Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Level 2 Chanrging - Single Phase, Three Phase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I am in Rome, Italy, and this is possibly only a meaningful question for fellow Europeans as it pertains our local electric system/infrastructure. But, in principle, it applies to every country.

I am about to take delivery of my Model Y, and there's one thing I still can't find out about it.

• What is Model Y's peak charging speed (kW) when charging AC, single phase - 220V (Level 2)? I think it is 11kW, but can anyone confirm? Also, will that increase via software update, as far as you know?
    So, these are already two questions I suppose. :D

• What is Model Y's peak charging speed (kW) when charging AC, three phase - 380V, if that is supported? If it is, will I need some dedicated adapter?
    I know by reading in the installation manual, that the Tesla Wall Adapter does support three-phase input wiring. But, what peak speed will the car charge at (of course assuming such power is available to you from the utility)?
    I am particularly curious about this.
Thank you very much in advance! :)

7.6 kW (240V - 32A) single phase, no it won't increase via software update, it's already at the limit of single phase loads available

11 kW (400V - 16A) three phase via a wall connector (mobile charger doesn't support three phase).

Reactions: Taym
7.6 kW (240V - 32A) single phase, no it won't increase via software update, it's already at the limit of single phase loads available

11 kW (400V - 16A) three phase via a wall connector (mobile charger doesn't support three phase).
Thank you. I eventually found out all details on this, and I am about to receive a Wall Connector, in the hope I will eventually be able to upgrade to three phase in my apartment.

Ciao!

Do you live in Rome directly? You mentioned an apartment. But you do have your own charging spot, with your own Tesla Wall Connector?

How is public charging, in Rome? For those who don't have their own solution?

Oh, and congrats to your Model Y!! 🥳

Ciao!

Do you live in Rome directly? You mentioned an apartment. But you do have your own charging spot, with your own Tesla Wall Connector?

How is public charging, in Rome? For those who don't have their own solution?

Oh, and congrats to your Model Y!! 🥳
Ciao Owen!

Yes, I live in Rome, in an apartment.
Yes, I have my own garage (not so uncommon in Rome after all to have a garage even when you live in an apartment).
Yes, I have installed my charging spot in my garage. Since I posted that message above, few things have changed. My wife has an Electric Smart and I have a Model Y. In my garage, I have an EnelX WallBox and a recently added Tesla Wall Connector, to charge two cars at the same time.
Yes, there were other solutions to accomplish the same goal, possibly a bit less expensive, but these ended up being the most convenient for us, for a number of reasons.

Number of charging stations are increasing dramatically fast (to my surprise) across the city. Most of them, unfortunately, are not DC, which means that in most cases you'll charge at 11kW max, due to a limit inherent to Model 3s and Ys. I *think* Model Xs and Ss will charge at 16KW, but I am not entirely sure (I think it depends on how old they are).

Fortunately, DC chargers are also being installed, but there are not that many yet. They will charge at 50kW max in most cases. Occasionally you'll find faster ones.

Most public chargers are by Enel (with their EnelX network), or EVA+. There are few other charging networks, however, and they are all expanding.

If may want to get JuicePass App (EnelX) you'll find out where most charging stations are. There are several other apps that I was recommended. I'll list them here for you, but I have not tried them (yet):
- NextCharge
- PlugShare
- D-Mobility
- Chargemap

Rome only has ONE supercharger station, at one Sheraton Hotel in the south-west part of the City. But, Rome is quite large, and it may take you a long time to get there if you don't live close-by. At present, not even the Tesla Sore in Rome, which is on the ring, east side, has SuperChargers (!!). Hopefully, Tesla will fix this soon.
However, there are a few SC outside of the city, which is very convenient.

I have a friend who owns an Electric Smart (like my wife's), but he has no garage. He charges regularly in public charging stations and he says it is ok. I don't think it is ideal, but, it is doable.

Depending on where you live, and how far the closest charging place is, and how fast it is, and how many stalls it has, your experience may change considerably. I do recommend doing your own research if you plan to get your Tesla in Rome without your own parking spot.

And finally: Thank you! I am truly loving my Model Y. By far the best car I have ever owned, on pretty much every metric. I've been a fan for years, and I am truly in love with it. :)

Ciao.. um, you!

