Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Etrade Investing balance is off ...

GreenT

verT
Mar 14, 2014
France
No idea where to post this ... but closest is TSLA?
Ok, I have an ETrade account with an IRA, several positions, one of which is TSLA. (relevance)
Every day when the markets close I check my paper gains or loss and jot it down on a calendar.
One of my positions is MSEGX the rest are pure shares.
My question is my daily balance.
This week for example. (Dummy numbers.)
Gain Balance
Monday +10,000 500,000
Tuesday +8000 506,000
Wednesday +4000 508,000
Thursday +1000 508,800
Friday +5000 511,000

See a peculiar pattern?

In the morning the details of the account are wiped out.
I've asked ETrade about why the simple addition does not add up and they simply cannot call back or email.

Am I overlooking something completely obvious.

Like are some numbers "delayed"?

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
If no options contracts, I’m not sure. Did you try adding up the changes to each individual stock so you can see what is not being counted in the overall total they give you?

GreenT

verT
Mar 14, 2014
France
No options contracts. When I add up all the stock / MSEGX gains it equals the entire daily gains.
The only number they (conveniently) omit on screen is yesterdays end of day balance.

CLK350

Oct 15, 2019
New York City
Uh - weird - maybe easiest way to get their attention, check out Schwab or Fidelity and see how to move all assets - I recall seeing that some folks on TMC were able to negotiate lower margin rates that way - well, let us know (here) what you find

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
No options contracts. When I add up all the stock / MSEGX gains it equals the entire daily gains.
The only number they (conveniently) omit on screen is yesterdays end of day balance.
Has it always been like this?

Is the number always off by the same amount? Or same percentage?

Does it correlate with MSEGX at all?

GreenT

verT
Mar 14, 2014
France
I've had the account for 10+ years. And I only noticed it about a year ago ... as I complained that they did not have "statement" view.
With daily history balances.
So, without my keeping my own manually entered balance on a calendar, and then scanning the weeks did I notice. My very bad.
MikeC, going forward in the next week, I'll have to see if the daily amount differentiation is the same amount.
In the account full view, it does have a star alongside my only Mutual Fund ... Mutual Fund and bond prices are updated at the end of each business day.
I always check at 10pm CET when the markets close.
They take forever to answer their phones, then claim they have to get a broker to call me back ... which they will not when I give them a European number (lost my USA phone a year ... long story, not going there.) Which also prevents me from opening a new account with the likes of Schwab as they require a USA mobile number.

kcveins

delivery 2/7/13
Jul 24, 2012
Chicagoland
I've had the account for 10+ years. And I only noticed it about a year ago ... as I complained that they did not have "statement" view.
With daily history balances.
So, without my keeping my own manually entered balance on a calendar, and then scanning the weeks did I notice. My very bad.
MikeC, going forward in the next week, I'll have to see if the daily amount differentiation is the same amount.
In the account full view, it does have a star alongside my only Mutual Fund ... Mutual Fund and bond prices are updated at the end of each business day.
I always check at 10pm CET when the markets close.
They take forever to answer their phones, then claim they have to get a broker to call me back ... which they will not when I give them a European number (lost my USA phone a year ... long story, not going there.) Which also prevents me from opening a new account with the likes of Schwab as they require a USA mobile number.

I have found that Mutual Fund prices usually don't update and my 401-k account balances are not updated until about 7PM Central US Time (about 4 hours after the market closes), so maybe this is the issue..

GreenT

verT
Mar 14, 2014
France
This is what I thought was maybe indeed happening, but I just checked my account 1 1/2 days after close of market Friday and the balance is still the same.
Think what I'll do Monday is sell my MSEGX and put those funds to work elsewhere. Pure stock and see if the problem evaporates.

Reactions: kcveins

GreenT

verT
Mar 14, 2014
France
Do I feel STOOOOPID. While the irregularities still exist, I overlooked the fact that the markets were closed Friday!!!
So the Thursday and Friday numbers ... are only Thursday!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC