Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey... psst... could you convince other Norwegian Tesla owners to tell Tesla that they enjoy taking their cars on a ferry to Iceland, so that we can finally get some superchargers here? ;) hehehe
First we need to convince some ferry company to start a low-cost 24h or 36h ferry cruise to Iceland with tax-free shopping. Then I think the Tesla's will start coming :)
Yes, we Norwegians love tax-free - as you can see very clearly in this same thread ;)

Reactions: jbcarioca
Hey... psst... could you convince other Norwegian Tesla owners to tell Tesla that they enjoy taking their cars on a ferry to Iceland, so that we can finally get some superchargers here? ;) hehehe
Just as in South Korea, eh? Can you find out how many cars use the ferry, and from where? With that data, even better if there is make/model data, we could infer Tesla tourism potential. A similar approach seemed to work for the Victoria Island (Nanaimo) Supercharger in Canada. A quick calculation shows there are more teslas within easy access to Iceland ferries than there are for Victoria, as incongruous as that might seem. The issue is, of course, defining 'easy' since all of NA is available for long-distance access to Victoria, BC, but the Iceland catchment area can be all of Europe, and the Supercharger presence does generate Tesla traffic by itself.

20170808_Tesla.jpg
The gap between Norway and everyone else may actually increase. Information about several new supercharger stations has popped up over the past few days in these locations:

Holmestrand: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.4899068,10.2943111,358m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bergen: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Gamle+Sandvenvegen+9,+5600+Norheimsund/@60.371661,5.8632944,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x463c346b2f5d5d6b:0xa01c14db4335092a!8m2!3d60.371661!4d6.1434458

Hokksund: Google Maps

The first appears to have 20 stalls, and more information about the other two should be available soon (information has been requested under something equivalent to the Freedom of Information act). It appears like Tesla is starting to expand the supercharger network in Norway, after a period of relatively low activity. These three superchargers haven't been on any map, so they're quite surprising.

The first appears to have 20 stalls, and more information about the other two should be available soon (information has been requested under something equivalent to the Freedom of Information act). It appears like Tesla is starting to expand the supercharger network in Norway, after a period of relatively low activity. These three superchargers haven't been on any map, so they're quite surprising.

Wondering if this is an indication that Norway is going to get the Model 3 before the rest of EU.

The gap between Norway and everyone else may actually increase. Information about several new supercharger stations has popped up over the past few days in these locations:

Holmestand: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.4899068,10.2943111,358m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bergen: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Gamle+Sandvenvegen+9,+5600+Norheimsund/@60.371661,5.8632944,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x463c346b2f5d5d6b:0xa01c14db4335092a!8m2!3d60.371661!4d6.1434458

Hokksund: Google Maps

The first appears to have 20 stalls, and more information about the other two should be available soon (information has been requested under something equivalent to the Freedom of Information act). It appears like Tesla is starting to expand the supercharger network in Norway, after a period of relatively low activity. The superchargers in Holmestrand and Hokksund haven't been on any map.
FWIW, it seems that Supercharger density has increased greatly in areas with heavy Model 3 reservations. Several urban areas previously absent have just had new announcements. Most of those have quite a few S and X, but still have had no local charging. Among those in NA alone are Seattle, WA Miami, FL. Toronto, ON and Chicago, IL and new York, NY. Every one has high Tesla density. There are dozens more. Of course Elon did say they were beginning a major urban area buildup. My personal guess is that the Hong Kong experience has been influential. Throughout Europe most of the emphasis has been on expanding tourist coverage (glance at the Gray placekeepers on the Tesla Supercharger map.) and also increasing capacity in existing locations.

Net, I doubt the gap between Norway and elsewhere will increase, but it surely will not narrow! The impressive thing is that the trips I used to take with ICE from Nice to Croatia and southeast are soon to be easy Tesla trips.
This is impressive, isn't it?:D

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
That has always been quite likely, if not certain. Not having to route some/most/all of the initial European deliveries through Tilburg will save time and money. It's quite likely Tilburg will be a bottle neck.
I wonder if Tilburg will expand to facilitate this. I'm guessing it will. Then there will be a new European GF or so that probably will be announced still this year. All those Superchargers and increased density surely aren't going in today with the idea of waiting a couple of years for increased density.

First we need to convince some ferry company to start a low-cost 24h or 36h ferry cruise to Iceland with tax-free shopping. Then I think the Tesla's will start coming :)
Yes, we Norwegians love tax-free - as you can see very clearly in this same thread ;)

Haha, yeah, unfortunately it's ~45 hours, and leaves from Hirtshals, so you either have to take the ferry from Kristiansand or Larvik, or the bridge from Göteborg first ;) But you do get a stop in the Faroes on the way. A more direct route from say Bergen would be nicer, though! According to this (p.23), you guys buy the second most tax-free goods here (after Russians). Not sure how that works, though!