So you had the EnelX Wallbox first? Which means that it can't do power sharing with the Tesla Wall Connector; at least not natively.
Since the Smart can charge on the TWC (as you know – but in the US that's a problem, because of the different plugs), you could hypothetically get a second TWC and hook it up to the same circuit, and then set the two to automatically share the available power. And sell the EnelX Wallbox. I think there just might be a market for those now. [Wallboxes in general; not throwing shade at EnelX. Aside from having heard their name before, I know next to nothing about them.]
Unless there is an inherent advantage to using their Wallbox. Like remote monitoring; which the TWC doesn't do, natively. That is done via the car – and your wife's probably doesn't do it.

I did download their JuicePass App... and, yes! There really are quite a number of charging stations in Rome now. And you are right: Model 3 and Y only charge at 11kW, on AC; and the Facelift Model S (from mid-2016), and all Model X can go up to 16.5kW (3phases x 24A, vs. only 16A on the 3/Y) – if the charger can deliver that. Most public AC chargers seem to "only" deliver 11kW, but that is perfectly fine. And I believe that the new, 2021+ Model S an X also only charge at 3x16A.

And I agree: there really should be more Superchargers! How many Tesla are there, in Rome? And how much does a kWh cost, in Italy (at SuC)?
But it's quite obvious why there aren't any at the Store: there just isn't any room. And it's complicated to get to, from the ring.

What do you do? For work?

Reactions: petit_bateau
Ciao.. um, you!

So you had the EnelX Wallbox first? Which means that it can't do power sharing with the Tesla Wall Connector; at least not natively.
Since the Smart can charge on the TWC (as you know – but in the US that's a problem, because of the different plugs), you could hypothetically get a second TWC and hook it up to the same circuit, and then set the two to automatically share the available power. And sell the EnelX Wallbox. I think there just might be a market for those now. [Wallboxes in general; not throwing shade at EnelX. Aside from having heard their name before, I know next to nothing about them.]
Unless there is an inherent advantage to using their Wallbox. Like remote monitoring; which the TWC doesn't do, natively. That is done via the car – and your wife's probably doesn't do it.

I did download their JuicePass App... and, yes! There really are quite a number of charging stations in Rome now. And you are right: Model 3 and Y only charge at 11kW, on AC; and the Facelift Model S (from mid-2016), and all Model X can go up to 16.5kW (3phases x 24A, vs. only 16A on the 3/Y) – if the charger can deliver that. Most public AC chargers seem to "only" deliver 11kW, but that is perfectly fine. And I believe that the new, 2021+ Model S an X also only charge at 3x16A.

And I agree: there really should be more Superchargers! How many Tesla are there, in Rome? And how much does a kWh cost, in Italy (at SuC)?
But it's quite obvious why there aren't any at the Store: there just isn't any room. And it's complicated to get to, from the ring.

What do you do? For work?
Hey you too.

I am aware of the advantages of having two Tesla Wall Connectors. EnelX WallBox was included by Mercedes with my Smart, before I got my Model Y.
I don't plan to sell it, though, as it comes with a convenient load balancer - possibly the one nice feature the Tesla Wall Connector lacks. When I need to make sure I charge at maximum speed without flipping the utility meter switch, I use that ad forget about it.

Starting last September, there are quite a few Teslas in Rome, compared to the past. I normally see one or two M3s on my short commute to work, daily, which is unprecedented. Often more. I am quite sure demand for Teslas is sky-high in Rome, just as it is pretty much anywhere else in the world. Constraint is, at present (and since always) supply, not demand. Maybe with Giga Berlin eventually operational (will they ever get all approvals?), we'll see even more.
For sure there is a need of more Superchargers, but even there Tesla is all-in with the network expansion and it all comes down to when Rome will become again Tesla's focus for upgrades. I suspect location of the Tesla Store will eventually change; it truly can be improved.

My Last SC session in Arezzo was € 0.43/kWh (just yesterday). I never supercharged at the Sheraton in Rome, so far, but I would safely assume price is similar if not identical all across the Country. I am actually curious to check out the Sheraton SC, as it is reportedly one of the few 250kW SC in Italy, and I've only charged at 150kW stations so far.