Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Model 3 assembly in Tilberg makes sense. European GF can produce Model 3 and Y plus storage and possibly other vehicles.

Given rapid increase in European S/X sales and complications/IP risk in China I would not be surprised if European GF is prioritized over China GF.

News on German supercharger strategy (after Ladesäulenverordnung has forced all public DC fastchargers to include CCS): First new supercharger in Germany in a long time will have a gate that can be opened via a code (like the lounge at Kettleman). SC is open, gate not there yet though.

Link to German forum (info is spread over the thread):
Supercharger in Deutschland • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

In any event, Tesla would need to get cracking on this. Its already mid-March and model 3s destined for Europe in early 2019.
Hence, contract work to perhaps Magna seems feasible to me.

Yes, we need an announcement by Q1 CC I think to take the early 2019 in Europe seriously.

Unless by Europe they mean Norway or by early they mean May.

Looking at this old news from Tesla it seems like they indeed started with Norway for the Model S only to open Tilburg at a later date: Tesla Motors Opens Assembly Plant in Tilburg, Netherlands . Not sure if EU deliveries happened before that.

Hi guys
In his latest video Björn Nyland talks about some sort of mass delivery event coming in Norway. Possibly more than thousand cars could be delivered in one event. Does any of our norwegian members have more info about this thing? O is it even true? In the same video Björn also lurks around the Europes biggest service center which will be opened according to him in couple of months. Place looks massive!

Hi guys
In his latest video Björn Nyland talks about some sort of mass delivery event coming in Norway. Possibly more than thousand cars could be delivered in one event. Does any of our norwegian members have more info about this thing? O is it even true? In the same video Björn also lurks around the Europes biggest service center which will be opened according to him in couple of months. Place looks massive!

He mentions 1600 Teslas... a Tesla delivered every two minutes
Well, this better happen! This quarter has been very light in Europe so far, so we need a gigantic last 3 weeks to catch up!

Reactions: schonelucht
Does any of our norwegian members have more info about this thing? O is it even true?
I do not *know* anything, but have heard some rumours about that Tesla Norway have rented (part of?) "Norway Trade Fairs" in Lillestrøm for such an event. But I have not head anything about when. But I do not see any public event there from 19th this month until April.

... and all of this places - Grorud (existing Tesla SC), Karihaugen (future Tesla SC) and Lillestrøm is within few km of each others.

Edit: Btw, Bjørn did not know what this place at Karihaugen was before. From what I have heard it was an terminal for the Norwegian postal service.

Second hand source as well, but apparently this mail went out

Maybe Tesla Norway said:
Dear Customer,

We would like to come with a little update in relation to the delivery of your car at the end of March.

We are pleased to announce that we are planning a large delivery event at the Norwegian Trade Fair in Lillestrøm, in the second half of March, and will tell you that your car will be delivered there. If you are not available the last two weeks of March (remember Easter), it's nice if you return with a message that you are unavailable. We can assure you that we do everything we can to deliver your car as quickly as possible and we will of course contact you as soon as we know when your car can be delivered.

We receive many emails a day so we appreciate your patience very much by contacting you as soon as everything is done. If you have any questions, please contact us.

This will be great fun - and we look forward to calling you again as soon as we can set up a delivery time for your car.

Have a nice day

Also several customers report having received phone calls about availability near the end of the month (possibly some disappointment there since I guess Norwegians will be up in their cabins for Eastern?) But the biggest disappointment will be on Seeking Alpha where there are already quite a few posts gloating about how this is going to be a big down quarter.

News on German supercharger strategy (after Ladesäulenverordnung has forced all public DC fastchargers to include CCS): First new supercharger in Germany in a long time will have a gate that can be opened via a code (like the lounge at Kettleman). SC is open, gate not there yet though.

Link to German forum (info is spread over the thread):
Supercharger in Deutschland • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

Hobbes - or other Germans and anyone else knowledgeable on the subject - could it be possible that the code-necessary gate provides Tesla with the means to bypass the "public" nature of SpCs....thereupon skirting the CCS mandate?

Hi guys
I can relate my experience with Skøyen SC yesterday. My car it seems has an issue with it's SD card which means every OTA update gets corrupted and fails to install. That's what the technician found out yesterday after looking at the logs. They need to take the screen out and get to the card behind it to fix this, and hence a service appointment. The first available appointment at Skøyen is 31st of May, we are talking 2018 though. At Rud and Grorud the line was even longer. So they definately NEED more service capacity in the Oslo area.
"Bring" the Norwegian Postal Services B to B department with their green colors in contrast with the consumer part which has a red color scheme, had a major terminal at Karihaugen 100 . They closed it last year after moving that service together in a massive logistics terminal closer to the city centre. My service advisor said this would be the new service center that also Bjørn talked about and she said it should open this summer.
It's technically inside Oslo, as it's about 150 yards from the city limits, but lets say it's at the outskirts of Oslo :)
Hopefully this will get the service times down to below a month for a few years at least.

Cobos

Hobbes - or other Germans and anyone else knowledgeable on the subject - could it be possible that the code-necessary gate provides Tesla with the means to bypass the "public" nature of SpCs....thereupon skirting the CCS mandate?

Depends on local implementation. The EU wide directive says that local regulations should consider chargers with access authorization or behind barriers as public chargers (and henceforth have the CCS). This leaves room for the UK for example to implement an exemption for Tesla. However, the Dutch and French text use the word 'must' (but then in Dutch 'moeten' and French 'devoir') which does not leave this wiggle room. The german text uses 'sollte' but I am not knowledgable enough to say what the intent there is. Hopefully a German member can shed some light here. But count on the Germans to be strict. AFAIK neither France nor Belgium have already implemented the directive in local regulation so we don't yet know how it will turn out.

From my reading of the Dutch text, anyone with standing would win a judgment against Tesla if it tried to claim that adding a PIN is enough to call the supercharger private.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3 and Cobos
Depends on local implementation. The EU wide directive says that local regulations should consider chargers with access authorization or behind barriers as public chargers (and henceforth have the CCS). This leaves room for the UK for example to implement an exemption for Tesla. However, the Dutch and French text use the word 'must' (but then in Dutch 'moeten' and French 'devoir') which does not leave this wiggle room. The german text uses 'sollte' but I am not knowledgable enough to say what the intent there is. Hopefully a German member can shed some light here. But count on the Germans to be strict. AFAIK neither France nor Belgium have already implemented the directive in local regulation so we don't yet know how it will turn out.

From my reading of the Dutch text, anyone with standing would win a judgment against Tesla if it tried to claim that adding a PIN is enough to call the supercharger private.

If its not public any more say not accessible for other people it does not need to comply with the regulation for public charging. Its as simple as that.

Smart move from Tesla and waiting for the German Car industry to invent something against it..... I am certain they will try.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
If its not public any more say not accessible for other people it does not need to comply with the regulation for public charging. Its as simple as that.

Here is the EU directive. The German text reads

EU directive on alternative fuels infrastructure said:
(26)... Ein Ladepunkt oder eine Tankstelle, zu der private Nutzer aufgrund einer Genehmigung oder Mitgliedschaft physischen Zugang haben können, sollte als ein öffentlich zugänglicher Ladepunkt oder eine öffentlich zugängliche Tankstelle gelten.

You are a native German speaker, can you explain what this sentence means? The Dutch/French/English translation are all subtly different so I am genuinely curious.