, it is just that there needs to be some reserve?

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

As far as I know the EPA range is until the car completely stops driving. When it shuts down. So that includes the reserve.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

We tried to determine some of this here: Energy Accounting

It appears the total rated charge does include the reserve if figured at ~300-308wH/mi, however the dash displays count down at a "faster" rate of ~273wH/mi in order to preserve some "below 0" guffer range (of ~15-17miles).

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When mine was new, I'd get exactly 265 miles on a Range Charge according to the dash, which I believe is the EPA Rated Range.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The EPA test procedure measures range until the car can't keep up with the given drive cycle (doesn't have to completely stop; even if it's too slow it will mark the end). It does not care what any screen/indicator says (in a ICE analogy, it doesn't matter if the fuel gauge says empty).