Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe - Denmark - CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody
I am new in here and has just been testdriving the new Tesla Model S Performance.

This is the best car I have ever been driving, and just to tell you I have owned Mercedes AMG's, very fast BMW, lastly an Audi S5, but now I really feel it is time for a Tesla.
Here in Denmark we have alot of charging stations, but the problem is to get the cahrging done in an acceptable time !!!!!!!
the only system that can do that here in Denmark and in Europe is CHAdeMO !!!!!

As soon as I know that I can get an adapter so the model S can charge with CHAdeMO, then I order one !!!!!!

Please fill me in on the time spand before the CHAdeMO will be possible.

Look forward to hear from you !!!!!!!

if any danish Tesla people out there feel free to write !!!!!!

Welcome to the forum Fredtheduk - sounds like you're used to driving performance cars. Have you driven a Model S yet?

edit: Obviously you've driven one, you start out by saying so :). (I blame caffeine deficiency...)

Last edited:
@Fredtheduk

As soon as I know that I can get an adapter so the model S can charge with CHAdeMO, then I order one !!!!!!

Please fill me in on the time spand before the CHAdeMO will be possible.

Tweets from Norway (@gronnbilnorge): (translated from Norwegian):

# Tesla Model S will be able to use CHAdeMO. That's official! Elon Musk

I'm at the US ambassadors villa, Elon is speaking, CONFIRMS Chademo adapter for EU.

Don’t know the exact date you’ll be able to hold one in your hand in Denmark though, but perhaps Tesla Denmark or someone else on this forum can fill you in on the current timeframe.

Very glad to hear that you soon will be a tesla customer!

Last edited:
Interesting that I received two negative rep points for my above post being "insulting to Danes" when I MYSELF AM A DANE (well, my mother's Danish), and LOVE Denmark and think it's one of the greatest countries on earth (and wish that I lived there). My first name is the same as the majority of Danish KINGS for crissake.

But Danes in general are not prone to flagrant displays of wealth, nor do they appreciate it in others (in fact, there's an unwritten code known as the Janteloven that is still somewhat pervasive). A friend of my mother's parked a Bentley or Rolls somewhere in DK maybe 20 years ago and emerged to find it covered in feces.

My uncle is a hot-shot dentist there and his two Audis (one a convertible A5) generate envious, if not outright contemptuous, stares. Hell, we rented a Volvo XC70 wagon there (nothing anyone would turn around to look at stateside) five years ago and jaws were DROPPING as we passed through towns on the way from Brønderslev to Skagen (yes, on the more provincial mainland, but still).

So I stand by my comments and flip the middle finger to whomever gave me negative rep (for THIS thread, at least).

Nevertheless, if ever a luxury car were in the spirit of Denmark, then it's definitely the Model S - elegant, green, beautiful, and without arrogant waste. In fact, the interior just oozes Danish sensibility and design. Not even Henrik Fisker - a Dane - came anywhere close.

I applaud the OP for wanting an MS, and will congratulate him if he gets one - my "isn't it extravagant for a Dane?" question was merely hypothetical and playful, and I'd be shocked if my negative repper were a Dane, much less if I actually offended the OP.

Last edited:
With all your windpower, DK seems like a perfect place for EVs... But isn't a Tesla Model S a little extravagant for a Dane?

Interesting that I received two negative rep points for my above post being "insulting to Danes" when I MYSELF AM A DANE (well, my mother's Danish), and LOVE Denmark and think it's one of the greatest countries on earth (and wish that I lived there).

But Danes in general are not prone to flagrant displays of wealth, nor do they appreciate it in others (in fact, there's an unwritten code known as the Janteloven that is still somewhat pervasive). A friend of my mother's parked a Bentley or Rolls somewhere in DK maybe 20 years ago and emerged to find it covered in feces.

My uncle is a hot-shot dentist there and his two Audis (one a convertible A5) generate envious, if not outright contemptuous stares. Hell, we rented a Volvo XC70 wagon there (nothing anyone would turn around to look at stateside) five years ago and jaws were DROPPING as we passed through towns on the way from Brønderslev to Skagen (yes, on the more provincial mainland, but still).

So I stand by my comments and flip the middle finger to whomever gave me negative rep (for THIS thread, at least).
I think the problem with the comment might be associated with the phrase "with all your windpower". It is a fine pun if you wish to be insulting.

The sooner EVs are considered practical, the sooner such folks will accept even a luxury EV like the Tesla. So it will still get stares, etc., even in the next few years. But something like the Gen3 would not generate quite so many stares. The Model S is a fine vehicle and will remain so for many years.

I, like Zextraterrestrial, am also looking forward to the CHAdeMO and plan to get one as soon as possible once available.

I think the problem with the comment might be associated with the phrase "with all your windpower". It is a fine pun if you wish to be insulting.

