Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 220V 3 phases in USA Model Y 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if any improvement were made to allow using a three phases 220V from my business warehouse to charge my Tesla with Wall connector?
I know this may have already been asked in the thread in the past but As model changes and new features are added, there is may be more

I just bought a Model Y 2023.

Thanks
Benoit

While you can’t charge with three phases, you can charge from a three phase receptacle. You use an adapter that will put one of the phases onto a one phase receptacle which you can then plug a Mobile Connector to. See bottom of this page: CarCharging.us

I just noticed you asked about a Wall Connector. Any electrician would be able to hook a Wall Connector to a commercial three phase power system (again would only use one of the phases).

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and Rocky_H
While you can’t charge with three phases, you can charge from a three phase receptacle. You use an adapter that will put one of the phases onto a one phase receptacle which you can then plug a Mobile Connector to. See bottom of this page: CarCharging.us

I just noticed you asked about a Wall Connector. Any electrician would be able to hook a Wall Connector to a commercial three phase power system (again would only use one of the phases).
You would use two of the phases, not one.

Its a hard ask, but wouldn’t it be nice if all EV makers took out the on-board AC-DC converter and made it external?

This way, since all EVs already have similar contacts for DC charging (two big pins, a medium pin and two smaller pins), then we can have one singular plug type worldwide. EV makers wont have to make an NACS and CCS versions.

With the AC-DC converter being external, it can be adjusted as necessary for the power grids it plugs into. Plus, allows USA to make use of 3 phases.

And since every little bit helps, there might be some range gained from weight loss of the converter plus wiring tied to it. Maybe.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Its a hard ask, but wouldn’t it be nice if all EV makers took out the on-board AC-DC converter and made it external?

This way, since all EVs already have similar contacts for DC charging (two big pins, a medium pin and two smaller pins), then we can have one singular plug type worldwide. EV makers wont have to make an NACS and CCS versions.

With the AC-DC converter being external, it can be adjusted as necessary for the power grids it plugs into. Plus, allows USA to make use of 3 phases.

And since every little bit helps, there might be some range gained from weight loss of the converter plus wiring tied to it. Maybe.
Except we've got two major DC charging plugs (3 if you count CHAdeMO) in the U.S. alone, so you'd still have multiple plugs to deal with, plus a home charging station would be a LOT more expensive.

Except we've got two major DC charging plugs (3 if you count CHAdeMO) in the U.S. alone, so you'd still have multiple plugs to deal with, plus a home charging station would be a LOT more expensive.
For the US, many EV makers have announced moving to NACS already. By eliminating the bulkier park of a CCS2 plug, there’s little to no reason to switch over to NACS in Europe. As for CHAdeMO, outside of Japan and maybe China there doesn’t seem like it has a decent adoption rate. Sounds like a harder ask than converting Europe to NACS. Though apparently ChaoJi is in the works.

Alternatively, while I’m already used to the NACS plug, I’m not saying everyone should move to it specifically.

But I definitely agree that external converters will be more expensive, which is a part of why I said it was a hard ask. Even on top of trying to get companies, let alone countries to agree in a single standard.

No, that is a terrible idea. That would remove the ability for people to charge electric cars from normal circuits at home, which is one of their greatest benefits.
Read the paragraph above as to why I say it’s a hard ask.

PS, there’s a slight benefit to this for some folks using solar charging and power walls.

It’s mostly just a thought anyway. I can‘t see it actually happening with the politics (company/country level) and expenses (individual) that would be involved.

Last edited:
  • Funny
You are ignoring the part where I said make the AC-DC converter external? As in, in the wall charger?
I'm not ignoring it. @davewill already covered it, showing why that's a total non-starter. And he was being way too polite about it too!
plus a home charging station would be a LOT more expensive.
Yeah, like $10,000 plus installation cost, rather than about $300. You want to murder EV adoption everywhere? Spring that on people as a gotcha after purchase.

I'm not ignoring it. @davewill already covered it, showing why that's a total non-starter. And he was being way too polite about it too!

Yeah, like $10,000 plus installation cost, rather than about $300. You want to murder EV adoption everywhere? Spring that on people as a gotcha after purchase.
$10k? what is that based on?

I ask, because it doesn’t seem like there’s $10k of AC-DC equipment in a Tesla vehicle, even with mark up.

But having done some googling, I’ve seen some in the $6k range for 12kw.

Last edited:

To be fair, if there was an actual mass market available for home DC chargers in the under 8kW range, I'm sure we'd see them for a couple thousand after a period of time. Still too expensive.

DC chargers have to be versatile because the batteries in EVs operate over a fairly broad voltage range. They also have to undergo a ton of safety testing since high voltage is really dangerous. You can't just repackage the one in the car for general use as it will only know how to talk to that car's BMS and may only work in the normal voltage range of that car.

Wow, in all part of the US or depends on location?
Also what is the maximum current draw for a single phase Gen3 in the US?
All of the US. 3 phase power is only available to commercial customers, meaning larger buildings. The Tesla Wall Charger has a maximum charge rate of 48A (on a single phase, of course), giving you 11.5 kW. I looked up the Australian Wall Connector, but couldn't deduce the wattage you'd get there (although it has a 32A maximum, but of course, different number of phases and voltages).

looked up the Australian Wall Connector, but couldn't deduce the wattage
3 phase available nearly everywhere to retail customers

Gen3 AUS
3phase 16A
Max charging rate 11kW (3x16A = 48A)

If using single phase then max current is 32A 240V. So if single phase max charging rate in Australia is 7.6kWh

The actual supply voltage can range between 200V and 250v. I get average 247V.

No, that is a terrible idea. That would remove the ability for people to charge electric cars from normal circuits at home, which is one of their greatest benefits.
I think he's just suggesting something like the mobile connector would have the rectifier on it instead of in the car . You'd still have different options on connecting the AC side

It's maybe not a terrible idea you'd just probably have to carry around a bigger connector/ charger all the time though.. but we do that now anyway

• Funny