Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU breakdown cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading to France and possibly Italy in the next couple of weeks, does anyone have any recommendations on which is the best breakdown cover - I want something more comprehensive that the standard Tesla assistance. I guess most UK firms contract out jobs so it can be a lottery, any experiences / recommendations appreciated.

Reactions: DeejUK
I'm heading to France and possibly Italy in the next couple of weeks, does anyone have any recommendations on which is the best breakdown cover - I want something more comprehensive that the standard Tesla assistance. I guess most UK firms contract out jobs so it can be a lottery, any experiences / recommendations appreciated.

Damn right you want more than Tesla's. AA works for us. About £370/year.

Upvote 0
Your insurance company may offer breakdown cover as an add on with a substantial discount over the cost of getting it separately- there’s often an option for European coverage as well as UK that might be worth looking at.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Westrow, I went with RAC for both myself and wife on full UK breakdown, at home and recovery for only £125. This includes cover for onward travel, courtesy car, lost keys, tyre replace and legal cover. Check it out.
It will obviously be more for cover for Europe but RAC was best price i could find with one of the well known companies.
Be careful about going for the little known names as some have terrible reviews about the service when you actually need to get help. The 5* reviews they get tend to be about the sales service when buying cover.

Upvote 0
I've got green flag with european cover for £90 a year. You just want someone that'll either do a fix (replace tyres, 12v jumpstart, simple stuff) or get your car to the SC, and if you're stuck get you home again (even from europe, if necessary). Although addons exist to cover 'parts and labour' at garages, the chances they'll be able to fix an EV is minimal, so not worth it.

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to hear something about how often breakdown service is used by Telsa owners. What goes wrong, leading to a call? Do the services actually manage to fix anything?

Had a flat in Wimereux on a Sunday. Tesla useless. Didn't even answer the phone. Promise of a wheel/tyre swap a chimera. Changed to our ***** Road Hero spare myself. Never leave home without it.

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to hear something about how often breakdown service is used by Telsa owners. What goes wrong, leading to a call? Do the services actually manage to fix anything?
I've had to call roadside assistance twice with car problems ..but not at a weekend. They have been efficient with arranging a loaner and tow truck to take it for repair. BUT I wouldn't bank on emergency help from them... I have RAC for that and it covers the other 2 cars as well.

• Informative
Upvote 0
I've got green flag with european cover for £90 a year. You just want someone that'll either do a fix (replace tyres, 12v jumpstart, simple stuff) or get your car to the SC, and if you're stuck get you home again (even from europe, if necessary). Although addons exist to cover 'parts and labour' at garages, the chances they'll be able to fix an EV is minimal, so not worth it.
Thanks Tony, good point on that add on bit! I had a look at Green Flag - in fact that's where I started. The problem I had with them was that the dropdown list of cars didn't include Tesla, I figured I'd have to use 'Unknown'.

Upvote 0
Tesla ‘breakdown’ is not breakdown cover. It is ad-hoc cover for warranty issues and limited tyre issues.

Anything non warranty will not be included, ie non warranty damage/wear and tear.

For newer cars, most breakdowns will likely be warranty item, but they still do not have the sort of coverage that proper breakdown services have. They also have limitations like max distance they will travel to a car such as tyre issue.

And they are far from 24/7 for some types of issues.

Reactions: hab66 and MrT3
Upvote 0