Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated Time From Production to Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Production is usually 4-5 days. Delivery depends on to where. Union City, CA? A couple of hours. Tbilisi, Georgia? A bit longer.
Even to the same location it can vary considerably depending on how much of a hurry TMC is in to be able to count the sale.
My delivery to the Midwest right at the end of a quarter was much faster than normal 'cause they put it on a truck rather than the
usual train to Chicago.

Last edited:
Production is usually 4-5 days. Delivery depends on to where. Union City, CA? A couple of hours. Tbilisi, Georgia? A bit longer.
Even to the same location it can very considerably depending on how much of a hurry TMC is in to be able to count the sale.
My delivery to the Midwest right at the end of a quarter was much faster than normal 'cause they put it on a truck rather than the
usual train to Chicago.

Ok, using your data point if production is 4-5 days I would think that it would be safe to say that within a month I would have my vehicle assuming there aren't any issues with production and assembly. I live in Nashville so this may or may not play to my advantage. I was thinking of trying to time the production after Jan 1 and receive the vehicle in late Jan. I'm currently scheduled for end of December delivery but I'm trying to time it right for a 2017 VIN without having to wait 2-3 months for it to arrive.

My belief based on what my DS told me is that the VIN is assigned when production starts.

Ok, using your data point if production is 4-5 days I would think that it would be safe to say that within a month I would have my vehicle assuming there aren't any issues with production and assembly. I live in Nashville so this may or may not play to my advantage. I was thinking of trying to time the production after Jan 1 and receive the vehicle in late Jan. I'm currently scheduled for end of December delivery but I'm trying to time it right for a 2017 VIN without having to wait 2-3 months for it to arrive.

My belief based on what my DS told me is that the VIN is assigned when production starts.
That doesn't sound right. If your car is in production now you most certainly will have a 2016 VIN. It's based on build not delivery date unless something has changed recently.

Well, my S60 was in the paint department yesterday and they're estimating a mid-october delivery. However, while I was on the phone with the delivery person they asked "if we can get it here around the 28-30th, would you be able to take delivery then?". Keep in mind my delivery will be in Georgia. So it seems they are currently rushing these cars to the delivery locations if they think they can make a Q3 delivery happen.

Paint department? You have a good DS
Eh. See here:
First Tesla - "Meh" experience so far

I think someone from up higher saw the post I made here Friday night because first thing Saturday I started getting numerous emails and phone calls from the same people who had ignored me for a week all of the sudden being super helpful. They were offering daily updates, etc. I told them that wasn't necessary but I wouldn't mind a quick email once the car is in transit.

The folks in Nashville and California have been great. The crew in Georgia needs some training. I appreciate them now being helpful but I'm well aware that it's because someone above them pointed out they were slacking. Kudos to Tesla for keeping an eye on the forums and taking care of their customers though!

Reactions: Chopr147
Well, my S60 was in the paint department yesterday and they're estimating a mid-october delivery. However, while I was on the phone with the delivery person they asked "if we can get it here around the 28-30th, would you be able to take delivery then?". Keep in mind my delivery will be in Georgia. So it seems they are currently rushing these cars to the delivery locations if they think they can make a Q3 delivery happen.
I really doubt your DS knows what stage of production your car is in. They are likely guessing.

I think someone from up higher saw the post I made here Friday night because first thing Saturday I started getting numerous emails and phone calls from the same people who had ignored me for a week all of the sudden being super helpful. They were offering daily updates, etc. I told them that wasn't necessary but I wouldn't mind a quick email once the car is in transit.

Yes, that would be @JonMc who put things in motion.

As a data point, here is the timeline so far for my 6-seater X (White, multi-coat)
Sept 1st. Order complete
Sept 8th. Order “confirmed”
Sept 9th. VIN assigned 5YJXCBE21GF0205xx
Sept 19th. In production according to rep at SC, “...it just moved into the main production line. It is currently in paint …”

I was told late October delivery, but maybe they will try to squeeze this one in for a Sept delivery as well? I won’t fault them if they do!