Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 220V 3 phases in USA Model Y 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get the gen 3 wall charger?
I have 3 phase in my business. In the US.
There are several ways to connect EV charging equipment to commercial 3 phase service in North America. The most common way is to wire two phases of a 120Y208V service to the EVSE. That will deliver 208V nominal to the vehicle. This is extremely common. There are also other ways to connect to 277V and 240V from 480V service. However, as stated above, the North American vehicles that use the Tesla connector or J1772 are inherently single phase and cannot accept 3 phase. There are simply not enough contacts in the charge port to connect 3 phases.

The Charging plug on the Australian Gen3 Wall Connector comes with this plug called CCS. It's the European standard.

In the pic the top is the AC plug the bottom is for DC

The AC plug has 2 small communication pins at the top. The 5 larger pins are Earth, Neutral, 3 active phases

The DC plug has a pair of additional pins for DC charging but still uses the 2 communication pins while the 5 larger pins on the AC side are inactive

Also the Australian Wall Connector allows only 32A single phase

IMG_1939.jpeg

And, just being a little strange about all this:

Actual power distribution on poles and such in the US is done with 3-phase power; typically 440 VAC, sometimes higher than that. And definitely higher than that when one talks about high tension wires.

The output of transformers feeding individual houses, as many have pointed out, is something labeled, "split phase". Out back in my development of eleven houses or so are two or three transformers, ground mounted in cabinets, that take in 3-phase at whatever voltage the local power company thinks is appropriate and puts out the split phase. Which is, simply, one phase at 120VAC/_0 degrees and another phase at 120VAC/_180 degrees, both with respect to the neutral. Phase to phase, one gets 240 VAC.

This magic is done by winding the transformer in a certain way.

If the fellow with 3-phase power really wants to, I imagine some random electrician would be happy to put in a 3-phase, 120 VAC input (that's the one that's 208 from phase to phase) transformer with 120 split phase (240 vac from phase to phase). Probably not too expensive.

And, just being a little strange about all this:

Actual power distribution on poles and such in the US is done with 3-phase power; typically 440 VAC, sometimes higher than that. And definitely higher than that when one talks about high tension wires.

The output of transformers feeding individual houses, as many have pointed out, is something labeled, "split phase". Out back in my development of eleven houses or so are two or three transformers, ground mounted in cabinets, that take in 3-phase at whatever voltage the local power company thinks is appropriate and puts out the split phase. Which is, simply, one phase at 120VAC/_0 degrees and another phase at 120VAC/_180 degrees, both with respect to the neutral. Phase to phase, one gets 240 VAC.

This magic is done by winding the transformer in a certain way.

If the fellow with 3-phase power really wants to, I imagine some random electrician would be happy to put in a 3-phase, 120 VAC input (that's the one that's 208 from phase to phase) transformer with 120 split phase (240 vac from phase to phase). Probably not too expensive.
I've never seen what I think you're describing - a 3 phase primary and single/split phase secondary. If the neighborhood is fed with 3 phase power, they will install 3n single phase transformers, and try to distribute the houses evenly among the 3 primary phases.

One of my houses has 3 phase at the street. To get 3 phase power I'd need to pay for the transformer installation ($$$$) and go on a small commercial/industrial rate. The monthly meter charge would be $32 + demand charges of nearly $20/kW over 5kW. Realistically, that could hit $400/month. Much cheaper to buy a big VFD to power a 3-phase motor (plus you get variable speed control).

Where did you get the gen 3 wall charger?
I have 3 phase in my business. In the US.
You don't want a 3-phase Wall Connector from Australia. It won't work on your car.

If you want to connect to your building's power, buy a USA Gen 3 Wall Connector and connect it to two of the three phases. The result will be 208 volts, which can supply up to 10 kW at 48 amps. This is only slightly less than the standard 11.5 kW at 240 volts on a normal split phase system.

If you have 480 volt 3-phase, you can connect a Gen 2 Wall Connector to one leg of 277 volts and neutral. This will provide about 12 kW of charging - the max a current Tesla can do. Beware that this setup won't work on non-Teslas, most/all of which can't accept 277 volts AC.

• Helpful
Reactions: tga and Rocky_H
If you have 480 volt 3-phase, you can connect a Gen 2 Wall Connector to one leg of 277 volts and neutral. This will provide about 12 kW of charging - the max a current Tesla can do. Beware that this setup won't work on non-Teslas, most/all of which can't accept 277 volts AC.

I've posted this picture elsewhere on TMC of me charging my old S - 80A@277V

80at264small-jpg.761691

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl