Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have any evidence that the European Model S will be at this years Geneva show or is this speculation on your part?
geneva.PNG

Form the technical side all can be possible what the people assumed here.

But let me talk about another aspect.

Some of you here assumed that the Model S for EU can have a Typ 2 plug at the car.
In my opinion that would be horrible. A Tesla Model S with such a ugly normal plug at the side ? That would look too normal and boring, like normal EVs and that is not the case for the Model S.

I hope that Tesla used the normal Tesla plug (I know only 2 pings, single phase) or design a new one with Tesla design and the remote control for opening the charging port. Perhaps with more than 3 pings.
I find that the Tesla plug looks so amazing and nice, like the car.
No normal plug could look so great.

The best idea is to design a new plug for europe in the Tesla design and give a lot of adapters for the other plugs, especialy for Typ 2 - new Tesla.

It will have Type 2 :smile:

I realize that my concerns a a little bit ridiculous but Model S is a nice car and the US plug look equal to the car and refer perfect to it and a Typ 2 plug with the car don't make the package so round how it is in the US.
It would be look like a not perfect solution in context to the whole car, if you take the view from the design point.

Last edited:
And where is the option to open the charging port with the charging plug ?
And where are the nice shape of the plug and the light around the port (that can be there also), Typ 2 plug are too ugly for this car.
Please look back through these posts and you'll find all your questions answered :smile:

Personally, I'm more interested in a standard connector that works well across Europe.

Please look back through these posts and you'll find all your questions answered :smile:

Personally, I'm more interested in a standard connector that works well across Europe.

You citited my deletet part, whatever.
I really know that Typ 2 or a new designed plug are the only options for Europe.

My prior posts were about an aesthetic question and the questiuon US cosumers have a great plug and european will have a ugly plug. If you compare the design of both plugs.
But I wrote it above a ridiculous question.

I don't see obstacles to reshape a Mennekes type 2 plug into a "cool" shape. Sure you must meet diameter and the circle with flattened top cross section, but apart from that? Go the banana way like Tesla. Add buttons with cool design language and some LEDs. Tesla could make a very cool looking type 2 compatible adaptation of the HPWC. I just believe it's not their top priority right now.

As far as I know, plug adaptors are explicitly forbidden in Europe, hence Tesla could not sell an adaptor to recharge the S in a Combo2 'pump'. As that recharging stations will be very common across Europe, the only way to use them is the Model S comes with a Combo2 plug.

That's what makes me assume it would be the choice of Tesla. It makes no sense at all to renounce to recharge in any standard Combo2 80 kW station.