Uh... Denmark leads the world in windpower and wind-turbine technology and production. Providing, I believe, about 30% of its electrical needs from wind power yearly (and I could've sworn that my uncle told me last summer during my last visit that there are days when 100% of the electricity used is wind-generated). Drive through - or merely fly over - Denmark and you will be astonished at the number of wind turbines you see.

So if you or anyone else thought I was being derisive or condescending (perhaps making a double entendre?) in mentioning windpower, you were sadly mistaken.

I sense a witch hunt against me now just because I offended people in the "Which Dress Goes Best With a Tesla" thread. But finding anything inappropriate or offensive in my Post #2 here is really reaching.

Last edited:
Uh... Denmark leads the world in windpower and wind-turbine technology and production. Providing, I believe, about 30% of its electrical needs from wind power yearly (and I could've sworn that my uncle told me last summer during my last visit that there are days where 100% of electricity used is wind-generated). Drive through - or merely fly over - Denmark and you will be astonished at the number of wind turbines you see.

So if you or anyone else thought I was being derisive or condescending (perhaps making a double entendre?) in mentioning wind power, you were sadly mistaken.
You see, I knew that. But you still took some offense. It is easily done when just staring at the words.

Well, I try to think about words, not merely stare at them - but whatever, point taken.

So, to rephrase "With all your windpower, DK seems like a perfect place for EVs..." in an attempt at clarification:

Given that Denmark is a world leader in green technologies and reducing carbon emissions, as demonstrated most markedly by its ever-expanding innovations within - and usage of - the field of
windpower, it seems perfectly poised, both philosophically and logistically, for the rapid and enthusiastic integration of electric automobiles.

Whew! I guess I really have to cover my ass around here from now on.

I've thought about this some more and now have a different viewpoint on the whole extravagant-for-a-Dane thing...

As in most (all?) of Western Europe, cars in DK are taxed to Hell. Presumably at least one of these reasons is due to curbing their environmental impact (easy to conclude, given how the taxes are greater for any ICE-powered car with, I believe, a displacement over 2 liters).

Now, while I have no idea what the position of the Danish government is with regard to EVs, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it would be in favor of them - precisely because of the preponderance of windpower in DK (making EVs more immune to the "EVs are NOT clean, because the energy to power them comes from coal burning/nukes/natural gas [i.e. fracking]" arguments that EVs face in the US, etc.).

So, while I was basing my "extravagant" hypothetical question on the fact that a car with a US-median sale price of $80K (pretty damn extravagant HERE, BTW) would likely cost way upward of $120K in DK, perhaps the simple reasons I mention above would lead the Danish government to incentivize their purchase - say, by NOT taxing the Hell out of them.

If that proves to be the case, a Model S might not be so extravagant in DK after all.

Last edited:
Relax (all) Holden haven't insulted anybody, be happy - no need to give anyone negative rep points for that. it was a fun comment to read (any dane would now what he ment).
Tesla is not a "too fine car" for danes, but its performance could very well be hard to understand for other danes...I fear free super chargers will not be taken well, someone could easy be envy about that, so personally Im not counting on it....
he have it spoot on.

Anyway back to Fredtheduk tread. welcome to you (velkommen til dig her på forumet). Tesla is well known for making adaptors, so it is expected that Tesla will provide a adaptor for Chademo. also as others have mentioned - how offen do you plan to need a charge when on the road.
most "on the road" chargers are too slow, Betterplace have offered me, but they only charge at 3 Kw/hour (12 km/hour)...imagine driving 20 km roundtrip to get to a charge station, the first 2 hours you are charging you gain 6 kw, witch will get you 24 km range....and since you might allready spend 20 km extra driving to get to the charge station you have gained 4 km range.....
This was also the same "speed" they will offer if they do install a home charger for you....not usefull for a 85 Kwh Tesla, it would take days to charge with that...

Might be different with Clever - but check out what charge rates they do offer....
a better solution is our ordenary washing mashine plugh - this is wide spread anywhere and can deliver 10 kw (33 km/hour)

Personally I just charge at home, and will never need to charge while on the road - a Super Charger in Fredericia would however be perfect - this would make traveling up/down jylland posible, and when I visit jylland from copenhagen I would need the charger right there.

Yes cars are taxed like hell, the tax should go to maintain the roads, bridges and like, but over time it have been used elsewhere.... it helps financing our free education, hopsitals etc. and keep the income tax lower (not low, but relative lower)

here are some facts:
- we pay a avarage 50% income tax.
- anything we buy have added a VAT of 25%
- ICE are added 180% tax for registration, add a yearly green/road tax on top of that.
- EV are only added the 25% VAT, and have no yearly geen/road tax
- 41% of our electricity comes from renewable energy (aprox 30% windpower) (mine is 100% solar power :) )

A BMW M5 or a Mercedes AMG would cost aprox 2000$/year in green/road tax, so subtract this from the total picture of EV's

You might find it high taxed but we are used to it, and most danes prefere it this way, its a safe country since most are equal