I think if there's one group of people almost nobody in Iceland dislikes, it'd be Norwegians. Most people seem to look at you as like our older, more responsible brother, while we're the younger sibling that's always coming up with crazy get-rich-quick schemes and doesn't know how to plan for the future, but that's okay because, hey, þetta reddast.... ;) Even after that whole secret-machine-gun-purchase scandal a few years ago, most people here seemed to treat it like, "Come on, Norway, you should have known better than to give a gun to a kid like Iceland, he's just going to put his eye out with it..." ;) The funny part was our government repeatedly insisting that "No no, we don't actually have to pay for them, Norway gives us stuff all the time but they never expect us to actually pay..." while your government kept insisting "Um, we do actually expect to get paid..."

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Haha, yeah, unfortunately it's ~45 hours, and leaves from Hirtshals, ...

Well, that makes it a bit more then 45h from here... :/
But I have to admit I didn't even know about that ferry from Hirtshals.... It's a shame we do not have a route directly from Norway. Bergen, Trondheim or Kristiansund would all be good places for that... You are after all - or at least the original settlements - mostly emigrated Norwegians from just a small millennium or so ago ;) And you kept our language and traditions better then we did here...

But here we are going OT I'm afraid... :p
So back to topic:

Nothing new about Rygge? That one also came out of the blue, and surprisingly was even confirmed by Tesla in the media that they did plan to build a new really big station there. And then full silence as far as I know?

At risk of taking things further off topic... yeah, the sögur kind of oversimplify things. In them you have Haraldr Hárfagri (Harald Fairhair) uniting Norway, causing those who opposed him to flee to Iceland and colonize it, and that's where Icelanders came from. But in reality, Irish monks discovered Iceland first (although it's not clear whether their "settlements" were permanent or only inhabited during summers, and either way they were small), while most of the people who moved to Iceland came from Nordic settlements in the British Isles, and they brought with them both slaves and spouses from the local populace. One of our largest cities outside Reykjavík is in Vestmannaeyjar, the "Westman Islands", so named because after a revolt a bunch of "Westmen" (Irish, etc) slaves settled them, hoping that their isolation and rugged cliffs would keep them safe from retaliation (they didn't). But, they sort of got karmic payback in the "Tyrkjaránið" (the Turkish Raids... although actually the perpetrators were Moroccan and Algerian), when in the 17th century pirates sailed all the way up to Iceland and enslaved almost all of the Icelandic population on Vestmannaeyjar.

Last edited:
Reactions: wws
In them you have Haraldr Hárfagri (Harald Fairhair) uniting Norway, causing those who opposed him to flee to Iceland and colonize it,
... and to complicate it a bit more, his eldest son, Eirik Blodøks (Eric Bloodaxe) ended up as a king in Northumbria in England after he was kicked out of Norway by his younger brother that was raised in the English court... :p The point is that we had more to do with the British islands at that time then most understand. Most think the viking age was all about fighting and plundering, but it was more about migrations then anything else. Migrations to England, Irland, Man, Fareo Isles, Shetland Isles, Iceland, Greenland and for a little bit all the way to Canada from Norway.

There is history and legend. Then there is Mitochondrial DNA.
And the legend talks about a lot of (female) slaves taken from the British Isles. I do not know where they ended up, but based on this link I may have some sort of idea where it could be ;)

... but with this I think I will end this OT sub-discussion...

Reactions: KarenRei
A similar approach seemed to work for the Victoria Island (Nanaimo) Supercharger in Canada. .
*Vancouver Island. Victoria Island is a much bigger island above the arctic circle. However, the most populous city on Vancouver Island is Victoria, which is also the capital of British Columbia. I was born on that island and this error irritates me.

*Vancouver Island. Victoria Island is a much bigger island above the arctic circle. However, the most populous city on Vancouver Island is Victoria, which is also the capital of British Columbia. I was born on that island and this error irritates me.
I once worked on an international standards committee, and we scheduled a meeting in Victoria BC, on Vancouver Island as you note. But a bunch of the attendees started complaining about how hard it was to get flights to Victoria Island... it was me (Australian!) who had to set them straight...

• Funny
Reactions: Bgarret
That has always been quite likely, if not certain. Not having to route some/most/all of the initial European deliveries through Tilburg will save time and money. It's quite likely Tilburg will be a bottle neck.

Make sense. Is this theory already reflected by estimated delivery times for Norwegian reservation holders? Or is it still a blanket date for all non-US deliveries?

You can have little idea how much my "typo" irritates me, more so my sister. Being flamed by my family because I do not know the name of the island on which my mother was born is deeply embarrassing. I put "typo" in quotation marks because it is so frightening to know I actually did make that mistake.

Please accept my apologies @LargeHamCollider, my angry sister, my mother who is probably posthumously trying to disown me, and everyone else. It's too late to correct the post, which was correct about the Supercharger, but...
:eek::oops::(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Is it just me, or do the Norway August numbers look pretty weak so far? Only 38 S and 34 X. X should be way higher.
It has been questioned on the Norwegian forum if something is up with the script, as it not only the Tesla numbers that is questionable low for August (so far), but also the total numbers and then also the numbers for all BEV makers.
And now the script is reported fixed and everything is starting to look more normal :)

• Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb