Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to evsales.blogspot.com, there were 30 Model S registered in Russia in 2015 through July: EV Sales: Russia July 2015
Must be a pretty big untapped market as this number is pretty high even though no official presence in Russia.

From a counting point of view, if these vehicles are bought in Finland, have they already been registered there also? Wonder if we should count those 30 registrations from Russia in addition to those in Finland or not. Anyone got an idea?

Last edited:
From a counting point of view, if these vehicles are bought in Finland, have they already been registered there also? Wonder if we should count those 30 registrations from Russia in addition to those in Finland or not. Anyone got an idea?

There is afaik no official import of new TMS to Russia, so all cars registered there has to be purchased somewhere else, and therefore accounted for there. If it Finland, Poland, Norway - or any other country does not matter.

There is afaik no official import of new TMS to Russia, so all cars registered there has to be purchased somewhere else, and therefore accounted for there. If it Finland, Poland, Norway - or any other country does not matter.

Accounted for in terms of sales, obviously yes, but also in terms of registrations? I guess Tesla would just do a temporary dealer registration for a test drive in Finland and once the car is in Russia, it is registered again. Then the question is if the temporary reg is counted in the official Finland numbers. Or maybe people do the test drive in another car, then the Tesla center would not have to register the car in Finland at all and it would be shipped to Russia right on arrival.

One thing standing out is the steady growth of sales in Denmark. Any details on whether his has any incentives involved? Ev-sales indicates that MS sales far outpace anything else and the order tracking spreadsheet is full of Denmark lines for Q3-Q4.

One thing standing out is the steady growth of sales in Denmark. Any details on whether his has any incentives involved? Ev-sales indicates that MS sales far outpace anything else and the order tracking spreadsheet is full of Denmark lines for Q3-Q4.

I remembered something about incentives ending and actually found that post - maybe someone local knows more about that:

Specifically for Denmark the Model S is tax-exempt until 31.12.2015 after that a base S85 will cost somewhere around $215.000 at which point all sales will stop forever.

Guess that helps orders now but not long term.

But Europe overall is not looking bad either, I think we will end up with about the same number of registrations for July (first month of Q3) as in May (2nd of Q2). Or comparing with April, that would be a 30% increase QoQ. But we are still missing numbers from Switzerland, France and Italy so can´t be sure just yet.

How do you see oil price impacting the economy ? I suppose Model S with tax benefits should be fine.

For Norway, Oil at $50 Is Worse Than the Global Financial Crisis - Bloomberg Business
It's likely to have a very slight impact. Places like Stavanger, our oil capitol, are the hardest hit, but to some extent the effects will propagate.

By itself, the oil price isn't that important. But the exchange rate for the USD against the NOK is getting worse and worse. Tesla has been able to avoid a sales collapse by introducing the 70D and then the 70, both of which are very good value for money, but the USD really shouldn't strengthen much more, or things will get much worse. The USD is at it's highest point since May 2002, currently at 8.26, and the highest it's been since 1960 is about 9.5, so historically, it shouldn't go much higher.

Of course, the oil price and the exchange rate are connected. We might need higher oil prices for the USD/NOK to normalize.

Hi guys,
Great news for me (should have cheked earlier this year). In my country, Romania, they started to publish monthly detailed statistics regarding car registrations. So far we have this:
January - 0
February - 0
March - 0
April - 4
May - 1
June - 3
July - 1

From what i can tell they're all 85D but judging from the other info the statistics are a mess, the power is listed as either 69 kw, 169 kw or 193 kw (70D has 328 total HP meaning 241 kW, 85D has 307 kW and P85D has over 500 kW - so none of that reflects on the numbers they published, another example of well spent public money but can't complain, at least they started).

At the end of 2014, not that matters now, there were registered 6 Model S and 1 Roadster.